Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Wicked Edge forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC: The Straw Mod

Re: The Straw Mod 1 year 11 months ago #4378

• MartinSinger
  • Junior Boarder
  • mrsupport
  • Thank you received: 4
I have to revise my strategy. Spent the entire day yesterday sharpening and realized that the resistance of the tight fitting straws was slowing me down. With a constant grip the sharpening became easier and faster without compromising a mirror edge.

No pictures though because I've been too busy with the WE to figure out the lighting to take good macro pics...maybe when the novelty wears off..

cbwx34 wrote:
My solution would be... don't use them! Even if there is a bit of play between the holder and the rod, as evidenced by the numerous videos, posts, and microscope pictures, it doesn't hinder getting knives sharp. If you're finding it a problem, just try adjusting your grip slightly.

cbw
mrsuport

In God We Trust All Others We Monitor
www.deterrentspecialty.com
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cbwx34

Re: The Straw Mod 1 year 11 months ago #4382

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
Martin,
I put some dry graphite on the straws. This reduced the added friction to where it is not objectionable (hardly notice it). I tried several other lubricants but they did not work well. Any of the liquids would either dry out too fast or capture filings and other contaminants and gum up.

At first I tried to sharpen as fast as some of the videos I have seen show it. I found that slower deliberate strokes give me better results. Of course, when I am sharpening with the WEPS, it is for recreation and the pusuit of perfection, and I don't mind the extra time. If I want a sharp knife fast, I spend 5 minutes with the belt grinder :)

Phil

MartinSinger wrote:
I have to revise my strategy. Spent the entire day yesterday sharpening and realized that the resistance of the tight fitting straws was slowing me down. With a constant grip the sharpening became easier and faster without compromising a mirror edge.

No pictures though because I've been too busy with the WE to figure out the lighting to take good macro pics...maybe when the novelty wears off..

cbwx34 wrote:
My solution would be... don't use them! Even if there is a bit of play between the holder and the rod, as evidenced by the numerous videos, posts, and microscope pictures, it doesn't hinder getting knives sharp. If you're finding it a problem, just try adjusting your grip slightly.

cbw
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!

Re: The Straw Mod 1 year 11 months ago #4384

• MartinSinger
  • Junior Boarder
  • mrsupport
  • Thank you received: 4
Phil,
Great advice I have some in one of my gun cleaning tool boxes. I'll try it tomorrow. I'm not interested in fast as much as easier on my shoulder injuries. The WE is unintentially great physical therapy plus it is a lot of fun..oh and I'm making my and my friends & family's knives Wicked sharp.

Thank you,
Marty

PhilipPasteur wrote:
Martin,
I put some dry graphite on the straws. This reduced the added friction to where it is not objectionable (hardly notice it). I tried several other lubricants but they did not work well. Any of the liquids would either dry out too fast or capture filings and other contaminants and gum up.

At first I tried to sharpen as fast as some of the videos I have seen show it. I found that slower deliberate strokes give me better results. Of course, when I am sharpening with the WEPS, it is for recreation and the pusuit of perfection, and I don't mind the extra time. If I want a sharp knife fast, I spend 5 minutes with the belt grinder :)

Phil

MartinSinger wrote:

cbwx34 wrote:

cbw
mrsuport

In God We Trust All Others We Monitor
www.deterrentspecialty.com
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds