Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Another step after 1000 diamond stones

Re: Another step after 1000 diamond stones 1 year 4 months ago #11172

• Mikedoh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 125
Clip from "my cousin vinney"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Another step after 1000 diamond stones 1 year 4 months ago #11173

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
MattCole wrote:
Thanks for the input.

I think I will order the 800/1000 Chosera stones. Is it easy enough to get the 1000 Chosera scratches out with the 2000 Chosera? Or would the micro fine ceramics be a good enough next step. I really don't like the 1200/1600 ceramics, they seem crumbly and quite inconsistent, so it would be great if I could get around them.

Matt,
Many say that the coarse microfine ceramic is more coarse than the 1200 grit Ceramics. They suggest that the order would be the 1.4 micron microfine stone, then the 1200/1600 then the fine microfine at 0.6 microns. That is the way I have been using them...
They all do fine at the edge, but leave scratches.
Yes the 1000 Chosera scratches are readily removed by the 2K or even 3K Chosera Stones.
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikedoh

Re: Another step after 1000 diamond stones 1 year 4 months ago #11174

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
Mikedoh wrote:
Clip from "my cousin vinney"

Yeah.. I got that.. but first someone has to have the motivation to even look... know the thing well enough to remember the "grits" thing... then find the clip...

WOAH..

I was wrong.. 1992... but Joe Pesci looked very young... damn I am getting old...
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
I miss you Buddy!

Re: Another step after 1000 diamond stones 1 year 4 months ago #11175

• Mikedoh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 125
Didn't remember the grits part till seeing the clip.
"Utes" (youths with a Brooklyn accent), I remember well.

Re: Another step after 1000 diamond stones 1 year 4 months ago #11176

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
Back awhile ago I looked for the diamond films, but could not find anyone that sold in small amounts.
I was also really looking for the PSA films though. All I ever used was the lapping films down to about0.5 microns. They actually do a good job, but are a bit slow and do not last long.

The site you link to does not list grit ratings... just numbers. How would I know what I was ordering? Might just be interested in trying some.

Ken Schwartz sells the diamond films, but I could never talk him into selling me any that were not pre-mounted.
He said the PSA just di not stick well enough.. He said it pissed enough people off that he would only sell it mounted to glass or AL plate. I used to attach abrasive papers to stones. Now I have some glass blanks. I just never was real happy with attaching them at the ends with tape. Just a little bit of slack, and precision goes out the door.

How do you attach these to the EP blanks?

BTW.. just a thought that came to me... I bought an EP Apex with choseras and several other stones.. glass blanks and AL blanks. Bought the nice glass circular plate to mount it .. I used it about a dozen times and decided it wasn't working for me... I have to dig it up one day and see if I can mount all of those nice stones for the WEPS...

Not trying to start any arguments.. just stream of consciousness.

pinkfloyd74 wrote:
Has anyone tried these on the WE, I have used them on an EP and they have worked really well. Grit down to .1u
www.psidragon.com/products/MA/MA_DLF/MA_..._DLF%20PB%203X6.aspx
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
I miss you Buddy!
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by PhilipPasteur.

Re: Another step after 1000 diamond stones 1 year 4 months ago #11177

• Geocyclist
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 168
Phil is correct. Don't fall into the grit trap. The chart on the WE site is good for photos and to reference different grits within the same type of stone. But don't take it too seriously when going across stone types (i.e. chosera vs. diamonds)

Once you use a chosera once you will realize it is just magic. The grit table just won't matter. You will wonder how something so smooth (like butter) can refine a great edge into something amazing.

I just did 400 - 800 choseras on a CPM M4 blade tonight after doing the 1000# last night. I am still amazed how easy these stones glide over the steel yet produce such an amazing transformation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PhilipPasteur

Re: Another step after 1000 diamond stones 1 year 4 months ago #11178

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
DMT Extra fine is rated 1200 grit.. I think the Extra Extra fine is 8000 grit
They are not cheap, but it seems that that grit level can be made in diamond plates.
No idea whether the supplier that WEPS uses can do those grits.

Thanks Geo!
MattCole wrote:
That's the kit I got too. That is an impossible step from 1000 diamond to the microfine ceramic stones.
And I agree a 1200/1600 diamond stone would be great, I like the consistency of the diamond stones. It's easy to step up through the grits and get all the last grits scratches out. But there probably is a reason they don't exist.
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
I miss you Buddy!

Re: Another step after 1000 diamond stones 1 year 4 months ago #11181

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 691
PhilipPasteur wrote:
They are not cheap, but it seems that that grit level can be made in diamond plates.

Thanks Geo!
MattCole wrote:
That's the kit I got too. That is an impossible step from 1000 diamond to the microfine ceramic stones.
And I agree a 1200/1600 diamond stone would be great, I like the consistency of the diamond stones. It's easy to step up through the grits and get all the last grits scratches out. But there probably is a reason they don't exist.

Funny you should mention those particular stones just now. Today I placed our first order for those stones fitted to our handles. Just need to wait about six weeks now.
--Clay Allison

Re: Another step after 1000 diamond stones 1 year 4 months ago #11182

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 200
wickededge wrote:
PhilipPasteur wrote:

Thanks Geo!
MattCole wrote:

Funny you should mention those particular stones just now. Today I placed our first order for those stones fitted to our handles. Just need to wait about six weeks now.

SOLD!!!
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!

Re: Another step after 1000 diamond stones 1 year 4 months ago #11188

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
PhilipPasteur wrote:
Yeah.. I got that.. but first someone has to have the motivation to even look... know the thing well enough to remember the "grits" thing... then find the clip...

WOAH...

Haha... I always remember that clip (probably 'cause I grew up on them, and was amazed how many people didn't even know what they were...) so whenever someone says, "grits is (or isn't) grits", it pops in my head.. As for finding it... it took me longer to type this post. :silly:

PhilipPasteur wrote:

They can be, but, unless things have changed, don't expect to be dazzled by the 8000g DMT stone. When you get it, it leaves a worse finish than their XF stone. Here's a picture I did from a few years back...

image_2013-05-23.jpg

I was actually selling them at the time... so this quickly became "an issue". I spent several days doing nothing but trying to break in this stone. I eventually got it to polish in a few areas on the stone, (but also killed a couple of sections). It will break in, and the up side is, it has a nice feel and leaves a great edge even when it's new, but it probably shows it isn't that easy to make such a fine diamond stone. The other upside, is, using a smaller version on the WE, should accelerate the break-in time.
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds