Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Wicked Edge forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hello, I'm new and just subscribed.

Re:Hello, I'm new and just subscribed. 4 months 1 week ago #16478

• razoredgeknives
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 288
For some reason I just can't seem to get the same edge on a straight razor as I do on kangaroo strops. That's How I finish all my razors, on kangaroo with .125 cbn and they come out pretty nice :-) the balsa seems to be for larger micron sprays & pastes... It didn't work well for me on the sub micron level as I believe the pores in the balsa are larger than a micron and the abrasives get "lost"

Josh
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LeoBarr

Re:Hello, I'm new and just subscribed. 4 months 1 week ago #16485

• leomitch
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 206
BTW Mark, further to your PM...I am really a LEO as my birthday is the 30th of July. LOL! Golly, how Leo can you get?!!!?

Leo the Mod ;)
Never go anywhere without your knife!
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell

Re:Hello, I'm new and just subscribed. 4 months 1 week ago #16486

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 226
Hey Leo mine is July 25th .

Leo Nav

Re:Hello, I'm new and just subscribed. 4 months 1 week ago #16488

• leomitch
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 206
LeoBarr wrote:
Hey Leo mine is July 25th .

Leo Nav

Wow! That is scary! We are both Leo Leos, magnitude one Leos! :lol:

Leo the elder :P
Never go anywhere without your knife!
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell

Hello, I'm new and just subscribed. 4 months 1 week ago #16489

• Quoddy99
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 36
In my very limited experience using the WE PP2 (diamonds to 1K and a Choseras up to 10K), I've found the Roo strops excellent. I use a 1µ and .125µ combination of CBN sprays to finish most blades.

Hello, I'm new and just subscribed. 4 months 1 week ago #16491

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 192
I'm going to second Josh. I have both and believe the pours to be to large on the balsa for sub um? The Roo is a clear winner in this case. Also if you are looking for a edge with "tooth" the 14/10 balsa are amazing! Followed with 5um and I can whittle hair.
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!

Re:Hello, I'm new and just subscribed. 4 months 1 week ago #16493

• huntergreenbro
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Ok thanks guys. You're all awesome for helping. But honestly, I'm Not familiar with any of the slang terminology, such as um or 1U and .125 u. .? Sorry, please advise. Lol. Thanks,
Mark.
Ps. Thanks again, I will go for the Kangaroo strops first, and possibly add the balsa at a later date. Plus give me the secret again to whittle hair ? I've done so by hand with my Japanese WaterStones, but tomorrow when my Wicked Edge arrives, I will be lost. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re:Hello, I'm new and just subscribed. 4 months 1 week ago #16495

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 192
huntergreenbro wrote:
Ok thanks guys. You're all awesome for helping. But honestly, I'm Not familiar with any of the slang terminology, such as um or 1U and .125 u. .? Sorry, please advise. Lol. Thanks,
Mark.
Ps. Thanks again, I will go for the Kangaroo strops first, and possibly add the balsa at a later date. Plus give me the secret again to whittle hair ? I've done so by hand with my Japanese WaterStones, but tomorrow when my Wicked Edge arrives, I will be lost. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Mark,
I asked the exact same question when I was new to the WEPS. Um refers to the size of the particle in the compound. Here is Wikiedia answer,
Micrometre
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Micron" redirects here. For other uses, see Micron (disambiguation).
"Microscale" redirects here. For other uses, see Microscale (disambiguation).
For the measuring instrument, see Micrometer.
1 micrometre =
SI units
1.0000×10−6 m 1.00000 μm
US customary / Imperial units
3.2808×10−6 ft 39.370×10−6 in
Look up micrometre in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.
The micrometre (International spelling as used by the International Bureau of Weights and Measures; SI symbol: µm) or micrometer (American spelling) is an SI derived unit of length equaling 1×10−6 of a metre (SI standard prefix "micro-" = 10−6); that is, one millionth of a metre (or one thousandth of a millimetre, 0.001 mm, or about 0.000039 inch). The symbol µm is sometimes rendered as um if the symbol µ cannot be used, or if the writer is not aware of the distinction.
The micrometre is a common unit of measurement for wavelengths of infrared radiation as well as sizes of cells and bacteria and is also commonly used in plastics manufacturing.[1]
Micrometres are the standard for grading wool (referring to the diameter of wool fibres). Any wool finer than 25 µm can be used for garments, while coarser grades are used for outerwear, rugs and carpets.
The symbol for the SI prefix micro-, µ, is a Greek lowercase mu, μ. In Unicode, it has the codepoint U+00B5, distinct from that of the Greek letter lowercase mu so that machines can recognize it as the SI prefix symbol rather than as a letter. Many fonts use the same glyph for the two characters.
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: leomitch, LeoBarr
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds