Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Wicked Edge forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: Another Crazy Joins The Forum

Re: Another Crazy Joins The Forum 2 years 2 weeks ago #3803

• MartinSinger
  • Junior Boarder
  • mrsupport
  • Thank you received: 4
Dan and Christopher have made excellent suggestions. I will make the angle adjustment mods/refinements and remove the arm pivot slop today. If I don't have everything needed in my shop then on to the hardware store.

Has anyone tried Lexan Plexiglass for the film? I have a pretty good supply here.

Thanks for all the help. I hope to be able to recripricate soon.
mrsuport

In God We Trust All Others We Monitor
www.deterrentspecialty.com
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: leomitch

Re: Another Crazy Joins The Forum 2 years 2 weeks ago #3807

• BassLakeDan
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
ChristopherStaples wrote:
glass shop only charged $1 a stone for custom cut glass

well, of course! that's the way to go,, Clay sells the Blank Paddles, I use my edge hot glue technique to fasten the glass shop plates. Besides mounting PSA or Spray 77 films, here is another tick you can try with them: 1.) apply (or not apply, your choice here) a small amount of sub micron pastes to the glass and use just a very few back strop finishing strops to straighten your edge. Works great!

Re: Another Crazy Joins The Forum 2 years 2 weeks ago #3808

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
Just a thought. If you can get the glass blanks then I believe you can get the stone holders from WEPS with the same 3M double stick tape mounted to them that is used for the WEPS stock stones. I believe this is what is done for mounting the Shapton stones. This would keep the thickness closer to the other stock stones and eliminate the hot glue. The blank handles are relatively cheap.

Phil
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!

Re: Another Crazy Joins The Forum 2 years 1 week ago #3820

• MartinSinger
  • Junior Boarder
  • mrsupport
  • Thank you received: 4
MartinSinger wrote:
Dan and Christopher have made excellent suggestions. I will make the angle adjustment mods/refinements and remove the arm pivot slop today. If I don't have everything needed in my shop then on to the hardware store.

Has anyone tried Lexan Plexiglass for the film? I have a pretty good supply here.

Thanks for all the help. I hope to be able to recripricate soon.

I've had the unit for aweek now but spent the weekend trying to locate the shim stock. Apparently when Kay said she would have the arms updated when my device arrived, she didn't pass that info to Kyle who told me the arms were perfect. I know they are very busy but this is still disappointing.

The brass shims are in place now..still have to fix the arm play. I am soo ready to by the ball joint arms! I hope to get Subway straws today or tomorrow. I also replaced the angle thumbscrews with flattened screws for infinite adjudtment.

Despite my startup issues I am pleased with the WE.

Next, I'll cut some glass for paper and lapping film as using the lapping film polishes the edge but still dulls.

This forum is a wealth of useful information. Thank you all for for sharing your experience.
mrsuport

In God We Trust All Others We Monitor
www.deterrentspecialty.com

Re: Another Crazy Joins The Forum 2 years 3 days ago #4024

BassLakeDan wrote:
glass shop only charged $1 a stone for custom cut glass

well, of course! that's the way to go,, Clay sells the Blank Paddles, I use my edge hot glue technique to fasten the glass shop plates. Besides mounting PSA or Spray 77 films, here is another tick you can try with them: 1.) apply (or not apply, your choice here) a small amount of sub micron pastes to the glass and use just a very few back strop finishing strops to straighten your edge. Works great!

well after waiting a few months for my WEPS I wasn't going to take my chance with a knife sharpening comp @ work with $1k up for grabs

winner announced next month

ps , pretty sure my email to wicked edge asking how fast they could ship me a blank paddle has yet to still even be answered .. so glad I opted for demolishing my rough paddles

*edit*

well the winners were announced today out of 160 entries

after spending around 6 hrs per knife

I took home the 1st prize for boning knife but did not even make the top 5 list for skinning knife
which has got me annoyed that the WEPS could not go as low as I wanted as the knife came of my edge pro as the sharpest skinning knife I had ever done
but I wanted perfect mirror finish that only the WEPS was able to do
just thought I would follow up on this

I won 1x knife sharpness test for boning knife

I made my first angle @ 6 deg using edge pro
( knife was pretty rubbish I could see it falling apart at this angle assuming the others lost by having angle to low )

then applied my primary edge using WEPS which was anywhere between 15 ~ 18 deg as different stones / material seemed to touch either the back or front of the edge so I had to keep changing the Angles so the edge was polished
went to 3.5 microns paste on glass with bare leather lightly touching it up before removing from vice

I lost the skinning knife assuming because everyone used extremely low angles as they were all hollow ground apart from mine

I used the same double edge method

@ 6 deg in the edge pro it even held the edge nicely and was extremely hair withering but decided to apply the final edge in the WEPS ( bad decision as the WEPS can only go to 15 deg ) and the comp was for least resistance and not durability

I am still wanting data and pretty annoyed that the skinning knife did not even place in the top 5 with mirror finishes

Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by ChristopherStaples.
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds