Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: System Passaround

System Passaround 7 months 20 hours ago #16699

• CliffStamp
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 89
I will be doing a system passaround if interested : www.cliffstamp.com/knives/forum/read.php?10,26928

My rules are very simple :

-you have to be willing to report all findings in public, good and bad

-you have to be willing to discuss your results critically (i.e. engage in peer review)

that's it basically.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:System Passaround 7 months 18 hours ago #16704

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 423
Very interesting cliff! I will be following that thread as I'm sure others will :-)

Edit: I just watched the video and appreciate your honesty! Clay has always taken criticism extremely well and I have never seen him get upset about it. +1 for clay!

Josh
Last Edit: 7 months 16 hours ago by razoredgeknives.

Re:System Passaround 7 months 17 hours ago #16709

• mark76
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 464
Nice initiative, Cliff! I will be following as well.

System Passaround 7 months 17 hours ago #16711

• EamonMcGowan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 200
Hi Cliff,
Include me as well in watching this thread. I have purchased 5 knives from CKTG. But have never had any contact with Mr Richmond? Your review of him is enough to make me shy away! I think I will look for the maker of the knife some place else first.
On the other hand? I could not agree more about Clay and WEPS! I would say it is fair that I have been on the WE forum everyday for over a year. In that time frame I have seen people who instead of contacting WE and try to resolve their problems go public and only review a one sided issue.
I have never seen or heard of Clay not doing his absolute best to make the person happy with the outcome. I have even seen him do it where he obviously lost money just do make the person happy!
I understand your feeling of wanting to buy his product just cause?
I just meet Clay at the 2014 SHOT Show for the first time. Clay was busy doing what he was doing and stopped everything just to spend some time with me and give me the personal tour. He has won me over for life and if there is a way for me to endorse him or his product I will be first in line!
Eamon Mc Gowan
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge, razoredgeknives

System Passaround 6 months 4 days ago #17083

• CliffStamp
  • Senior Boarder
This has arrived, I will likely be able to use it this weekend. If there are specific things anyone would like to see addressed let me know.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge

Re:Re: System Passaround 6 months 4 days ago #17086

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
CliffStamp wrote:
This has arrived, I will likely be able to use it this weekend. If there are specific things anyone would like to see addressed let me know.

Did you end up getting any strops?

Josh

Re:Re: System Passaround 6 months 3 days ago #17100

• CliffStamp
  • Senior Boarder
Yes, I have a strop kit.

--

I had a friend stop over and asked him to try it (a person who never sharpened a knife before).

This is the basic procedure I use to introduce people to sharpening, there are refinements to this if you want to advance sharpening, but this gets you past almost all factory and even a lot of custom knives :

-cut the edge off on a stone so you can clearly see it reflect light

This just means make 1-2 passes as if you were trying to cut the stone in half, it just grinds a small flat on the edge, removes any localized stress and sets a base of quality steel to work from.

-set the jig/setting angle at a lowest angle to provide relief, cutting ability and ease of sharpening
-grind with the lowest grit stone using light force until you can't see the edge reflect light
-increase the setting to 17 dps
-jump to the finest stone
-5-10 pps alternating sides, very light

The reason I use 17 dps is that it is below most fixed jigs (20-22) and it makes it easy for people to touch up. Again there are refinements to this, this method is just a way to introduce sharpening which is supposed to be basic and simple.

Using this I watched someone with NO experience take a k390 knife and they thought it was ridiculously simple to make a knife shave easily and slice newsprint like it wasn't there.

--

A few details :

That is the 100 grit stone, here is the 200 :

Here is the edge of a CPM 154 CM PM knife at 13 dps :

Note the pieces knocked out of the edge this produces ones of the immediate refinements to the above method which is to not apex at the first grit but stop when the edge starts to show a reduction in light reflecting and then work up in grits. How many grits you want to use before apexing is just dependent on how much steel you want to conserve.

--

A few negatives :

-the hasps/latches on the case are plastic, I have concerns about how long they will last with repeated opening/closing

-the tape used on the bags over the hones is clear and not easy to see and remove

Ok this looks like a very petty complaint, however if an opaque tape was used which was folded on the ends then it would be much easier to remove without damaging the bags which are very nice to keep the stones in and keep the diamond stones from rubbing together.

A question / possibility :

I played around with using lower settings and it looked to me like the obvious reason why you can't go very low as that you will grind into the actual clamp. However if the clamp could open wider and you could clamp on the handle it looks like that problem would be gone and you could use this to grind to very low angles. I just need to pick up a longer screw to see if that is possible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge, mark76, TedS, EamonMcGowan

Re:Re: System Passaround 6 months 3 days ago #17101

• TedS
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
This is what I use for small knives and other knives that are not too long.
www.tormek.com/en/jigs/svm00/index.php
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge, EamonMcGowan

Re:Re: System Passaround 6 months 3 days ago #17108

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
CliffStamp wrote:
I played around with using lower settings and it looked to me like the obvious reason why you can't go very low as that you will grind into the actual clamp. However if the clamp could open wider and you could clamp on the handle it looks like that problem would be gone and you could use this to grind to very low angles. I just need to pick up a longer screw to see if that is possible.

I thought about that too cliff, but the issue you will run into is that the bases of the guide rod arms will bump into the blue base and not allow you to move them in for lower angles... at least, not with some modifications.

Re:Re: System Passaround 6 months 3 days ago #17109

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
razoredgeknives wrote:
CliffStamp wrote:

I thought about that too cliff, but the issue you will run into is that the bases of the guide rod arms will bump into the blue base and not allow you to move them in for lower angles... at least, not with some modifications.

do you have any pics of the edge when jumping right from the 100 grit to the highest stone with your microbevel? i am curious how well it cleans up the deeper scratches... =)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds