Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Can't get cheap knife super sharp

Can't get cheap knife super sharp 7 months 3 weeks ago #15608

• Mikedoh
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 125
Went to amazon, skimmed the rant. Sad that some people are the way they are. Cannot be satisfied. Offers were made to appease customer. Customer just mad at the world.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: leomitch

Can't get cheap knife super sharp 7 months 3 weeks ago #15614

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
Mikedoh wrote:
Went to amazon, skimmed the rant. Sad that some people are the way they are. Cannot be satisfied. Offers were made to appease customer. Customer just mad at the world.

Maybe one of the best things I've read in a review...

Sir George wrote:
Seems like Wicked Edge has great customer service. This would be the first time a 1 star review made me want to buy an item even more.

Pretty much summed it up. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge, leomitch

Can't get cheap knife super sharp 7 months 3 weeks ago #15616

• leomitch
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 209
Hi Curtis!
I couldn't resist taking a shot at him as he was being a real horse's neck. :blink: Seems like he didn't want to be helped or ameliorated, just plain nasty. The review you quoted was excellent, I missed that one.
Cheers
Leo
Never go anywhere without your knife!
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell

Can't get cheap knife super sharp 7 months 3 weeks ago #15617

• Mikedoh
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 125
I'd gone back to amazon earlier this morning and reread the Amazon rating (ranting) before I saw your post, Curtis. Sir George's response was great and really put things in perspective.

Can't get cheap knife super sharp 7 months 2 weeks ago #15700

• zig
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37
Silly thing to say about the WE, to say the least.
With the WE, you are working the edge and only the edge.
Yes you may be reprofiling, but even then, you are working the edge and only the edge.

Not to mention your removing just enough, just the right amount to get whatever you're aiming at.

Your not grinding, grating, sanding and you are certainly not thinning.

Unless you got nothing better to do than to sit on the WE with a 80 grit and watch TV, I can see no reason for that kind of statement.
It is not a machine. You are the machine, the WE is an extension of you.
www.zbsharpening.com
Knife Sharpening Service
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
908-635-2748
The following user(s) said Thank You: leomitch

Can't get cheap knife super sharp 7 months 2 weeks ago #15701

• leomitch
  • Administrator
"You are the machine, the WE is an extension of you."
Very Zen Zig and very true. I have said since the outset, that using the WEPS can be a very Zen experience and from your response and others I have seen around this forum, I know many feel the same way.
What he was saying was complete balderdash. I am certain he didn't raise a burr on each side and he probably used lots of pressure throughout the process, but most of all I think he had buyer's remorse. Why he didn't accept Clay's generous offer is beyond me. I think he just wanted to rant and attract attention, which he did, but not the kind he really wanted. It cost him dearly, so I hope he enjoyed his rant.

Cheers
Leo
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell

Can't get cheap knife super sharp 7 months 2 weeks ago #15702

• zig
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37
Thanks Leo,
And to take it a step further, you really use all your senses when sharpening.... well maybe not taste.

But even on a machine, if I'm working edge down, my eyes are gauging the angle from the top and since I can't see the bur, its my fingers that give it a quick feel after a pass or two.
Even the sound of the stones breaking in tell you something, or when they hit a rough patch, as well as hearing it, then you go to the eyes and touch.

One thing thats pretty cool about the WEPS.
Once you got it down, you understand any other type of sharpening system or machine.
Everything you learn on it applies to every sharpening system I've tried in one way or another.
www.zbsharpening.com
Knife Sharpening Service
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
908-635-2748

Can't get cheap knife super sharp 7 months 2 weeks ago #15812

• CliffStamp
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 49
As a point of clarification, carbides do not increase ease of sharpening or ultimate obtainable sharpness, in fact they do the opposite and decrease it, hence steels which are intended for very high sharpness (razor blades) have a very low carbide volume, << 5%.

There are main reasons why inexpensive knives are often initially difficult to sharpen (though easy to grind) they are all related to the fact that the edge is likely damaged :

-too much heat in grinding
-steel not protected during the soaking
-less than ideal thermal cycling (will affect the edge most)

In general, for really cheap knives, I have often found it can take up to a mm of metal to be removed before the performance stabilizes. The main reason that people often think so poorly of such steels/knives is that they never see the actual steel in use, just the damaged part.

Most of the inexpensive knives are 5Cr13MoV stainless (a few are 3Cr13), these are actual razor blade steels the same as AEB-L. However the inexpensive ones are usually underhardened so you will lose performance compared to a very nice AEB-L blade, but the edge holding will be 40-50% of that.

As a note for example, I can take an inexpensive kitchen knife :

- 6 to 8 dps primary edge
- 14 to 15 dps micro-bevel (600 DMT)

and cut 250 m of 1/8" ridged cardboard across the ridges and still slices newsprint at the end of the cutting (parallel, with the grain).
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge, leomitch, Mikedoh

Can't get cheap knife super sharp 7 months 2 weeks ago #15814

• leomitch
  • Administrator
Many thanks for the clarification Cliff.Valuable information for anybody who sharpens knives et al.

All the best
Leo
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds