Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Problems sharpening Japanese kitchen knife

Problems sharpening Japanese kitchen knife 6 months 3 weeks ago #15963

• JameyHoward
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
LeoBarr wrote:
Practically none below 15Ëšas said really fine angles are just not practical in general...

Well, I disagree with that, but obviously it does hinge on your own personal definition of "practical".

What I will say is this... Almost every knife I have sharpened since I first got the WE has been below 15 degrees per side, even before I had the low angle adapter.

Most of the knives I have done have been between 12.5 - 14 degrees per side.

I much prefer them at this angle, they feel much sharper, much nicer to use and I'm careful with the way I use knives so they don't get damaged too quickly.

Obviously they are going to need sharpening again sooner than if I used a flatter angle, but I don't mind that... I bought the Wicked Edge because I enjoy sharpening, so I'm always happy to touch up knives to keep them working well, and I don't mind doing it a little sooner in exchange for sharper knives.

Now a lot of my knives couldn't handle any lower than the angles mentioned above but the few knives I have in good steels are ones I would expect to be able to go down to 10 degrees really. And like I said, my Akifusa Gyuto is/was fine with ten degrees per side and slices beautifully. But like I said that's a PM steel, not a carbon steel.

So maybe the key is to use hard PM steels instead of hard carbon ones.

Sadly I don't think anybody makes a kitchen knife in ZDP-189, do they? :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Problems sharpening Japanese kitchen knife 6 months 3 weeks ago #15966

• BluntCut
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Sure there are... examples of a few
* J.A. Henckel Cermax MC66 knives, e.g. TWIN Cermax MD67
* Search zdp-189 in CKTG site
* konosuke zdp 189
Last Edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by BluntCut.

Problems sharpening Japanese kitchen knife 6 months 3 weeks ago #15967

• JameyHoward
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
BluntCut wrote:
Sure there are... examples of a few
* J.A. Henckel Cermax MC66 knives, e.g. TWIN Cermax MD67
* Search zdp-189 in CKTG site
* konosuke zdp 189

Cool, I'll have a look around then.

Expect a forum post from me in future entitled "My new ZDP-189 knife won't sharpen at 6 degrees per side and now I've ruined it" ;)

Problems sharpening Japanese kitchen knife 6 months 3 weeks ago #15969

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 237
I have a HAP-40 laminated Santuku Hap - 40 can be hardened to Rockwell 68 . I believe it is around 64/65 in my particular knife.
It is a beautiful thin blade that did need a little sharpening when I got it and I did manage to micro chip the edge this was slicing and I thought I was been careful but I realised I was putting a tiny twist on the blade as it made contact with the board I could almost feel it catching and chipping so I steepened the angle a little and now it is fine . Even though the blade is laminated it is very thin and almost weightless and cuts through stuff almost as if it isn't there it is second only to the Honyaki which is Blue Steel but forged.

My ZDP-189 is rated at 67.1
Clay either had or sharpened a steel that is rated above HAP-40
HAP -40 chefs knives are available; CKTG do one or two mine is from www.fine-tools.com/messerp.htm
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds