Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Benchmade

TOPIC: Benchmade "Bone Collector" in D2

Re: Benchmade "Bone Collector" in D2 1 year 6 months ago #9552

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
FredHermann wrote:
I also am not knowledgeable enough to know the difference between regular D2, and CPM-D2....

My understanding is that it better mixes the carbides, and reduces grain size.

CPMSteel.png
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Benchmade "Bone Collector" in D2 1 year 6 months ago #9561

• ApexGS
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 51
JamesBare wrote:
I stopped at the 1k stone on my grip and 10 strokes per side with the 5 and 3.5 leather strops with the bc.

I've basically made the 1k diamond + cleanup strokes with the 5->3.5um strops my de facto EDC edge over the past couple months. It seems to work great on anything and isn't much more work on top of just stopping on the 1k stones. At least until my 1k stones wear in a bit more I think hitting the edge with the strops does a great job of balancing toothy and refined edge.
Your friendly neighborhood gunsmith!
- Tom

Re: Benchmade "Bone Collector" in D2 1 year 6 months ago #9564

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 399
My understanding is that it better mixes the carbides, and reduces grain size.

CPMSteel.png

Interesting pictures, Curtis. Where did you get them from? I also wonder whether these pics really make sense. As far as I know the carbide size in "conventional" steels varies widely.
Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by mark76.

Re: Benchmade "Bone Collector" in D2 1 year 6 months ago #9567

• KenBuzbee
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 110
mark76 wrote:
I also wonder whether these pics really make sense. As far as I know the carbide size in "conventional" steels varies widely.

Which is exactly what that picture shows. The CPM shot shows smaller and more uniformly distributed carbides where the conventional shot has sizes and concentrations all over the map, from large ares of solid carbide to huge areas of no carbide. Makes sense to me...

Ken
玉鋼

Re: Benchmade "Bone Collector" in D2 1 year 6 months ago #9569

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 399
KenBuzbee wrote:
mark76 wrote:
I also wonder whether these pics really make sense. As far as I know the carbide size in "conventional" steels varies widely.

Which is exactly what that picture shows. The CPM shot shows smaller and more uniformly distributed carbides where the conventional shot has sizes and concentrations all over the map, from large ares of solid carbide to huge areas of no carbide. Makes sense to me...

Ken

I guess we misunderstand eachother. I was trying to say that the carbide size in "conventional" steels may vary widely from steel type to steel type. (Also within one steel, but that is not what I was trying to say.) In other words: what is a conventional steel? For example, 12C26 is a conventional (?) steel that has quite small carbides that are quite uniformly distributed. See, e.g., www.smt.sandvik.com/en/products/strip-st...tors/microstructure/ . D2 is indeed quite "bad", both with regard to maximum particle size and evenness of distribution.
Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by mark76.

Re: Benchmade "Bone Collector" in D2 1 year 6 months ago #9570

• cbwx34
mark76 wrote:
Interesting pictures, Curtis. Where did you get them from? I also wonder whether these pics really make sense. As far as I know the carbide size in "conventional" steels varies widely.

I don't recall... probably from the CPM website. I would guess that the "conventional steel" is one they make a CPM version of, so probably not indicative of all steels.

Re: Benchmade "Bone Collector" in D2 1 year 6 months ago #9571

• KenBuzbee
  • Platinum Boarder
mark76 wrote:

I guess we misunderstand eachother. I was trying to say that the carbide size in "conventional" steels may vary widely from steel type to steel type.

Ah, I understand. Yes, I was assuming the shot was CPM D2 versus non CPM D2, which would make sense. But your point is right, it's not linear between different steels.

Ken
玉鋼

Re: Benchmade "Bone Collector" in D2 1 year 6 months ago #9658

• cbwx34
Sorry about the confusion on the picture.

Had a chance to repeat the "testing" I did the other day that caused me some issues, and so far so good. No wire edge, and no evidence of chipping, etc. So maybe now I've got a good edge to work with.

Re: Benchmade "Bone Collector" in D2 1 year 5 months ago #10129

• cbwx34
After grinding down the back, I've used this for EDC tasks, and a little extra... nothing big, cut some cardboard, open mail, did a few rope cuts, etc. Under a 60X microscope, I can see some teeeny tiny -- what looks like chips in the edge. Not big enough to notice in cutting... it will still cleanly slice paper, etc. but they're there. So maybe that's the "carbides coming out" but it doesn't really effect performance?

Anyway, seems to be holding up well, I'm not seeing any issues that would make me consider going to a higher angle.

So far, so good! :)

Re: Benchmade "Bone Collector" in D2 1 year 5 months ago #10134

• KenBuzbee
  • Platinum Boarder
Excellent! Very good to hear. Keep us posted, Curtis.

Ken
玉鋼
The following user(s) said Thank You: cbwx34
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds