Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: how do you sharpen your recurve ZT350 or ZT300?

Re: how do you sharpen your recurve ZT350 or ZT300? 1 year 10 months ago #4882

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 288
PhilipPasteur wrote:
Scott,
With the finer stones (2000 and 3000) chosera stones initially there was some flaking of the edges, but I just lightened up the stroke a bit and all was ok.

I didn't notice any deeper scratches due to hittng the blade with the edges of the stone in the recurve area. I used up to 100X magnification. After all, the sbrasives on the edge of the stone are the same as those in the middle. A nice light touch, it seems, prevents any gouging.

The rounded stones will help getting more abrasive at the edge and maybe speed things up some, But, if you did not have them you should still be able to sharpen the 350 just fine. For setting the bevel, the stock diamonds (from my experience) should work just fine.

Phil

If you lap the "corners" or edges of the choseras they will not flake off/scrape off, and also they will not leave any chips in the edge of your knife once they are smoothed out (I learned this the hard way, lol). In fact, I can use the corners of my choseras now to do heavy re-curves just fine... it doesn't eat them away at all and works great.

+1 on the stock diamonds working on re-curves as well!

Phil, you should post some pics for us for motivation! lol :)
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by razoredgeknives.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: how do you sharpen your recurve ZT350 or ZT300? 1 year 10 months ago #4883

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
I will try to do that. Got a new camera and trying to figure out how to get postable ...decent pictures out of it. The full 18 megapixel photos are way too big... even cropping does not make them of decent size. I will see what I can do this evening.
BTW, I have chamfered the edges on all of the Choseras... maybe not enough. I had to on my 10K... I almost had a heart attack when I chipped one...
:)
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!

Re: how do you sharpen your recurve ZT350 or ZT300? 1 year 10 months ago #4897

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
Here are a few photos of the Cold Steel Spartan... It has been used a bunch since sharpening. I cut at least 50 suckers off of my Silver Maple tree. Some as big as my little finger (diameter). Have cut cardboard and half inch nylon rope. In other words, it is not a show piece right off of the sharpener with a mirror edge. The knife is a beast !! Just AUS8A, but they must have done a good job with the tempering. It is still pretty darn sharp...at least arm hair shaving sharp. A bit short of push cutting copy paper, but easily slices the same.

Phil
Attachments:
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by PhilipPasteur.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds