Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Wicked Edge forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Destroyed Strops in 24hours

Re: Destroyed Strops in 24hours 1 year 11 months ago #5226

• KenBuzbee
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 110
DeepFriedSouth wrote:
is it possible to have had way to much compound on the leather? I'm removing a lot of green gunk when I use the strops.

It's easy to add too much until you get a feel for it. IMO you're better off under loading and adding a bit as you feel the need.

But eventually it should self level. Just a bit messy until then.
DeepFriedSouth wrote:
I also noticed that using an angle cube that 15 degrees in my weps is actually like 13 or 12 degrees. Is that normal? I know the cube is measuring correctly because I checked it's calibration. Sorry for all the newbie questions but this forum was a huge part of why I purchased. Great community growing here

The true angle will be dependent on the holes chosen for mounting and the width of the blade. I bet the markings rarely ever measure the actual true angle. Imagine two similar knives, one 1" wide, the other 2" wide mounted identically. The 2" knife will have a thinner angle than the 1" even though you haven't moved the arms.

Ken
玉鋼
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Destroyed Strops in 24hours 1 year 11 months ago #5228

Thanks guys I'm taking notes. Always trust the angle cube and lighten up on the strops. Now the fun begins, figuring out when I actually have an edge. The first 2 knives I worked on will need lots of work just have to figure out when I've got the edge back and when to start moving on to the next iteration of stones.

Re: Destroyed Strops in 24hours 1 year 11 months ago #5233

• MathewWhaley
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
You'll be spending the most time with the 100 grit stones if you're changing the angle. The way to find out when you're done is to check for a burr all along the blade. If you think you're getting close to the edge, focus on just one side of the knife for awhile, then feel the opposite side for a burr. If there's a prominent burr all the way along the edge, you're there. Then just do a few light alternating strokes before moving on to the 200s. With the finer stones, you don't need to worry about a burr any longer, just go until the scratches from the previous stones are gone.

Another thing to remember is not to smack the diamond stones or ceramics into the knife. This could lead to chipping in the edge. Always be gentle when putting the stone against the blade.
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by MathewWhaley.

Re: Destroyed Strops in 24hours 1 year 11 months ago #5242

• ApexGS
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 51
I'll readily admit my biggest issue with starting was getting the right "feel" pressure wise on the diamond stones and strops. Once you do get that feel down though you start noticing a lot of subtle cues, like the sound of the stones as they reach that point where all the previous grit's scratches are gone. Sharpening zen, eh?
Your friendly neighborhood gunsmith!
- Tom
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds