Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Why water stones?

Re: Why water stones? 1 year 9 months ago #6998

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
Wel it will be tonight before I can make much progress on this project. I am at work now.

As we will see, it is very interesting how the lighting brings out features differently. I took some with just ambient lighting, some with bounce flash, and some at a steep angle to the blade (mostly to show reflectivity). At one point it got to where the ambient pics showed nothing but a featureless smooth surface. I then used the flash with a difuser that was angled up and back bouncing off of the white ceiling. This revealed all kinds of sctratches that just werent visible previously.I even took some that should be interesting, but I only reviewed them on the camera. I focused on the reflection of a tree about 20 feet away as reflected in the edge after the 12K Superstones. Definitely different if nothing else :)

This was a lot of fun to play with, but take a great deal of time. It makes me admire and appreciate the studies that Clay does just that much more.

Mark, I noticed the indications of different angles as well. I do have the new ball joint arms. I adjusted the angle a bit between the superfine and microfine stones, but thought that I simply set it at 18 degrees each time. I was trying to be careful, perhaps the angle cube tolerances ended up being stacked against me. This goes away when I go higher in grit.

I do really like the stuff that Clay does at 500 /800 and 2500. We can really see what is going on at each grit. Sometimes I get lost in the scale at that magnification though. I really set out to let people see the difference that the Chosera stones make in the appearance of the edge at the macro level while tying it is with the scratch pattern. I just like this scale better, for that, and was able to get better and more consistent results than with my Veho. One I get them all up, I will really want to hear what you all think.

Phil

Phil
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by PhilipPasteur.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Why water stones? 1 year 9 months ago #7023

• KenBuzbee
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 110
PhilipPasteur wrote:
Wel it will be tonight before I can make much progress on this project. I am at work now.

Jobs! Can't you just call in sick or something, Phil? This is important stuff here ;)

Well, I can't wait to see the rest of the story!

Ken
玉鋼

Re: Why water stones? 1 year 9 months ago #7033

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
Still getting my act together on the progression stroy.. but I thought these might be interesting to somebody. This is the edge after the 10K Chosera stones. I managed to fool the camera into focusing on thereflection of a tree about 20 feet away instead of the blade. Keep in mind, the reflection is through a window screen and a triple pane window with low E coatings that really needs a good wash job. Now that might well be called a mirror edge...

Phil

MAX 2001-2013
I miss you Buddy!

Re: Why water stones? 1 year 9 months ago #7034

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
So just to get warmed up, this is the knife. One of the Mule team knives from Spyderco. They make 400 to 600 of these with no handle, just the blanks. They do this so they can get people to try different types of steel at a relatively low cost. This one if the MT15 made from CTS B75P. The "P" stnds for powder metalurgy.

This is the Snakewood handle that I put on it. I used brass liners and am pretty happy with the way it cam out.

Soon to get to the Waterstone related part..
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
I miss you Buddy!

Re: Why water stones? 1 year 9 months ago #7041

• DAUG
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
Phil,

Love your work on this thread and really want to see the pics you've posted, but for some reason it's not showing up properly. It's coming out pixelated..... let me try downloading one more time and see what comes up.

Yep, first picture in thread #7033 is still coming out pixelated.

But love the handles on your Mule knife....very nice, and I like the results with the Chosera stone finish.
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by DAUG.

Re: Why water stones? 1 year 9 months ago #7042

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 388
Yes, very nice handles! Is it snakewood?

Re: Why water stones? 1 year 9 months ago #7045

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
Yes Mark, they are Snakewood. Very dense and hard to work...and heavy. They are pretty, but between the Snakewood and the brass liners, the knife is not well balanced.

Phil
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
I miss you Buddy!

Re: Why water stones? 1 year 9 months ago #7046

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
Curious. They are showing up here fine and displayed on my desktop and laptop at home OK too.
That picture is pretty bizarre anytway. To get the camera to focus on the tree, everything in the foreground is waaaay out of focus. I just thought it interesting that I could even do it.

I was struggling with Photobucket. I carefully named all of the photos then upladed them. Once there I could not see my file names. I had to go back and match them up to what is on my PC and rename them.

Not sure why they are showing pixelated for you. Anyone else having issues with the photos?

You can try looking at the pictures at the web site:

s1169.beta.photobucket.com/user/mandrake...ry/CTS%20B75P%20Mule

I will still post them here with some descriptions.
Phil

DAUG wrote:
Phil,

Love your work on this thread and really want to see the pics you've posted, but for some reason it's not showing up properly. It's coming out pixelated..... let me try downloading one more time and see what comes up.

Yep, first picture in thread #7033 is still coming out pixelated.

But love the handles on your Mule knife....very nice, and I like the results with the Chosera stone finish.
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
I miss you Buddy!

Re: Why water stones? 1 year 9 months ago #7047

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
Pics look good to me.

Nice work!

Re: Why water stones? 1 year 9 months ago #7048

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 646
The pic in #7033 is a little blurry, but I think that's due to the screen and glass. It isn't pixelated on my system.
--Clay Allison
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds