Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Wicked Edge forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: Angle of the edge with Pro Pack II upgrade!

Re: Angle of the edge with Pro Pack II upgrade! 1 year 10 months ago #4779

• JimMitchell
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Clay,

Thank you checking your set up and sending the photos. I re-calibrated my angle cube following the step by step directions that came with it in the box. The re-calibration worked great; however, my readings on the angle cube are still off by quite a bit.

Here is a photo of my Kershaw Needs Work using the lower set of alignment holes at a setting of 30 degrees.

[attachment:1]DSC_0005-001.JPG[/attachment]

Here is a photo of my Kershaw Needs Work using the lower set of alignment holes with the collar moved out to the end of the bar.

[attachment:2]DSC_0003-001.JPG[/attachment]

I'm confused as to why the reading on my angle cube are so far off from the readings you're obtaining on your angle cube. Maybe you can tell, by looking at my photos, if I'm doing something wrong.

Thank you for all of your assistance in resolving this issue.

Jim
Jim
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by JimMitchell.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Angle of the edge with Pro Pack II upgrade! 1 year 10 months ago #4780

• JimMitchell
  • Junior Boarder
Clay,

I couldn't get the photos to load in the post so I have attached a link that will hopefully work. The 23.70 degree angle is at a setting of 30 degrees on the bar. The 26.65 degree angle is with the collar all the way out to the end of the bar.

picasaweb.google.com/1057453382584261748...v1sRgCK2Lg8rG88K9FQ#
Jim

Re: Angle of the edge with Pro Pack II upgrade! 1 year 10 months ago #4782

• Billabong
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 49
Clay seems to be using a different angle bracket, allows a greater distance out?

Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Billabong.

Re: Angle of the edge with Pro Pack II upgrade! 1 year 10 months ago #4788

• JimMitchell
  • Junior Boarder
Billabong wrote:
Clay seems to be using a different angle bracket, allows a greater distance out?

i108.photobucket.com/albums/n34/chrisbillabong/Bracket.jpg

Thank you Billabong! Those pictures show a noticeable difference in the brackets and that is most likely where the shortage is coming from. Thanks again for picking up on that and posting!

Jim
Jim

Re: Angle of the edge with Pro Pack II upgrade! 1 year 10 months ago #4790

• JimMitchell
  • Junior Boarder
Clay,

Take a look at the photo comparison Billabong posted. There seems to be a difference in your arm brackets and mine. It appears that yours are longer on the bottom, allowing for wider angles. I'm sure this is where the difference in angles is coming from.

Was the upgrade I received last week was supposed to have the longer brackets as shown in your photos?

I think either replacing the brackets or making a longer angle bar would solve the problem. I hesitate to go out beyond the small indents on the angle bar because the bracket screws don't feel like they're "biting" into the aluminum bar and could easily become loose. Whereas, with the indents, the bracket screws feel very secure and the brackets don't loosen up as easy.

Have you thought about making a longer angle bar with indents along the entire side to accommodate a wider range of angles as well as keeping the bracket screws tight and secure?

I'd be happy to use the same angle brackets that you're using and/or try a longer angle bar.

Thank you.

Jim
Jim

Re: Angle of the edge with Pro Pack II upgrade! 1 year 10 months ago #4794

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 596
Hi Jim,

It's not the angle bracket causing the difference. I'll post pictures with brackets like you have. I'm pretty sure it's your angle cube because both brackets have the same geometry meaning that the pivot point is the same relative to the knife. That said, I am getting ready to make a run of longer angle bars and get one to you once their ready. The riser in the new set does lower the angle, buy only by 2 degrees on average and pivot points still have the same relationship they've always had. You might be able to calculate your angles by measuring the distance from the center of the vise to the pivot point i.e. the center of the ball joint and then the height of the edge of the knife from the same elevation as the center of the pivot point.
JimMitchell wrote:
Clay,

Take a look at the photo comparison Billabong posted. There seems to be a difference in your arm brackets and mine. It appears that yours are longer on the bottom, allowing for wider angles. I'm sure this is where the difference in angles is coming from.

Was the upgrade I received last week was supposed to have the longer brackets as shown in your photos?

I think either replacing the brackets or making a longer angle bar would solve the problem. I hesitate to go out beyond the small indents on the angle bar because the bracket screws don't feel like they're "biting" into the aluminum bar and could easily become loose. Whereas, with the indents, the bracket screws feel very secure and the brackets don't loosen up as easy.

Have you thought about making a longer angle bar with indents along the entire side to accommodate a wider range of angles as well as keeping the bracket screws tight and secure?

I'd be happy to use the same angle brackets that you're using and/or try a longer angle bar.

Thank you.

Jim
--Clay Allison

Re: Angle of the edge with Pro Pack II upgrade! 1 year 10 months ago #4797

• Billabong
  • Banned
Clay,

It's hard to tell angles and distances by looking at pictures.
But I'm thinking you want the two arrows to be the same length? (to ball pivot centres)

I see you have added some more angle holes on the bar. (16 vs 19+)

Appreciate you letting us in on the development/improvement of the WEPS.

Attachments:
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Billabong.

Re: Angle of the edge with Pro Pack II upgrade! 1 year 10 months ago #4814

• JimMitchell
  • Junior Boarder
Billabong wrote:
Clay,

It's hard to tell angles and distances by looking at pictures.
But I'm thinking you want the two arrows to be the same length? (to ball pivot centres)

I see you have added some more angle holes on the bar. (16 vs 19+)

Appreciate you letting us in on the development/improvement of the WEPS.

Thanks Billabong. I thought I noticed a difference in the angle bar but wasn't sure. I'm sure the issue will be resolved with a longer angle bar and several more indents (angle holes for the screws).
Jim

Re: Angle of the edge with Pro Pack II upgrade! 1 year 10 months ago #4825

• JimMitchell
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks Clay. I am looking forward to receiving one of the longer angle bars. Do you have an ETA on them? Once I receive it, I will take more photos and report the results back to you.

I re-calibrated my angle cube and used a square to confirm it is reading accurately. I really believe the longer angle bar will take care of the issue. If you can have the indents along the entire side of the angle bar to allow for a wide range of angles, that would be great. It will also help keep the arm brackets securely in place.

Thanks again,
Jim
wickededge wrote:
Hi Jim,

It's not the angle bracket causing the difference. I'll post pictures with brackets like you have. I'm pretty sure it's your angle cube because both brackets have the same geometry meaning that the pivot point is the same relative to the knife. That said, I am getting ready to make a run of longer angle bars and get one to you once their ready. The riser in the new set does lower the angle, buy only by 2 degrees on average and pivot points still have the same relationship they've always had. You might be able to calculate your angles by measuring the distance from the center of the vise to the pivot point i.e. the center of the ball joint and then the height of the edge of the knife from the same elevation as the center of the pivot point.
JimMitchell wrote:
Clay,

Thank you.

Jim
Jim
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by JimMitchell.

Re: Angle of the edge with Pro Pack II upgrade! 1 year 10 months ago #4826

• Billabong
  • Banned
Hi Jim,

It's a great piece of equipment and I respect Clay & Co. for engineering to this point without just leaving the previous buyers in the cold.

Great product, great people. :)

The adaption of a Heim joint is brilliant.
A longer bar would solve "this" issue regardless, as the added adjustment would suit any situation.
I'm sure the extra length wouldn't introduce any flex while in use as the bar is made solid.

I'm thinking a reversable bracket might be a way to keep the bar shorter.
But that means a total redesign.
All just thoughts.

Thanks Clay & Jim, apologies for sticking my nose in here.
Just enjoying the experience as a WEPS owner. (addict) :D
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds