Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Wicked Edge forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: Newbie saying hello!

Re: Newbie saying hello! 1 year 5 months ago #11075

lol thanks guys. Would it be beneficial to order the 1 and .5 micron diamond strops? And what's this Balsa strop I see? Far too many options... making my head hurt. Currently I use a knivesplus strop which has served me quite well...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Newbie saying hello! 1 year 5 months ago #11076

• EamonMcGowan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 200
loft wrote:
And what's this Balsa strop I see?

I love my balsa strop. If I go lets just say? 400 through 1K diamonds, then 14/10 balsa to 5 leather (roo is really nice) when I take a hair and touch it to the blade it will "pop". :) Or if your looking to revive a edge the 14/10 balsa is also excellent! :cheer:
Just start having fun you just won't believe it? Now if it isn't "wicked sharp" I'm disappointed! :huh:
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!

Re: Newbie saying hello! 1 year 5 months ago #11081

Ahh... I was reading that balsa is a little firmer than leather and it's very porous and works well... I'll have to just wait and see what it's like with the items I ordered. This is going to get expensive very quickly lol

Re: Newbie saying hello! 1 year 5 months ago #11086

• jendeindustries
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113
Well, your best bet is sometimes to just get everything :lol:

But before you go wild on accessories, be sure to master getting a knife sharpened to the stock diamond 600 level first. Then the fun can really begin!
Tom Blodgett
Jende Industries, LLC

My Blog: jendeindustries.wordpress.com

Re: Newbie saying hello! 1 year 4 months ago #11140

Everything just arrived!!! :)

Call me stupid... but how do I use the metal/rubber washers to mount the WEPS to the base? I assume rubber side to the WEPS blue base?

Re: Newbie saying hello! 1 year 4 months ago #11141

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 691
loft wrote:
Everything just arrived!!! :)

Call me stupid... but how do I use the metal/rubber washers to mount the WEPS to the base? I assume rubber side to the WEPS blue base?

The washer goes between the head of the screw and the Granite/QuartzStone/Paperstone base. The rubber side goes against the base and the metal side against the screw head.
--Clay Allison

Re: Newbie saying hello! 1 year 4 months ago #11142

Ahh! Well, I should switch that around then... I ended up doing rubber side against the screw. Thanks!

Re: Newbie saying hello! 1 year 4 months ago #11220

Wow. This really works! My only issue is getting the area of the blade near the shoulder / finger guard. It seems like the stones miss a little less than half an inch of the blade. More than likely it's me... but I like it a lot so far!

Re: Newbie saying hello! 1 year 4 months ago #11224

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
I have seen that, especially with Spyderco knives. The Ricasso, the unsharpened part near the pivot, hits on the plastic of the platen. Not usually a half an inch... for me anyway on the knives where it is an issue (most are not), more like a quarter inch.
Some have ground away the plastic to give clearance, some put something between the stone and the platen..
Or, get some thicker stones. (He whispers...Chosera :))
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by PhilipPasteur.

Re: Newbie saying hello! 1 year 4 months ago #11225

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
mark76 wrote:
That's a big part of the fun of the WEPS. But in cases you don't want to experiment and just build on other people's experiences, try microfine coarse -> 1200 -> 1600 -> microfine fine -> stropping. This will get you a mirror edge that is truly wickedly sharp.

You will get a nice sharp edge this way, no doubt. Yes, a Wicked Edge! However, do not be disappointed if you do not get a "mirror" edge with that progression. It is pretty much impossible at those grit levels. (though you might get close by spending hours stropping.. I mean HOURS) Lots of folks have asked on the forums indicating they were not getting the mirror that they were looking for at that level. Usually they think that they are doing something wrong. This is not the case! If you want a mirror, some finer stones with more polishing ability is what you will need.

Don't get me wrong, with what you have you can put some really super edges on steel..
I am just trying to help set expectations, so that you don't think that you are doing something wrong, or that the WEPS is not doing its job when you don't see a mirror on your edge and do see plenty of visible scratches..

Oh,
And welcome to the forms!
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by PhilipPasteur.
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds