Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Need Suggestions For a New EDC

Re: Need Suggestions For a New EDC 1 year 8 months ago #7951

• Geocyclist
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 156
Honestly, If you love the Leek more than anything else buy 2 of them. Keep one as a spare.

If you want to try something different I love the Benchmade 940's. I love the Axis Lock system. It is butter and just works great. The Leek blade shape is pretty unique. The 940 shape is love it or hate it. My first thoughts of the 940 was hate it, but it is a quite functional shape. The 940 also has a slim profile and doesn't raise too many eyes in the office. You can get a decent variety of steels, CPM M4, S30V, 154CM. Some old models have D2. If you like D2 you will love M4 as long as corrosion resistance is not an issue. If you want a more of a clip point/drop point the 943 is the same knife, different blade shape.

Benchmades cost more, but I think they are worth it.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Need Suggestions For a New EDC 1 year 8 months ago #7957

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
The The Model 940-121 lists for $500.00 ,<Gulp>
Somehow I though that he was looking for a Leek like $60 to $80 ish sort of price.
I sure can't get to where I would want a $500 EDC to bet up the way I do knives...

I did get out and checked on the knife though. I love the BM Axis lock and I really like M4 steel.

I see the S30v version is available for about $150. Now you are dealing with Aluminum scales, not my favorite handle material...

I have The Model 940-121 Benchmade Mini Presidio Ultra Knife that I like pretty well. It has the axis lock, is nice and light and handles well. From the OP he did not want anything too big. the Mini is under 3".
Nothing fancy in the steel department, though 440C is not bad at all. I am including a pic a a neat looking version. Mine has the black blade...with no graphics and balck scales.

I have proably 20 Benchmade knives, some are over 20 years old and well used. One could do much worse .. if you find one that fits your budget...

Just my thoughts..
Phil
Attachments:
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!

Re: Need Suggestions For a New EDC 1 year 8 months ago #7958

Not sure what you think about 154CM but I think it does very well. I really love my Benchmade Torrent for EDC. It has a 58-61HRC. Blade length is about 3 3/4" though so it might be a little big for your liking but it has a low pocket clip so it sits low in the pocket!

Re: Need Suggestions For a New EDC 1 year 8 months ago #7965

• KenBuzbee
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 110
PhilipPasteur wrote:
The The Model 940-121 lists for $500.00 ,<Gulp>

Yeah, Benchmade gold class aren't cheap. That's for sure. They've done more cost effect CPM-M4s though.

Ken
玉鋼
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by KenBuzbee.

Re: Need Suggestions For a New EDC 1 year 8 months ago #7968

• JamesBell
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
GREAT Topic !

Have enjoyed taking a look at all the suggested knifes, several I had never seen before.
I keep a Spyderco Native around just to see how I can abuse it, thus far it has been a fun and tough EDC to have around.
- James

Re: Need Suggestions For a New EDC 1 year 8 months ago #7974

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
A little FYI, I happened to catch this a.m. If you purchase a Kershaw knife shipped/sold thru Amazon worth $50 or more, they take $15 off. Says it's good thru 12/22.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PhilipPasteur

Re: Need Suggestions For a New EDC 1 year 8 months ago #7976

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
cbwx34 wrote:
A little FYI, I happened to catch this a.m. If you purchase a Kershaw knife shipped/sold thru Amazon worth $50 or more, they take $15 off. Says it's good thru 12/22.

Great info Curtis!!
I just picked up a couple of these for Xmas gifts:
www.bladeauthority.com/Kershaw_Rake_s/250.htm

and one for me... Amazon price and $15 off makes them a very nice deal.

Phil
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!

Re: Need Suggestions For a New EDC 1 year 8 months ago #7979

• coryschnaufer
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
I have been using a buck vantage pro as my edc for the last few months and I have really enjoined this knife. It has the S30V steel and a very deep carry pocket clip that fits my activities very well. I also rotate a couple of benchmade a in and out of the line up. I love the axis lock but I hate that they always make there knives a little on the heavy side. As for the spyderco I have a love hate relationship with them. I love the quality of there knives and have owned and carried a few but I HATE there pocket clips and to be honest most of there blade shapes. If I had a the money to drop on a knife right now though it would be a ZT561. It is a little heavy but I sure do like the look of that knife and have read a lot of good reviews also.

Re: Need Suggestions For a New EDC 1 year 8 months ago #8068

• MarkBellou
  • Fresh Boarder
I 2nd the Benchmade 940. Superb size, deployment, shape, quality, and performance. Made in USA. I also like the ZT 0560.

Re: Need Suggestions For a New EDC 1 year 7 months ago #8558

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
Hey Fred...

What'd you end up getting? :)
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds