Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: " Poor Man's " Atoma ?

" Poor Man's " Atoma ? 1 week 4 days ago #19206

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 464
razoredgeknives wrote:
Mark, I loved my 140 atomas... they worked GREAT. Only issue was as you mentioned, they lost the aggressiveness after about 30-40 knives and were practically useless. Now, I got mine from Ken Schwartz... not sure if he used the foil or the plates? what's the difference? It seemed to be the foil that was attached to the aluminum backing plate.

Some time ago there was a topic about this (you probably participated). A few of us (I think from Europe) had the idea of together buying some of the diamond-covered foil, since it was only sold in large sheets. I think I'd found a German dealer who sold this stuff. I then found out via other sources (sorry, my memory is not working too well today) that this stuff wasn't very durable.

I don't know the exact difference between the foil and the pad, but I think the foil is thinner, rollable and could be cut with some good shears. If the pad is the same material as the cover of a normal Atoma plate (and I think it is), it should be very good.

Maybe you should send Ken a mail (or have a Skype call ;) ).
Last Edit: 1 week 4 days ago by mark76.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

" Poor Man's " Atoma ? 1 week 4 days ago #19211

• DanMaloon
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 67
I used diamond plates from H.F. to flatten those ceramics. Cheap and it works. I wouldn't lap them on the W.E stones.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds