Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Micro Fine Ceramics after 600g stone...

Micro Fine Ceramics after 600g stone... 1 year 5 months ago #9054

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
I did a little testing on how the MicroFine ceramics do after the 600g stone (the 600 being what a standard WE kit or Field and Sport ends with). Answering the question, "If you were going to get one more stone, which one?" I was impressed at how well this stone cleaned up the edge, and left a bit of a mirror polish on the bevel, not to mention a great cutting edge. Not a Phil - turn on the floodlights and examine with a microscope finish (just messing with you Phil) ;) ... you could still see the scratches left by the 600g stone... but a decent finish with little effort. I believe the MicroFine Coarse works well enough to start clearing up the bevel, even after the 600g stone.... in the end, not achieving a MicroFine-Fine finish, but a decent looking start of a mirror edge, if that makes sense.

If I wanted to start down the path of a "polished bevel", I think I'd add this stone first, the 800/1000 diamond next to help set up for the MicroFine ceramics, then maybe a 1/.5m leather or balsa strop third. (Might do a 5/3.5… still need to test this). From there, maybe the SuperFine ceramics, and/or more leather/balsa steps... depending on how crazy you want to get. :woohoo: Of course, this doesn't include the Chosera/waterstone path.

That's my .02...what'd ya think, or in what order would you add stones/strops?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Micro Fine Ceramics after 600g stone... 1 year 5 months ago #9077

• cbwx34
I did a ZT0350 in S30V this a.m., and snapped some pics to give you an idea of this.
(S30Vs not the easiest to polish.)

Couple of notes:
I used a set of fairly new diamonds that have about 1/2 dozen knives on them.
I spent 2 minutes per ceramic... 1 min. going heel to tip, then 1 min. tip to heel.

By doing it this way, you can (hopefully) get an idea of what I mean by polished but can still see the scratches.

ZT_S30V.jpg

ZT_S30V3.jpg
The following user(s) said Thank You: nicholas6225

Re: Micro Fine Ceramics after 600g stone... 1 year 5 months ago #9078

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 609
That's about what I experience when I do the same progression, the only variation coming from how broken in my diamond plates are. Looks great!
--Clay Allison

Re: Micro Fine Ceramics after 600g stone... 1 year 5 months ago #9080

• Mikedoh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 105
So does this give a relatively nice EDC edge, with a bit of flash? If so, what would you do to maintain the edge?

Re: Micro Fine Ceramics after 600g stone... 1 year 5 months ago #9087

• cbwx34
Yes, I think it's a great edge, and would just maintain it with the MicroFine-Fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikedoh
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds