Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Wicked Edge forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: Newbie saying hello!

Re: Newbie saying hello! 1 year 2 months ago #11228

I completely understand :)

I wasn't expecting much of a mirror finish with the stones/strops that I have - and that is okay. I prefer a real working edge, not a show edge. I was stropping it and my finger slipped and with absolutely no pressure I sliced off the tip of my ring finger and didn't even feel it. So I know it's sharp - but that is what happens when we play with sharp things.

It was a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 and the shoulder was bumping the shoulder of the stones and maybe my description wasn't entirely accurate. It's not a half inch - a little less, but I'm at work and can't whip my knife out to measure it. I was thinking of giving it another go but this time reversing the knife direction and mount it handle facing away from me - but I don't think that will get me any closer to clearing up that little spot.

Thanks for the tips/advice though! I need more knives to sharpen... lol
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Newbie saying hello! 1 year 2 months ago #11229

Oh and for the record - I can't afford a set of the Chosera stones. I just spent plenty for right now! LOL

Re: Newbie saying hello! 1 year 2 months ago #11231

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
loft wrote:
Oh and for the record - I can't afford a set of the Chosera stones. I just spent plenty for right now! LOL

I got that. I wrestled with myself for months before buying the WEPS. It just seemed beyond my budget. One day I couldn't take it anymore and just ordered the darn thing :)
Back then they didn't have many stone choices available. I think that it was well over a year before I could get the 1K diamonds. The 1200/1600 ceramics were nowhere to be found for quite awhile. You are starting with much more than I had initially!

When they got the Chosera stones in for the WEPS... Well the bug had firmly bitten me... but it was over a year from buying the first two grits before I completed the purchase of the full progression.

I predict that you will feel the giant sucking of the rabbit hole eventually...
:evil:
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!

Re: Newbie saying hello! 1 year 2 months ago #11232

Noooooo no rabbit hole!

Alright I will admit I'm already staring at the onyx base, newer arms, and the finer strops... but I can't afford it all and I hate progressive upgrades; I either need it all at once or not at all. That's why I ordered what I did because I knew I'd get satisfying edges with it lol

Re: Newbie saying hello! 1 year 2 months ago #11233

I think my brain just went on shutdown. I was looking at what else is available for strops since I have the 5/3.5 micron w/ leather...

Balsa, Nano-Cloth? Sprays? Uhhhhh too much! I assume smaller micron = finer abrasive? And would the sprays be used with a strop or with water stones?

Re: Newbie saying hello! 1 year 2 months ago #11236

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
If you do a bit of searching, all of those have been discussed many times here. It all would be far too much for me to try to type.

Synopsis: Balsa wood, stiffer than leather. Less potential for convexing at the edge. Leather, good stropping material. Razor guys have used it for years. It has some abrasive of its own perhaps making it less suitable for very fine abrasives. Has some "give" so incorrect technique can convex the edge. Kangaroo, very thin and fine grained. Little give and little abrasive of its own. Good for any stropping, but probably makes itself worth the cost with lower grit sizes, around 1 micron and less. Nano cloth, even less give and absolutely no abrasive of its own. Suitable for any abrasive, but really shines with fractional micron abrasives.

The smaller the particle, the lower the grit...yes! Typically the sprays are used in the finer grits. Either Diamond or Cubic Boron Nitride ...Though I have some 30 and 45 micron sprays.

Check out the WIKI:
wickededgeusa.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page&Itemid=102

Here are a couple of interesting links from there. Check out the second one... it is a long thread with lots of photos. I talks about different media and abrasives and show the results obtained in some darn good photomicrographs.

What grit/micron should I have mirror polish?

wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_k...d=6&id=892&Itemid=63

Here is an excellent thread on how the stops and compounds work with lots of micrographs for illustration.

A theory of how the WE diamond pastes work

www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=c...=5&id=2399&Itemid=63

BTW, I see those toes disappearing down the hole..
:evil:
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by PhilipPasteur.

Re: Newbie saying hello! 1 year 2 months ago #11503

Not sure what happened but this is my thread. Why does it show Richard Miller now? lol... I also just had to re-register...

Re: Newbie saying hello! 1 year 2 months ago #11504

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
WilliamShields wrote:
Not sure what happened but this is my thread. Why does it show Richard Miller now? lol... I also just had to re-register...

No idea... especially since this thread is three weeks old, and the user list shows Richard registered yesterday... :unsure:
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds