Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Another step after 1000 diamond stones

Re: Another step after 1000 diamond stones 10 months 3 weeks ago #11316

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
I have not tried it. I have thought of trying it, but the idea of contamination is a put off. I think there are solid particles in the dried marker. I would not want those coming into play as I strop ... not to mention the mess created on the stops.
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Another step after 1000 diamond stones 10 months 3 weeks ago #11321

• EatingPie
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Geocyclist wrote:
Has anyone tried using the marker with strops? (i.e. to see if your pressure is too hard)

When my strops were new I was afraid of getting marker on them and contamination, etc. Wondering if anyone has tried this?
Alcohol takes the sharpie right off the leather like a charm.

But I've done sharpie with the leather strops only. I wouldn't try it on the balsa because it's too porous. The color rubs off the bevel pretty slowly... unless you put alcohol on your strops, then it comes right off. :) The color basically just gets lighter and lighter, rather than showing scratches. It does tell you if you're hitting the bevel right.

I can't comment on other contamination in the ink. I hadn't thought of that. The other issue is that the alcohol can dry out the leather. My original strops are pretty hard now -- much harder than my balsa.

-Pie

Re: Another step after 1000 diamond stones 10 months 3 weeks ago #11325

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 184
EatingPie wrote:
Geocyclist wrote:
The other issue is that the alcohol can dry out the leather. My original strops are pretty hard now -- much harder than my balsa.

-Pie

For what ever it is worth? Knifes plus who makes a real nice strop uses olive oil to treat their strops.
" we melt down a high chrome rouge in olive oil until it is the consistency of thick vasoline. We smear and work this preparation into the leather surface with a hard rolled shop rag until the surface of the strop is thoroughly saturated and coated. Then we let the polish sink in and set for two days under low heat."
www.knivesplus.com/KP-STROP8-STROPBLOCK.html
Their not the end all, but maybe some good info?
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!

Re: Another step after 1000 diamond stones 10 months 3 weeks ago #11326

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
I know that many here like the alcohol on strops idea. I just can't embrace it. Yes the big thing for me is the way alcohol dries out leather. If you select leather for a stropping medium, it is because of the way it works at the edge. If you turn it into a rock, it no longer does what you got it for.
Beyond that, I did try it for a few knives, it just does not fit my technique. I like smooth almost friction free movement of the strops on the steel. Just letting the abrasives work, with a very light touch. The alcohol, as long as it is wet, does add friction, but it doesn't "feel" right to me. As far as I can tell the added friction does not make the abrasive work any better. (AND, it ruins the strops in pretty short order.)

I don't have any objective evidenced of this, and only a few knives worth of subjective evidence. We go back to the same discussion of whether additional friction actually translates into the ability of the lather to work the steel apart from the action of the abrasives. I think everyone that has read what I have written on this, knows my opinion on this one.

So, going the other way, I have heavily treated my hard rolled horse but (8 pound)with leather conditioner before mounting. The concept is to maintain a specific texture and compressibility for a longer time. I have used both Obenauf's LP and Picard leather preservatives. Applied to the leather and maintained at 125 degrees F ..
applied until no more would be absorbed. Then I lap with 220 grit sandpaper finishing with 600 grit.

The feel is different than untreated leather, but not as different as the alcohol. This really seems to keep a consistency in the strops for much longer, It also seems to keep the abrasive more on the surface, as the pores of the leather are not as thirsty. They also seem to resist abrasion and slicing better... but maybe that is just due to my improved technique..
:)

Anyway, I can tell whether the strops are doing what I want by using magnification... and the calibrated thumb method tells me quickly if I am going in the wrong direction.
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds