Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Wicked Edge forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: Angle of the edge with Pro Pack II upgrade!

Angle of the edge with Pro Pack II upgrade! 1 year 11 months ago #4731

  • JimMitchell
  • JimMitchell's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Junior Boarder
  • Posts: 27
  • Thank you received: 1
  • Karma: 1
Hello everyone,

I was curious as to what others have found when upgrading their Pro Pack I with the Pro Pack II upgrade (New arms, Riser Block, Micro Adjustment Screws & Angle Cube). When I added the riser block and the new arms, my angle cube reads about 5 degrees less than what is indicated on the arm bars. I'm sure this has to do with the riser block.

Should I completely disregard the angles on the arm bar and stictly use the angle cube from this point forward?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Jim
Jim
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Angle of the edge with Pro Pack II upgrade! 1 year 11 months ago #4732

  • wickededge
  • wickededge's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1756
  • Thank you received: 603
  • Karma: 91
Jim,

Thanks for bringing it up - the riser does lower the angle so it is best to just use the angle cube until you get used to the settings.

JimMitchell wrote:
Hello everyone,

I was curious as to what others have found when upgrading their Pro Pack I with the Pro Pack II upgrade (New arms, Riser Block, Micro Adjustment Screws & Angle Cube). When I added the riser block and the new arms, my angle cube reads about 5 degrees less than what is indicated on the arm bars. I'm sure this has to do with the riser block.

Should I completely disregard the angles on the arm bar and stictly use the angle cube from this point forward?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Jim
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JimMitchell

Re: Angle of the edge with Pro Pack II upgrade! 1 year 11 months ago #4733

  • JimMitchell
  • JimMitchell's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Junior Boarder
  • Posts: 27
  • Thank you received: 1
  • Karma: 1
Sounds good Clay. Thank you!
wickededge wrote:
Jim,

Thanks for bringing it up - the riser does lower the angle so it is best to just use the angle cube until you get used to the settings.

JimMitchell wrote:
Hello everyone,

I was curious as to what others have found when upgrading their Pro Pack I with the Pro Pack II upgrade (New arms, Riser Block, Micro Adjustment Screws & Angle Cube). When I added the riser block and the new arms, my angle cube reads about 5 degrees less than what is indicated on the arm bars. I'm sure this has to do with the riser block.

Should I completely disregard the angles on the arm bar and stictly use the angle cube from this point forward?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Jim
Jim
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Angle of the edge with Pro Pack II upgrade! 1 year 11 months ago #4735

  • wickededge
  • wickededge's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1756
  • Thank you received: 603
  • Karma: 91
You're welcome Jim. How are you enjoying the upgrade kit so far?
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Angle of the edge with Pro Pack II upgrade! 1 year 11 months ago #4739

  • JimMitchell
  • JimMitchell's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Junior Boarder
  • Posts: 27
  • Thank you received: 1
  • Karma: 1
Clay,

I just received the upgrade kit a couple of days ago and I absolutely love it. It was very easy to set up and add to my existing WEPS.

I am most impressed with the fact that there is no play at all in the new ball joints and that the arms move back and forth so smoothly. The difference between the new arms and the old arms is amazing. It’s also great to have the capability of making those micro adjustments to find the exact angle you’re looking for on both sides of the edge. Like you said, I will be relying on the angle cube as opposed to what I am used to on the arm bar. I’m sure I’ll find some consistency (difference in degrees) between the angle cube and the arm bar after several more sharpening’s. I’ve only sharpened a couple of knives so far with the upgrade kit and I look forward to many more!

Like I said, I am very impressed with the upgrade kit and highly recommend it to everybody out there who is looking to upgrade their WEPS.

Nice work Clay and thank you for a great product.

Jim


wickededge wrote:
You're welcome Jim. How are you enjoying the upgrade kit so far?
Jim
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Angle of the edge with Pro Pack II upgrade! 1 year 11 months ago #4742

  • ApexGS
  • ApexGS's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Posts: 163
  • Thank you received: 51
  • Karma: 18
My budget absolutely hates all this awesome stuff for the WEPS. I really like the ball joint arms, from a mechanical standpoint if nothing else. I think I have two whole upgrade pack orders in mind now, time to start saving...
Your friendly neighborhood gunsmith!
- Tom
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Angle of the edge with Pro Pack II upgrade! 1 year 11 months ago #4744

  • JimMitchell
  • JimMitchell's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Junior Boarder
  • Posts: 27
  • Thank you received: 1
  • Karma: 1
Clay,

What is the highest angle, for each side, your able to obtain with the riser block installed? If I use the indents on the arm bar, the highest angel I can get is approximately 21.90 degrees. If I go all the way to the end of the arm bar, where there are no indents, the hightest angle I can get is approximately 25 degrees. I would like to be able to obtain the same angles that I used to be able to obtain without the riser block. Is that possible? Do you think we may need to use a longer arm bar?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Angle of the edge with Pro Pack II upgrade! 1 year 11 months ago #4748

  • wickededge
  • wickededge's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1756
  • Thank you received: 603
  • Karma: 91
I'll double check it tomorrow, but I think I can get much wider than what you're reporting. How wide of a knife are you using?
JimMitchell wrote:
Clay,

What is the highest angle, for each side, your able to obtain with the riser block installed? If I use the indents on the arm bar, the highest angel I can get is approximately 21.90 degrees. If I go all the way to the end of the arm bar, where there are no indents, the hightest angle I can get is approximately 25 degrees. I would like to be able to obtain the same angles that I used to be able to obtain without the riser block. Is that possible? Do you think we may need to use a longer arm bar?

Thanks,
Jim
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Angle of the edge with Pro Pack II upgrade! 1 year 11 months ago #4751

  • JimMitchell
  • JimMitchell's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Junior Boarder
  • Posts: 27
  • Thank you received: 1
  • Karma: 1
I was sharpening my Strider SNG and put a 22 degree angle on each side of the edge. Then, since I already had the knife clamped down in the vice, I used the Strider to test how wide of an angle I could get with the new kit. I was able to make the angle a little wider by using the lower depth key holes in the vice jaws. I got 25.70 degrees on the angle cube at the widest point (where there are no indentations in the arm bar).

That would be great if you could check your set up for me. I'm interested in hearing how wide you can get your angle at the widest point on each side.

Thanks again Clay.

Jim
wickededge wrote:
I'll double check it tomorrow, but I think I can get much wider than what you're reporting. How wide of a knife are you using?
JimMitchell wrote:
Jim
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Angle of the edge with Pro Pack II upgrade! 1 year 11 months ago #4760

  • wickededge
  • wickededge's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1756
  • Thank you received: 603
  • Karma: 91
Jim,
I tested my own machine and got the following results:

This is a small blade extending .5" above the top of the clamp on the 30 degree setting:
2012-08-24_09-25-04_285.jpg


This is my ZT 0560 in the bottom hole position set at 30 degrees:
2012-08-24_09-25-04_285.jpg


This is the same ZT 0560 in the bottom hole position with the collar out to the end of the rod:
2012-08-24_09-25-30_134.jpg


I'm wondering if your Angle Cube needs to be re-calibrated. I'm trying to find instructions for how to do it, I know I've seen them somewhere before. I'll post as soon as I find them.
Attachments:
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds