Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: new arms

Re: new arms 1 year 11 months ago #4915

  • Billabong
  • Billabong's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Banned
  • Posts: 355
  • Thank you received: 49
  • Karma: 44
Hi Philip,
I don't have the new arms yet, but have ordered them today.

I have no problem buying any of Wicked Edges products.

If you watched the video I refered to above, then read the comments on that page, you will see where he replies to me about stones not fitting on the "new" arms.

From what you say, it might not be a widespread problem.
I can notice a difference between my stones with a straw over the original arms.
But my comments are not based on that.
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: new arms 1 year 11 months ago #4916

  • wickededge
  • wickededge's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1762
  • Thank you received: 610
  • Karma: 91
The stone holders are created by injection molding and an air piston is used to create the hole. Depending on the cooling rate, there can be some minor expansion/shrinkage of the plastic. The other potential cause are the screws holding the trays to the black plastic piece - if they're over-tightened in production, they can cause the plastic to bulge slightly toward the hole making it tighter. A quick ream with a rat tail file does the trick. It's an issue we hear almost nothing about these days though it used to crop up a few years ago. I've looked at installing a brass sleeve inside each of the handles that fits the rod incredibly closely but still slides smoothly. It turned out to be prohibitively expensive and the performance improvement was minimal.
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: new arms 1 year 11 months ago #4918

  • Billabong
  • Billabong's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Banned
  • Posts: 355
  • Thank you received: 49
  • Karma: 44
wickededge wrote:
It's an issue we hear almost nothing about these days though it used to crop up a few years ago.

Thanks for the detail Clay, I'm sure it's not a big deal.

Perhaps it has only reared it's head again with the increased diameter of the new, thicker rods supplied with the new arms?

Or maybe just with older stones/paddles?

Either way, I can't wait to get hold of these new arms. ;)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: new arms 1 year 11 months ago #4921

  • wickededge
  • wickededge's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1762
  • Thank you received: 610
  • Karma: 91
Yes - a while back we reduced the thickness of the arms to allow for the variation in the handles. The new rods are thicker to answer the feedback we'd been getting about too much play. I like the thicker arms and just reaming the whole a little as a solution because it eliminates most of the play.
Billabong wrote:
wickededge wrote:
It's an issue we hear almost nothing about these days though it used to crop up a few years ago.

Thanks for the detail Clay, I'm sure it's not a big deal.

Perhaps it has only reared it's head again with the increased diameter of the new, thicker rods supplied with the new arms?

Or maybe just with older stones/paddles?

Either way, I can't wait to get hold of these new arms. ;)
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: new arms 1 year 11 months ago #4922

  • Billabong
  • Billabong's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Banned
  • Posts: 355
  • Thank you received: 49
  • Karma: 44
wickededge wrote:
The new rods are thicker

Do you have a measurement for the new rods Clay?
Then I can start my search for a rubber boot.

My Mitutoyo Digital Calipers read 5.15mm for the older rods.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: new arms 1 year 11 months ago #4923

  • wickededge
  • wickededge's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1762
  • Thank you received: 610
  • Karma: 91
Billabong wrote:
wickededge wrote:
The new rods are thicker

Do you have a measurement for the new rods Clay?
Then I can start my search for a rubber boot.

My Mitutoyo Digital Calipers read 5.15mm for the older rods.

I get 6.31mm on my Mitutoyos :)
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Billabong
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds