Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Wicked Edge forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: My dream French Chef's knife

My dream French Chef's knife 5 months 20 hours ago #16312

• Citadel99
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Leo--thanks for sharing. Beautiful knives. I'm in the same boat on EDC where I stray more towards the "gentleman's knife" versus the compact tactical folder. Wood has personality that plastic just can't match but they all have their roles. I guess that's why I like nice wood on rifles as well...

Mark
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: leomitch, LeoBarr

My dream French Chef's knife 5 months 20 hours ago #16313

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 229
Here are some images of the Perceval Knives seven some professional Japanese chefs are buying them . My favourite is the one with the meteorite handles.

Leo Nav
ScreenShot2014-02-27at15.11.03.png

ScreenShot2014-02-27at15.11.25.png

ScreenShot2014-02-27at15.13.24.png
The following user(s) said Thank You: leomitch

My dream French Chef's knife 4 months 4 weeks ago #16328

• tuffybraithwaite
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
now i am going crazy.

man oh man some fine knives.

leo, that friends knife is very kewl ticket....i like it
<"))))><(
The following user(s) said Thank You: LeoBarr

Re:Re: My dream French Chef's knife 4 months 4 weeks ago #16331

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 299
leomitch wrote:
A few years ago I fell in love with French folding knives and specifically those made in Thiers France by Phillip Chambriard.

A week ago I discovered he had started making a new set of kitchen knives and most importantly a 210mm Chef's knife with a blade of Sandvik 13C27 razor steel from Sweden. My heart went thump and I contacted an excellent fellow James MacMillan Bullock from North Carolina. We hit it off wonderfully and in fact he has been haunting our forum even though he is a fine free hand sharpener with unusual skill in that area. I will tell you that he is a trustworthy man who loves knives and sharpening is in his blood. He sells the Chambriard knives but also other Japanese Chef's knives of note. He is a friend of Ken Schwartz and Tom Blodgett so that was good enough for me and I soon had the knife in my hands due to James's quick and excellent service. If you ever need a chef's knife you can't do much better than dealing with James MacMillan Bullock...my word on that!
The knife I chose has a Juniper root handle just like my favourite Le Trappeur folder. Here is a picture showing my three folders and the knife in question.
How good is it. Those of you who know me, also know I immediately put my own edge on all my new knives...this is the first one where I did not try to improve an already frighteningly sharp knife. As time goes by I will put up some shots of this blade in action, but for now let me say that I have never had a sharper or better feeling knife in my hands and to top it off it is so beautiful at least to this pair of old eyes.

Best to all
Leo the deliriously happy guy

Do you have a link? Sometimes I have people wanting a recommendation ;-) Googling it doesn't being up anything :-)

I tend to fall more on the Tactical folder type (sorry Leo's! Lol) I want to be able to open my knife quickly with one hand. I rarely get funny looks here in sc... Everyone is pretty much used to it :-) as a matter of fact, we do not have any minimum size or switchblade carry knife laws here in my state, so that's cool :-)

How thin are those French knives typically ground at the shoulders if the edge?

Josh

Re:Re: My dream French Chef's knife 4 months 3 weeks ago #16332

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
www.sabatier-shop.com this outlet has many of the Theirs knives by various makers from cheap to expensive. Its a good [place to start then once you find a knife it can be bought direct fro the site or direct from the maker.
My Le Theirs par Chambriad Carbone blade with ebony scales measurements are
cutting edge of blade loa 88.73 mm spine by handle 2.97 mm spine above end is 0.83mm the blade before the cutting bevel is 0.5 mm blade height is 19.1mm overall length from tip to end of handle is 206mm the thickest part of the handle (width)is 18mm

Leo Nav

My dream French Chef's knife 4 months 3 weeks ago #16342

• Mikedoh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 105
There are a couple of one hand openers here. Think you can specify what you want for handle material.

www.fontenille-pataud.com/en/
The following user(s) said Thank You: LeoBarr

My dream French Chef's knife 4 months 3 weeks ago #16343

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
IMG_1693.JPG

IMG_1693.JPG

IMG_1691.jpg

IMG_1692.jpg

There are choices of scales damascus choices & Guilloché XC75 Carbon/stainless/RWL34 stainless & some allow for a customised bee inlaid
Last Edit: 4 months 3 weeks ago by LeoBarr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikedoh, EamonMcGowan

My dream French Chef's knife 4 months 3 weeks ago #16352

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 192
Leo that and actually all of the knives are beautiful!! The first time I saw them I said I gotta get one of those! Seems like other gotta haves keep coming up? :S
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!

Re:Re: My dream French Chef's knife 4 months 3 weeks ago #16353

• leomitch
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 206
"Do you have a link? Sometimes I have people wanting a recommendation ;-) Googling it doesn't being up anything :-)
His web site is not complete, but go to his Facebook page and contact from there.
I tend to fall more on the Tactical folder type (sorry Leo's! Lol) I want to be able to open my knife quickly with one hand. I rarely get funny looks here in sc... Everyone is pretty much used to it :-) as a matter of fact, we do not have any minimum size or switchblade carry knife laws here in my state, so that's cool :-)

How thin are those French knives typically ground at the shoulders if the edge?

Josh[/quote]

Anyone can get to him very quickly on his Facebook page...just type in James MacMillan Bullock. His web site is not ready yet.

As for your necessity to open a knife with a flick of the wrist or a snap of the thumb, why? When I use my knife to cut a salami or slice some nice cheese, I like to take my time and savour the experience. No need to jump the cheese before it gets away or the salami before it whacks me on the head! ROTFLMAO! Oh lordy sometimes I can't believe the things I say!Sorry mate!i am just kidding you around! I have several knives like that, but frankly, except when I am with my friends, they always get a rather negative reaction in public. Up here there is no size restrictions on blades, but there is a policeman's right to ask you why you are carrying a knife. He is more liable to believe me if I have a small and pretty slip joint knife than if I have a more tactical looking, fast opening blade. Also assisted opening knives are no-no's up here, so that ends that kind of knife.Never answer that you are carrying your knife for self-defence...your knife will disappear never to return.Besides, who would want to hurt a helpless old man anyway...unless of course I start to lecture him or her about their manners, as I have been known to do. LOL! My days of using my long ago learned self-defense Defendo is limited by my age and physical wretchedness. Unless he happens to be careless and gets too close and then the first strike better work, because after the first strike I have to use my puffer to continue breathing! :S

Cheers mate! ;)

Leo the pain in the ear
Never go anywhere without your knife!
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell
Last Edit: 4 months 3 weeks ago by leomitch.

Re:Re: My dream French Chef's knife 4 months 3 weeks ago #16354

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 192
Leo,
One of my favorite elderly women friends has a saying, (you'll love the grammar) "getting old ain't for sissies!"
I'm speaking out of turn here, but I think Josh needs a quick opening knife cause he is a police officer. One second can be a very long time to him in an emergency.
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: leomitch
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds