Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Need Suggestions For a New EDC

Re: Need Suggestions For a New EDC 1 year 9 months ago #7904

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
FredHermann wrote:
And if it matters, I like harder steels...I have a great VG-10 folder, but it's just too big...

Spyderco made a couple of their Native series in VG-10 (the Native 3 and 4 I believe)... discontinued, but you can still find them for sale.

How 'bout a VG-10 Damscus? :woohoo: :P

Caly3Damascus.jpg

Spyderco Caly3 Damascus
(Just saw the cool pic on their site...)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Need Suggestions For a New EDC 1 year 9 months ago #7907

• wickededge
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 648
That's really pretty! I love VG-10; great steel, great value.
--Clay Allison

Re: Need Suggestions For a New EDC 1 year 9 months ago #7908

• FredHermann
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 41
Wow, that's pretty.
I quit being a fan of Spydeco about 10 years ago when I had a couple of their knives either break or fall apart. Customer service back then was near non existant. So I assume they have gotten better, I keep seeing lots of posts about their stuff.

They have a number of knives that are catching my eye, but so far their damascus one and the Fallkniven are my favorites, based on looks alone.
“On one otherwise normal Tuesday evening I had the chance to live the American dream. I was able to throw my incompetent jack*ss of a boss from a fourteenth-story window.”

Owen Pitt – Monster Hunter International

Re: Need Suggestions For a New EDC 1 year 9 months ago #7910

• KenBuzbee
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 110
FredHermann wrote:
I quit being a fan of Spydeco about 10 years ago when I had a couple of their knives either break or fall apart. Customer service back then was near non existant. So I assume they have gotten better,

Hmmm.. Spyderco Customer service has always been top notch, in my experience. I've owned Spydercos since the early - mid '80s and never had an issue. I've also never had one break or worse, fall apart. I only have about 70 of them but I think that's a pretty good sampling, both for CS and QC.

Here's a few of them:

I have destroyed a few clips over the years but nothing a new clip and screws couldn't fix.

I think they are worth a look.

Ken
玉鋼
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by KenBuzbee.

Re: Need Suggestions For a New EDC 1 year 9 months ago #7914

• leomitch
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 209
Heavens to Betsy mate!! What a fine collection! So you love Spyderco stuff do you! LOL!
Hey Ken, in case I don't get a chance later, Merry Christmas my friend. Have happy and healthy holiday!

Leo
Never go anywhere without your knife!
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell

Re: Need Suggestions For a New EDC 1 year 9 months ago #7915

• KenBuzbee
  • Platinum Boarder
leomitch wrote:
Heavens to Betsy mate!! What a fine collection! So you love Spyderco stuff do you! LOL!
Hey Ken, in case I don't get a chance later, Merry Christmas my friend. Have happy and healthy holiday!

Hey Leo,

Thanks. And that's just the ones I could easily lay my hands on. There are more... In the garage, in the car, in the nightstand...... I also have a bunch of their sharpening gear, which is all very good.

Yea, I do. Nice innovatative products. Great choice of steels and overall I just really like their philosophy and business model.

Merry Christmas to you and yours, brother. May it bring you many blessings!

Ken
玉鋼

Re: Need Suggestions For a New EDC 1 year 9 months ago #7916

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
FredHermann wrote:
Wow keep them coming. And if it matters, I like harder steels...I have a great VG-10 folder, but it's just too big...

If you are thinking of a hard steel, and Spyderso might interest you, check out the Caly 3 in a ZDP 189 laminate with polished carbo fiber scales. The knife is made in Japan and I have not seen specifics on the hardness. Hitachi recommends Rc 65 to 68. I have read that Spyderco does their in house heat treat to Rc 64. In any case the Caly 3 is quite hard as evidenced by the time it took me to sharpen it the first time around.

I carry mine and use it for everything that I would any of the other knives I have in my daily cary rotation. The guy doing the review is... well interesting. I put the link in because he has some nice video of the knife...

It has a 3" blade and is pretty thin and light. It handles well though due to the handle design and the gimping. It definitely cuts bigger than its blade size. Only thing I find is a negative is the back lock. It works well and locks up solid, but it is a pain in the butt...for me anyway. to close. A two hand job.

BTW I have one of the Kershaw 1555Ti Cryo knives. As Curtis said it is a nice little knife, and cheap. You can get it for under $30. It was voted the best vlaue knife at the 2012 Blade Show. Definitely something you could get to play with and not break the bank.

I love your knives Leo, but I couldn't see carying one of them every day... I would be scared to scratch it or lose it. They would probably be in my safe to be pampered and polished... and shown to friends to produce envy
:)

Phil
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by PhilipPasteur.

Re: Need Suggestions For a New EDC 1 year 9 months ago #7917

• leomitch
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 209
I know what you mean Phil. I was the same for awhile but finally as I used them more and more, they both proved to be tough hombres, even the pretty French knife...both also sharp as the dickens. My Le Trappeur is used around the kitchen daily.
and my wife who is afraid of most of my knives, loves this French beauty.

Cheers
Leo
Never go anywhere without your knife!
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell

Re: Need Suggestions For a New EDC 1 year 9 months ago #7922

• FredHermann
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 41
Wow...even more. This is good stuff.
My Spydeco luck must have been bad...or I chose their worst and caught them on a bad day.
The little Kershaw does look fun. And I will dig more into the spydeco site.
And Ken....that's a mighty fine pile of knives. :)
“On one otherwise normal Tuesday evening I had the chance to live the American dream. I was able to throw my incompetent jack*ss of a boss from a fourteenth-story window.”

Owen Pitt – Monster Hunter International

Re: Need Suggestions For a New EDC 1 year 9 months ago #7925

• KenBuzbee
  • Platinum Boarder
FredHermann wrote:
And Ken....that's a mighty fine pile of knives. :)

Thanks brother. Now I just need more pockets ;)

Ken
玉鋼
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds