Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Spyderco Endura 4 advise please.

Spyderco Endura 4 advise please. 1 month 5 days ago #18475

• 247sniper
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
wickededge wrote:
247sniper wrote:
Thanks for your help and advise my friend. What I'm worried of a bit, is if I have an ultra sharp knife, will,the edge still last a good while as if I didn't give it such a good edge?
Steve

Interesting question, kind of complex because it also should include the nature of the sharp edge e.g. toothy vs. polished. One thing is certain, force applied to the edge makes the blade dull by deforming the metal at the edge. A dull knife requires more force in order to cut so you're having to apply more force right off the bat with a dull knife. A sharp knife doesn't require as much force so it's protected from being deformed for longer.

Hi Clay, thanks for the help and guidance, it totally makes sense what you have said.

Many thanks

Steve
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge

Spyderco Endura 4 advise please. 1 month 5 days ago #18477

• Duane
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
a highly polished push-cutting edge is limited to certain (few) uses…

You're absolutely right, but, it's still pretty cool opening your mail with one!

Spyderco Endura 4 advise please. 1 month 5 days ago #18478

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 381
247sniper wrote:
[quote="
Just make sure to only do around 10 passes with the 5 or even 10-14 um strops after you have lowered your stropping angle by 1-2 degrees. This should produce some extremely sharp edges!

Thanks again mate, helpful info there.

Could you just explain the top bit again for me, a bit clearer so I understand ya, still learning all this stuff lol :blush:

Cheers

Steve.[/quote]

Sure Steve =)

When you go from your 600 grit stone to your strop, you only want to use about 10 light passes on each side. Also, before you actually begin stropping you need to lower your angle on each side by a degree or two (below what your stone was). Make sure you are using the angle cube if you have one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 247sniper

Spyderco Endura 4 advise please. 1 month 5 days ago #18479

• Geocyclist
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 161
I can't add much to the "sharp" discussion that hasn't already been said.

As the Endura is a full flat ground, FFG, blade I would also suggest getting some practice on other knives, especially ones with squared spines. These are easy to clamp in straight. The FFG has to a.) be shimmed in the vice to keep the angle equal on both sides (using tape, puffy tape, moleskin, etc.) or b.) clamp the left side flush agaist the vise, shim the other side for a tight fit, then use the angle finder to see the difference of left side vs right side, then adjust the angle of your stones accordingly.

I tried method A first and found the blade still moves around. I now prepare method B, just clamp it in hard and do the math with the angles. I think around here people use both methods for FFG knives.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge

Spyderco Endura 4 advise please. 1 month 5 days ago #18483

• tcmeyer
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 225
Josh's suggestion to limit the number of strop strokes is dead-on for finishing a toothy edge. If you strop too many times, you polish off the micro-serrations that helps you cut very tuff or very slippery stuff. The scalpel blades I have are polished only on one side to preserve their tooth. A 600-grit or even a 1000-grit edge has "tooth", the micro-serrations which bite into the material you're trying to cut. Stropping removes the rough surface scratches which produce friction between the bevel faces and the material outside of the cut point. It makes a big difference in cutting performance, but you want to avoid the chance of knocking down the serrations at the apex.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge, GibCurry, 247sniper

Spyderco Endura 4 advise please. 1 month 5 days ago #18484

• 247sniper
  • Junior Boarder
razoredgeknives wrote:
247sniper wrote:
[quote="
Just make sure to only do around 10 passes with the 5 or even 10-14 um strops after you have lowered your stropping angle by 1-2 degrees. This should produce some extremely sharp edges!

Thanks again mate, helpful info there.

Could you just explain the top bit again for me, a bit clearer so I understand ya, still learning all this stuff lol :blush:

Cheers

Steve.

Sure Steve =)

When you go from your 600 grit stone to your strop, you only want to use about 10 light passes on each side. Also, before you actually begin stropping you need to lower your angle on each side by a degree or two (below what your stone was). Make sure you are using the angle cube if you have one.[/quote]

Excellent thanks for that Josh, that has cleared it up. Just to confirm, if I sharpen my knife at say 20 degrees, lower the stropping angle to say 18-19 degrees, thus stropping most off the bevel but leaving the very edge serrated ever so slightly to leave a slight toothed cutting edge, is that correct?

Cheers

Steve

Spyderco Endura 4 advise please. 1 month 5 days ago #18485

• 247sniper
  • Junior Boarder
Cheers thanks everyone,very helpful advise given, many thanks

Steve

Spyderco Endura 4 advise please. 1 month 5 days ago #18486

• Mikedoh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 125
You are correct about stroppimg a 20 dps (degrees per side) edge at 18-19 degrees.

Spyderco Endura 4 advise please. 1 month 1 day ago #18544

• tcmeyer
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 225
A follow-up to my earlier post...

Tonight I happened to come across a couple of micro-photos I'd taken of a scalpel and thought I'd share them here with you gents. The first two photos here are of a brand-new scalpel blade, just out of the sterile wrapper. These scalpels are ground with about a 25-degree included angle. As you can see, the edge is quite toothy, but the single polished side makes for a very sharp edge that'll cut just about anything organic. Look closely at the edge in the non-polished photo and you'll see the micro-serrations. The third photo is presented for comparison of the grind patterns. It's a reference photo taken at the same magnification of a 400 grit grind pattern on an old Sheffield blade. The stone is pretty new - not yet broken in. Without actually measuring the scratch marks, I'd guess the scalpel is ground with about 600 grit. ??

Scalpelnon-polishedside.jpg

Scalpelpolishedside.jpg

400gritdiamondsample.jpg
Last Edit: 1 month 1 day ago by tcmeyer. Reason: Insert photos
The following user(s) said Thank You: razoredgeknives, mark76, Mikedoh, 247sniper

Spyderco Endura 4 advise please. 1 month 1 day ago #18546

• 247sniper
  • Junior Boarder
Very interesting photos,thanks for that ;)

Steve
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds