Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Just got my Chosera stones

Just got my Chosera stones 10 months 2 weeks ago #13983

• johpe
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
Hi

I just got my Chosera stones from 800 to 10k grit with custom fitting 800/2k, 1k/3k and 5k/10k from Bob at Oldawan.

And I just wanted to say that if your considering buying Chosera stones - go for it!!!

I've always had problems with the sharpening progression after 1k diamonds (the diamond progression has been great though), I've got the super fine and micro fine ceramics and a bunch of strops but erasing diamond scratches has meant a lot of work for me with the ceramics (they have seemed to be too far between in grit sizes).

But now with the Choseras the progression is great all the way! It is just as if continuing with diamonds, it requires very little effort to go between the grits all the way up to 10k.

And custom fitting the handles was a really good idea someone had since then the next grit size is soaking while I'm working on the current grit (this is not possible on the standard fit where for example the 800 is set together with the 1k stone).

So TL;DR - buy Chosera stones! They are great!

I know it is quite easy to take photos that does not show any scratches (but I really tried to show scratches on this one). First Chosera edge:
h2bc093c.JPG
Last Edit: 10 months 2 weeks ago by johpe. Reason: Spelling
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BobNash

Just got my Chosera stones 10 months 2 weeks ago #13986

• JackMontrose
  • Senior Boarder
Well you have very pretty down pat, how sharp did it come out? Did you strop, and if so which strops and grits did you use?

Just got my Chosera stones 10 months 2 weeks ago #13988

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 361
Congrats! I agree... I you're out for the most mirror edge there is, the Chosera 5K/10K are indispensable.

If find, however, it is fine to use these stones after the ceramics. But that's why sharpening is a personal thing. You cannot argue taste.

Just got my Chosera stones 10 months 2 weeks ago #13989

• johpe
  • Senior Boarder
I did some stropping on roo with 0.25 and 0.125 um CBN spray. I got HHT-2 and HHT-3 sharp consistently and some HHT-4 pops, but no HHT-5 yet...

I'll have to experiment a bit with ceramics and then on to chosera... That's still on the todo list (I just got them yesyerday).

Just got my Chosera stones 10 months 2 weeks ago #13993

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
Looks great!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Just got my Chosera stones 10 months 2 weeks ago #13999

• BobNash
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
Looks Fantastic :woohoo: - glad they are helping out as we hoped!
Some of the edges I've sharpened on the WE
www.oldawan.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
505-570-2040 (mobile and office)
The following user(s) said Thank You: johpe

Just got my Chosera stones 10 months 2 weeks ago #14002

• johpe
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks, and especially thanks to you Bob for helping out and having the patience to answer all my questions.

Tonight I got my first HHT-4 / HHT-5 edge on a Richmond Artifex Gyuto in m390 steel at 13 degrees (much thanks to the Chosera stones)! It did not come out a perfect mirror (the steel is this one is a bit of a pain to sharpen) and it ate my roo strops as a night snack, I don't know how many times I knicked them, but in the end it became plenty sharp.

Just got my Chosera stones 10 months 2 weeks ago #14004

• EamonMcGowan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 197
It is very hard to beat the chosera's and Bob Nash! Both are #1!
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!

Just got my Chosera stones 10 months 2 weeks ago #14022

• johpe
  • Senior Boarder
pEamonMcGowan wrote:

Yes they are! And when it comes to the Choseras (after using them some more) it's not only the result that is great it's also the feedback while using them. At least up to the 3k stone it was possible to hear and feel the difference when the grit was done, the 5 and 10k is more difficult (at least for me) and I suppose that is due to the fact that they are so fine grit so it's hard to feel the difference of the metal beneath.

Now I just need to find new knives to sharpen cause now my diamonds get virtually no use since all my own knives just needs touch-ups.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge

Just got my Chosera stones 10 months 2 weeks ago #14028

• EamonMcGowan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 197
johpe wrote:
pEamonMcGowan wrote:

Yes they are! And when it comes to the Choseras (after using them some more) it's not only the result that is great it's also the feedback while using them. At least up to the 3k stone it was possible to hear and feel the difference when the grit was done, the 5 and 10k is more difficult (at least for me) and I suppose that is due to the fact that they are so fine grit so it's hard to feel the difference of the metal beneath.

Now I just need to find new knives to sharpen cause now my diamonds get virtually no use since all my own knives just needs touch-ups.

And down the rabbit hole he goes...This is the way it starts next you start asking friends, nieghbors and family for knives... the next thing you know your on a street corner with a sign "will sharpen knives for..." Just try to remember to eat and sleep too :S :woohoo:
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds