Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: WEPS Pro Pack II

Re: WEPS Pro Pack II 1 year 11 months ago #4904

• Jet B
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I'm a bit disappointed that I have to fork over more money to achieve exact angles on each side. I discovered this after re-profiling a fairly thick blade. Because the one side of the clamp is fixed and the other one floats, your angles will never be symmetrical side to side.

The solution is to use an angle cube to set the angles and not use the preset angle markings on the bars. Rather than buy the new arms that are adjustable, I'm going to try turning the brackets around and not using the pre-drilled divots. As long as those angle cubes are accurate to .1 of a degree and the arms don't move it should work.

Maybe I will buy the new arms eventually once it looks like all the bugs have been worked out of the changes.

If you are buying the system for the first time, I would definitely recommend getting the angle cube and adjustable arms though.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: WEPS Pro Pack II 1 year 11 months ago #5002

• FredHermann
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 41
I'm not sure if this is the place to ask, but how do you order the Pro-Pack 2? It's not on the website, although there's lots of referrals to it here in the forums.
Should I just call and do a phone order?
Any ideas how back ordered these are?
Can you tell I'm new here?
:)

Thanks again for any advice.
“On one otherwise normal Tuesday evening I had the chance to live the American dream. I was able to throw my incompetent jack*ss of a boss from a fourteenth-story window.”

Owen Pitt – Monster Hunter International

Re: WEPS Pro Pack II 1 year 11 months ago #5003

• Scott Sherman
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 36
Hey Fred,
Like you, I am new here also and I did order a Pro Pack 2 by phone directly from WE. I ordered it last week and they said that they were back ordered, but were receiving a shipment of the new arms this week so that they could start to fill the back orders that were waiting before me. I was told that my system would ship next week and I think that they have more kits than orders at this time. However, they are still just selling from word of mouth from the different knife forums, which seems pretty effective. I am guessing that once it goes onto the website it will start to sell a bit faster. Also, I am not sure if there was a quality control issue with the parts they received or if they are good to go and being shipped. I have not had any updates since ordering as to the status of my order. I am very anxious to get it and get using it.

I will say that this forum is an outstanding place to learn and get advice on the new system and sharpening in general. I have asked many questions and in retrospect some pretty dumb ones, knowing what I know now, but to the credit of this forum community, I have never been flamed or made fun of for my posts. Nothing but great friendly, helpful responses from very informed and apparently skilled knife owners.

In fact, Clay Allison, the originator of the WEPS monitors these new posts and frequently responds. He is a great guy, who takes a personal interest in keeping his customers satisfied with a superior, high quality, evolving product.

So good to have another new guy hanging out here. Welcome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FredHermann

Re: WEPS Pro Pack II 1 year 11 months ago #5004

• Billabong
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 49
I see Howes Knife Shop are advertising, but don't have stock.
They also need to update the pictures, as they show prototype arms.

www.howesknifeshop.com/wicked-edge-preci...ed-edge-pro-pack-ii/

Re: WEPS Pro Pack II 1 year 11 months ago #5005

• FredHermann
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks Scott!
I've spent hours pouring over YouTube, these fourms, and a few other resources.
I think the post that compared this to waiting for the perfect PC annoyed me (because it was so spot on) enough that I decided to just order one. I was totally waffling over which version to get.
Anyhow...I'll call tomorrow and get in the queue.

I think the thing that really seperated this system from the numerous others online is Clay himself. He's a great salesman, stands behind it with a passion, and has an extremely stand out product.

So now what do I do with my old Lansky kit? *evil laugh* I swear going from hand honing to the Landsky was the differece between making bronze weapons, and jumping to tool steel. this looks to be a jump from tool steel to...lightsaber?

Thanks again!
“On one otherwise normal Tuesday evening I had the chance to live the American dream. I was able to throw my incompetent jack*ss of a boss from a fourteenth-story window.”

Re: WEPS Pro Pack II 1 year 11 months ago #5007

• Scott Sherman
  • Expert Boarder
I can so relate to everything you said. I did the whole youtube, blade forum, google circuit before deciding on which system to buy. I decided initially that I would not spend so much money on just a hobby sharpener and started looking at bench stones and hand sharpening, but decided that it was too imprecise and did not want to ruin some knives that I enjoy and are a bit expensive. So I started looking at systems. Lansky seemed the likely choice, but there was something about watching Clay on youtube. It just made sense. Knowing myself, I decided to just pass up on all the cheaper systems and just get the one that I would eventually wind up with anyway. I like toys and expensive toys are more fun, so this should hold me for quite some time.

Hope you enjoy your new system and I hope that it goes trouble free for you.

Re: WEPS Pro Pack II 1 year 11 months ago #5012

• JDS
  • Senior Boarder
I'm glad others see my point about wanting it polished and complete. It might seem picky to want "little booties" to cover my pivots, but for $700 I guess I expect a lot, lol.

It's simply like the computer analogy, if you believe in the design, you want to start sharpening/learning then you just need to dive in, good bad or ugly. I think we're all "tinkerers" so a few mods here and there wont kill me, I was just worried about big design flaws. Seems to pretty solid though as is Clay himself. I trust if there was a major problem he would take care of it, his "reachability" speaks volumes. I'm sure i'll be in line this week as well.

And +1 on the forum, very helpful and friendly.

Re: WEPS Pro Pack II 1 year 10 months ago #5489

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 610
We're getting close! I just examined the newest batch of samples for the newly redesigned Base Rod. The production run is shipping out to us from VT today. Here are some photos:

WE100PR2-1.jpg

WE100PR2-2.jpg

WE100PR2-3.jpg

WE100PR2-4.jpg

And here is what is included with the Pro-Pack II:
  • Wicked Edge Precision Knife Sharpener
  • QuartzStone Base
  • 2 each of 100#, 200#, 400#, 600#, 800# and 1000# diamond plates
  • 2 each of 1.4um and .6um ceramic stones
  • 2 each of 1um and .5um diamond and leather strops
  • Digital angle gauge
  • New Guide Rods with ball joints and micro-adjustments
  • Riser
  • New Base Rod calibrated for the Riser and Ball-Joint Assembly with angle range of 13-35 degrees per side
--Clay Allison
The following user(s) said Thank You: sharperthannew, Billabong

Re: WEPS Pro Pack II 1 year 10 months ago #5490

• Scott Sherman
  • Expert Boarder
GOOD TIMES!!!

Very exciting after what has been (for me) a very long wait. Glad to see it coming together. Looking forward to my unboxing. :P
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by Scott Sherman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge

Re: WEPS Pro Pack II 1 year 10 months ago #5510

• FredHermann
  • Gold Boarder
I'm posting to put this to the top.
We have waited for news on the new Pro Pack II, we're all excited to see them!

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds