Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: " Poor Man's " Atoma ?

" Poor Man's " Atoma ? 8 months 1 week ago #14856

• DARRELLALLEN
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35
:unsure:

Question for y'all................if one needs to lap their set of Super Fine Ceramic stones, but cannot afford the Atoma plates just yet, what would y'all suggest trying to lap it with ?

I had thought of maybe trying some quality self adhesive sandpaper mounting it to a 12 x 12 granite tile from Home Depot, but have NO CLUE about what grit to use for the lapping ?

Any suggestions ?
Last Edit: 8 months 1 week ago by DARRELLALLEN. Reason: poor grammar
The administrator has disabled public write access.

" Poor Man's " Atoma ? 8 months 1 week ago #14859

• Mikedoh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 105
I know "grits aren't grits", but in looking at the grits comparison chart, wouldn't you want something comparable to ~ a 5k Chosera to flatten the 1600 ceramic? Isn't the texture you put on a ceramic basically its grit size?

" Poor Man's " Atoma ? 8 months 1 week ago #14865

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 229
ChefsKnivesToGo sell an inexpensive 140 plate www.chefknivestogo.com/140grdistflp.html 22€ sorry my browser converts from dollars to euros.

" Poor Man's " Atoma ? 8 months 1 week ago #14867

• Mikedoh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 105
Leo,
Doesn't a ceramic take on the "coarseness" characteristics of what it has been lapped with? I.e. If lapped with an Atoma 140, you end up with ~ a ceramic version of the 140?

" Poor Man's " Atoma ? 8 months 1 week ago #14868

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 229
Now that is something that I am not sure about although there was a topic on lapping & ceramics some time ago.
The 140 is good for the lower grit Choseras you can get cheap fine diamond plates for the finer grits even some of the smaller DMT plates are not that pricey .
I think Ken suggests 3 different grit plates for lapping . ~I have a Shapton glass lapping plate but that is expensive although it will do most grits but I use the 140 plate I suggested for lower grits .
You can also use silicon carbide powder and use that with water on glass it gradually breaks down so lapp the courser grits first then move onto the finer grits as the powder becomes finer . You can let it dry on the glass and re hydrate it when you need it .
You may find this is the least expensive option if you can find somewhere local that sells it in alb or half lb bags.
As for the ceramics refer to the posts on them here.
I did not read the first question properly but fine silicon carbide on glass should be the way to go .
Last Edit: 8 months 1 week ago by LeoBarr.
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds