Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Wicked Edge forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Wicked Edge User!

New Wicked Edge User! 11 months 2 weeks ago #13837

• KnottyEagle
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
EamonMcGowan wrote:
Welcome to the forum! Let me chime in also saying how impressed I am that you set a goal and accomplished it! Outstanding!! You are right everyone has their own definition as to what sharp is? One of the ways around here is qualified here.

coticule.be/hanging-hair-test.html

Please enjoy the read you will find it referred to here at different times? And it is just fun to make a hair "pop"!
Remember the most important part is to just have fun!
Eamon
Thanks for the link. A very good read that was!

I have been having loads of fun with my Wicked Edge. I go home and look forward to sharpening whatever is lying around.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: EamonMcGowan

New Wicked Edge User! 11 months 2 weeks ago #13838

• Geocyclist
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 154
Welcome to the forum. :cheer:

I had the opposite problem starting out. I was not getting all the way to the tip.

I sharpen tip to heel, edge trailing. I choose this since it leaves the teeth (if there are any) pointing towards the heel and helps cutting on the pull stroke. My main objective was to pick 1 direction and master it. It made since to do edge trailing as you must do this with strops.

When I saw I wasn't getting all the way to the tip I focused on placing the tip half way on the stone, getting it flat on the stone and starting the stroke.

If you go heel to tip, never, never, never, let the tip go off the stone, try to stop half way. I rounded many tips before the WEPS using ceramic sticks and the Lansky. I did not stop the tip and let it go off the stone. I rounded one so much it looked like I was trying to do it.

New Wicked Edge User! 11 months 2 weeks ago #13839

• KnottyEagle
  • Fresh Boarder
Geocyclist wrote:
Welcome to the forum. :cheer:

I had the opposite problem starting out. I was not getting all the way to the tip.

I sharpen tip to heel, edge trailing. I choose this since it leaves the teeth (if there are any) pointing towards the heel and helps cutting on the pull stroke. My main objective was to pick 1 direction and master it. It made since to do edge trailing as you must do this with strops.

When I saw I wasn't getting all the way to the tip I focused on placing the tip half way on the stone, getting it flat on the stone and starting the stroke.

If you go heel to tip, never, never, never, let the tip go off the stone, try to stop half way. I rounded many tips before the WEPS using ceramic sticks and the Lansky. I did not stop the tip and let it go off the stone. I rounded one so much it looked like I was trying to do it.
Wait, I should be doing edge trailing strokes when stropping?

When I sharpened today I tried something a little different. Instead of going off the blade completely with the stones, I went about 1/4 of the way with the stone and stopped. It seemed to work better.

New Wicked Edge User! 11 months 2 weeks ago #13840

• EamonMcGowan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 199
Yes, edge trailing when stroping. If you do edge leading you will cut into your strop. And that's a bad thing! :lol:
Your new technique sounds much better! I was much happier when I started to do it that way myself. We all have made the same newbie mistakes! It is just part of a small learning curve. From the sounds of it you will be pro in not to long and be the one giving advise! Good job! :woohoo:
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!

New Wicked Edge User! 11 months 2 weeks ago #13842

• KnottyEagle
  • Fresh Boarder
EamonMcGowan wrote:
Yes, edge trailing when stroping. If you do edge leading you will cut into your strop. And that's a bad thing! :lol:
Your new technique sounds much better! I was much happier when I started to do it that way myself. We all have made the same newbie mistakes! It is just part of a small learning curve. From the sounds of it you will be pro in not to long and be the one giving advise! Good job! :woohoo:
Ahhh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the help. Now I know for the future.

New Wicked Edge User! 11 months 2 weeks ago #13843

• JohnnyG
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
Welcome to the forum!!!
Thanks
JohnnyG

Get on the Wicked Edge Users Map
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds