Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Wicked Edge forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: Me and my story! Let's get to know each other!

Re: Me and my story! Let's get to know each other! 2 years 2 months ago #2912

• mark76
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 351
Hi Peppersass,

Welcome to the forum! Good to hear you already found a lot of information here. And if you cannot find it, please ask!

I cannot give you any specific advice regarding the knives you mention, since I don’t have them. (But there should be people here with at least the Sage 1… great knife.) The only general advice I can give you is 1) the burr, the burr, the burr and 2) do spend enough time on each stone to wipe out the scratches of the previous stone. And some tape or chamois or whatever between your knife and the WEPS vise will prevent scratches on the knife blade.

If you get to it, I’d love to see a picture of the Masamoto. Japanese kitchen knives are Da Bomb, especially laminated VG-10 ones. And please go ahead with your comparison of the WEPS and the Edge Pro. I had to choose between them a few months ago. Still like to know whether I made the right choice ;) . Only if you use violence, I’ll have to report you to a mod :) .

And no, not a clue where Peppersass comes from. (And I did google it.)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Me and my story! Let's get to know each other! 2 years 2 months ago #2916

• leomitch
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 206
Welcome Dick!
A well written post mate and an interesting one too. It is good to see how you evolved to the point that the WEPS became the sharpener for you. We encourage our members to write about sharpening and knives generally and if another sharpener is compared that is good too. The EP is a good sharpener but may not be everybody so I will be curious to see your comparison.
Once again welcome aboard and we look forward to your commentaries, pictures,opinions and blogs...this is the way we learn yes?

Cheers
Leo
Never go anywhere without your knife!
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell

Re: Me and my story! Let's get to know each other! 2 years 2 months ago #2919

• jendeindustries
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113
Welcome, Dick!

EP and WEPS comparisons are welcome! This will be interesting point of view since most of the threads on this topic are in more "pro" (as in pro vs.con) Edge Pro forums.

Before you sharpen your wonderful new knives, I suggest you get over the short learning curve a little more by first getting all your older knives sharp. You will make mistakes along the way, and it is better to make them on lesser knives. :oops:

Welcome again!
Tom Blodgett
Jende Industries, LLC

My Blog: jendeindustries.wordpress.com

Re: Me and my story! Let's get to know each other! 2 years 1 month ago #3178

• BobNash
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
Hi There Everyone -

Long time Wicked Edge user and former employee too. I have been following the forum since before leaving Wicked Edge in February this year, but between the Wicked Edge work and starting up a new business - it has been difficult to make time to post.

Now, our working shows are almost over for us - last one this weekend then we have a break until we head off to show at the USN Gathering in Aug/Sept after which things will get pretty busy again as far as traveling to sell at shows goes. (we’ll still be traveling to be at shows and look at stuff - Blade and PKA!) All in all that means that it looks like I'll be on the forums a bit more!

I'm really glad that Clay created this forum for Wicked Edge users to share and find information in one location. It is full of great tips, tricks and info and great to know what other users are up to, and learn for other people's experiences.

As for me and knives/sharpening...
I gave up on knives when I was a kid - early teens. I loved carving and whittling, but could never keep my knives sharp, and once they were dull if I ever got them sharp again it was purely accidental. No one around seemed to be able to teach me so I carried one around - swiss army usually as a kid and a multitool later for work - and mainly used all the other tools, not the cutting blade unless I absolutely needed it - and then carefully since it was usually dull. Off to the sharpener I would go at some point when I couldn't stand it any more....

At some point I found Lansky and could finally get knives sharp, but used it sparingly - meaning I didn't go off to the sharpener as often but waited 'til things got dull-dull-dull before breaking out the sharpener. One winter Clay got all the folks working with his guide company Gatco systems and that got me going more on sharpening as the time to sharpen was reduced with the larger stones and the clamp was better, and my results we better.

Then Clay came up with the Wicked Edge - WOW - unfortunately I couldn't afford it on my foreman's pay at the ranch - so Gatco and borrowed Wicked Edge time kept me going. After leaving the ranch, when I started sharpening at shows with Clay I realized how many people were in exactly the same spot I had been in – hell, people buy disposable knives because they can't get and keep their knives sharp. Helping people on the phones and teaching at the shows was very rewarding and I set out to help as many folks as possible get their knives sharp by teaching about guided angle systems - particularly the Wicked Edge since it is my favorite. So I went into business for myself selling Wicked Edge and then also a wide variety of guided angle systems and other sharpening supplies.

Most weekends will find me on the road at a knife or gun show sharpening, teaching and selling - and the weekdays find me in the office sharpening, emailing or talking with folks about sharpening and sharpening systems.

Since working on the Wicked Edge, sharpening has become a passion - and has reignited my interest in knives as well. Our most recent addition is the #5 Nirk by Brian Tighe – this is the first knife I own that I won’t be putting in my pocket, pack or on my hip though. It is stored away for the show this weekend but I'll post a pic soon

Look forward to conversing and learning with you!

Bob
Some of the edges I've sharpened on the WE
www.oldawan.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
505-570-2040 (mobile and office)
The following user(s) said Thank You: leomitch

Re: Me and my story! Let's get to know each other! 2 years 1 month ago #3183

• mark76
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 351
Welcome Bob. Great to have such a knowledgeable person on board – and a passionate sharpener!

My experiences are quite similar to yours. At some point I really hated free-hand sharpening, simply because I was so bad at it. Enter the Wicked Edge, and now it is a hobby of mine. (Don’t do it professionally, but friends, neighbours and collegues know to find me.)

Sounds good, a lot on the road. But maybe that is because I live in one of the most densely populated countries of the world and I have just seen the movie On the road. Is it really the freedom or also a lot of chore and hard work?

Thanks for your contributions to the forum already! Looking forward to more conversations!

Mark.

Re: Me and my story! Let's get to know each other! 2 years 1 month ago #3186

• BobNash
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
Thanks Mark - great to be here.
Being on the road can be a bit of a chore and working shows, particularly sharpening, is a bit of work for sure (I prefer the work to the sitting that most vendors do though). Since for the previous 10 years or so I have only really traveled occasionally and mainly to see family, and my work didn't allow many chances to get away - I have been having a good time for the last year and a half seeing new and old places. And I'm making time whenever possible to see friends that I haven't seen in a very long time wherever I go. For me, the real benefit though is teaching people about sharpening, seeing the variety of knives I do, sharpening them - watching people WOW when they learn what sharp really is and talking with lots of people. It is a great time!
I'll have to check out On The Road - great book and the trailer for the film looks good.
I look forward to reading more of your blog posts of your knife experiences. Nice job on the Fallkniven A1 and great view too!
Bob
Some of the edges I've sharpened on the WE
www.oldawan.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
505-570-2040 (mobile and office)
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds