Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Lapped and Un-lapped Micro-Fine Stones at 800x

Lapped and Un-lapped Micro-Fine Stones at 800x 2 years 1 month ago #4652

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 649
This was a really fun study to do on the Wicked Edge knife sharpener - I started by sharpening a blade to a near perfect finish using kangaroo strops and .25 micron diamond spray. Here is the edge just after the strops:

25um-kangaroo.jpg

There are a few small scratches but the bevel is very smooth overall.

Then I created a micro-bevel 5 degrees wider with a set of .6 micron Micro-Fine ceramic stones that I had not previously lapped. Here is the image:

MicroFine.6um-Unlapped-1.jpg

It's easy to see the micro-bevel and the way the metal has been grooved.

Next I used a set of .6 micron ceramic stones that I had lapped to create another micro-bevel at 4 degrees lower, so just in between the stropped edge and the unlapped micro-bevel. Here is that picture:

MicroFine.6um-Llapped-1.jpg

You can see the smooth section where the blade had been stropped, then 1 degree wider there is a small band where the lapped .6 micron ceramic stones were used and then a wider band where the unlapped .6 micron ceramics stones were used. Clearly, lapping the stones will yield a more refined edge. I'll try another experiment soon where I use each stone on the very edge. I find the ridge of metal being pushed toward the stropped portion interesting. I was using edge leading strokes, pushing into the blade and clearly pushing metal back up the bevel toward the stropped area.

You can check out the zoomed images on my here on my blog.
--Clay Allison
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by wickededge.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Lapped and Un-lapped Micro-Fine Stones at 800x 2 years 1 month ago #4653

• wickededge
  • Administrator
Next, I smoothed out the bevels again in one long gentle arc from 22 degrees out to 30 degrees using the kangaroo strops and .25 micron diamond spray. Here is the progression up the bevel as I increased the angle:

Stropped-.25um-Kangaroo-on-Ridge-1.jpg

Stropped-.25um-Kangaroo-on-Ridge-2.jpg

Stropped-.25um-Kangaroo-on-Ridge-3.jpg

Stropped-.25um-Kangaroo-on-Ridge-4.jpg

to be continued... :)
--Clay Allison

Re: Lapped and Un-lapped Micro-Fine Stones at 800x 2 years 1 month ago #4654

• wickededge
  • Administrator
as promised:

Stropped-.25um-Kangaroo-on-Ridge-5.jpg

After progressing up the angles again over the 8 degrees in 2 degree increments, I had a nice smooth bevel:

Stropped-.25um-Kangaroo-on-Ridge-6.jpg

Since I had a nice smooth curve, I figured I could do a few light strokes with the .6 micron Micro-Fine ceramic stones right in the middle of the curvature and get a great contrast between the scratches and the smooth surface:

Stropped-.25um-Kangaroo-on-Ridge-7.jpg

Stropped-.25um-Kangaroo-on-Ridge-8.jpg

This is just 5 very gentle edge-leading strokes. Again, it's easy to see the metal being pushed toward the shoulder of the bevel down in the bottom of the image.

Again, please see my blog for zoomed images. Once there, click on any image to see it in its original resolution.
--Clay Allison
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by wickededge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mark76, PhilipPasteur

Re: Lapped and Un-lapped Micro-Fine Stones at 800x 2 years 1 month ago #4655

• BobNash
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
Very cool Clay - :woohoo:
Did you lap the ceramic with the 1000 grit diamond?
Interesting to see the metal being pushed - now that I've seen it I guess I should have thought it would do that since we can push up a burr....
Some of the edges I've sharpened on the WE
www.oldawan.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
505-570-2040 (mobile and office)

Re: Lapped and Un-lapped Micro-Fine Stones at 800x 2 years 1 month ago #4656

• wickededge
  • Administrator
I lapped them with all stones 100#-1000# and the with a 3um bench stone I have though I doubt is was necessary to go that far.
BobNash wrote:
Very cool Clay - :woohoo:
Did you lap the ceramic with the 1000 grit diamond?
Interesting to see the metal being pushed - now that I've seen it I guess I should have thought it would do that since we can push up a burr....
--Clay Allison

Re: Lapped and Un-lapped Micro-Fine Stones at 800x 2 years 1 month ago #4657

• wickededge
  • Administrator
I also learned something about the kangaroo strops in this series (besides the fact that they ROCK!) which is that they work best when they're slightly damp. I had loaded them heavily a few blades back and they were long since dry. Powder was coming off so I decided to moisten them to make the most of the diamonds still on the leather. I used rubbing alcohol since that's what I had on my desk. The difference was dramatic; they worked much better after I sprayed them. Later, I sprayed them with some more .25um spray which worked just as well. In the past, I had thought that I needed to recharge them almost every time - I realize now that the benefit I was getting from the recharges was mostly from the moisture.
--Clay Allison
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds