Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Wicked Edge forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hi from North Carolina

Re: Hi from North Carolina 1 year 7 months ago #8436

• Sauce
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Mark, It's Wusthofs version of a Japanese Santoku which are typically much harder and thinner and have quite a low angle. Here is the wikipedia for Santoku knives: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santoku
It is the only Wusthof I own. I've had the Wusthof, and a standard set of JA Henkels kitchen knives for 7 years and the Wusthof held it's edge longer than the Henkels which are 20 per side.

Sauce
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Hi from North Carolina 1 year 7 months ago #8439

• mark76
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 388
Sauce wrote:
What about your full flat ground knives? Does the friction tape have any thickness to take up the space for the flat grind in the vise?

Try some foam tape. Works really well. See the FAQ

Re: Hi from North Carolina 1 year 7 months ago #8441

• KenBuzbee
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 110
mark76 wrote:
11 degrees per side seems *very* steep for a traditional Wusthoff. I don't know if you have a modern series (Japanese series or something similar that is much harder than the traditional 54-55 HRC), but 11 degrees is even a challenge on many Japanese knives. Wusthoffs I have sharpened are usually around 20 degrees per side.

That's what I was thinking. I don't even take my Aogami Super Blue quite that low. They are currently doing very nicely at 26° inclusive.

Ken
玉鋼

Re: Hi from North Carolina 1 year 7 months ago #8490

• Sauce
  • Junior Boarder
The concern from a couple folks here about such a low angle made me call Wusthof again this morning. Maybe they made an error the first time. The lady stated the same, 11 per side, 22 inclusive for a 7 year old classic series santoku. I'll try the sharpie method to confirm it when I receive the riser and new arms (showing 1-15 delivery).

Thanks again for the tips and info.
Sauce

Re: Hi from North Carolina 1 year 7 months ago #8502

• Geocyclist
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 156
Sauce,

I am glad you called Wusthof. Please post your results. I am not sure WE can go to 11, but I have not tried. In the end you can sharpen to any angle you want. The question is how will it hold up for your use. I am also curious how you feel the edge holds up. I have Wusthofs too, but haven't gotten around to sharpening them on the WE and am still debate what angle to use.

Re: Hi from North Carolina 1 year 7 months ago #8511

• Sauce
  • Junior Boarder
Geocyclist wrote:
Sauce,

I am glad you called Wusthof. Please post your results. I am not sure WE can go to 11, but I have not tried. In the end you can sharpen to any angle you want. The question is how will it hold up for your use. I am also curious how you feel the edge holds up. I have Wusthofs too, but haven't gotten around to sharpening them on the WE and am still debate what angle to use.

Besides the Santoku, I use 20 per side for all my kitchen knives (JA Henkels) except for my paring knife which I haven't got to yet. That was the factory angle for those and has been great since I sharpened them on the WE three weeks ago. Time will tell.

Sauce
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds