Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Rigotti Knives and Chatter

Re: Rigotti Knives and Chatter 2 years 1 month ago #4246

• wickededge
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 648
After the .25 Kangaroo strops, I went on to sharpen the knife on the 5000# and 10000# Chosera Stones. I was surprised to find the edge a little ragged afterward though it was still wonderfully sharp:

Rigotti-10k-Chosera-800x-sm.jpg

Zoom
After sharpening the Rigotti on the 10000# Chosera Stones I went back to the .25um Diamond on Kangaroo strops and got a very nice result:

Rigotti-.25um-Kangaroo-after-10k-Chosera-sm.jpg

Zoom
I lowered the angle significantly before stropping the knife to prevent any convex shaping, which worked out really well but didn't clean up the knife edge as much as I'd like so the next step will probably be to strop the knife again a few degrees wider per side.

At this point, the knife is so sharp that its weight alone is almost too much pressure on the reed and I have to pull back a little to only take a single fiber.

I decided to widen the angle by two degrees per side and re-strop the knife with the .25um Diamond on Leather Strops:

Rigotti-.25um-Kangaroo-after-10k-Chosera-2nd-Pass-sm.jpg

Zoom
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Rigotti Knives and Chatter 2 years 1 month ago #4247

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
wickededge wrote:
I lowered the angle significantly before stropping the knife to prevent any convex shaping, which worked out really well but didn't clean up the knife edge as much as I'd like so the next step will probably be to strop the knife again a few degrees wider per side.

I decided to widen the angle by two degrees per side and re-strop the knife with the .25um Diamond on Leather Strops:

Hate to do this (again) but could you be a little more specific? :) "lowered significantly" doesn't say much. And I'm really interested in the "widen the angle by two degrees...". do you mean 2 degrees above what you sharpened it at?

Thanks!

Re: Rigotti Knives and Chatter 2 years 1 month ago #4248

• wickededge
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
Ah yes, details :) I had sharpened the blade at 23/21 degrees. In that last round of experiments I lowered the angle to 20/18 degrees which worked out pretty well but didn't get quite to the edge enough to clean it up so I widened it back out to 22/20 degrees which seemed to work well without too much convexing of the edge.
cbwx34 wrote:
wickededge wrote:

Hate to do this (again) but could you be a little more specific? :) "lowered significantly" doesn't say much. And I'm really interested in the "widen the angle by two degrees...". do you mean 2 degrees above what you sharpened it at?

Thanks!
--Clay Allison
The following user(s) said Thank You: cbwx34

Re: Rigotti Knives and Chatter 2 years 1 month ago #4249

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
Thanks mucho!!

Re: Rigotti Knives and Chatter 2 years 1 month ago #4277

• Rhautbois1
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Mark - it seems the Rigotti's are made with a brittle steel. Some of my older Rigottt's will sharpen with diamond stones but the newer ones simply won't. The knife Clay sharpened was the worst of the bunch - I called it my 'chatter-baby'. Many oboists however use the knives and it was critical to find a solution.

Re: Rigotti Knives and Chatter 2 years 1 month ago #4516

• wickededge
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
Did some more work on these knives today and took pictures at 800x:

Rigotti-10k-Chosera-1um-Strop-sm.jpg

I sharpened the knife with the following progression: 2k/3k and 5k/10k Choseras followed by the 1um Diamond and Leather Strops.
--Clay Allison
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds