Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: new arms

Re: new arms 2 years 1 week ago #4623

• Billabong
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 49
Hi Clay,
I have heard you are the most helpful person, so I ask again.
I just received my WickedEdge in Australia and am hoping to get the new arms.
How can I achieve this?

For now, I might replace the arm pin with a screw and tap one hole.
I assume the pins are just pressed in.
Did you do this mod or was it just something I found on the net?

The Subway straws are a different size in Australia too. ;)

I am amazed at the results I can achieve in such a limited time.
A former Lansky user.
Much to learn, so glad I bought this.
Everyone over here needs to know about this secret weapon.

Hope you find time to reply.
Enjoying reading the forums and scouring the net for more info.

Thankyou so much.
Billabong
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: leomitch

Re: new arms 2 years 6 days ago #4893

• BrianLedford
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I just placed my order for a set of these. Can`t wait to try them out.

Re: new arms 2 years 6 days ago #4895

• Rlb
  • Junior Boarder
  • RLB
  • Thank you received: 8
Hey guys before anyone orders these you really should check to see if their currents arm bar is in spec.

To do this just look from the front so you are looking at the sides with the holes. You know you will need a new bar if you see a belly under the bar pointing toward the wood or whatever you have it mounted on. It appears that when the holes were pressed it pushed the metal out toward the bottom side of the bar. The new arms will not slide past this protrusion!

If you see this when you call WE to order make sure you tell them and ask for them to send a new bar.

Just trying to prevent another disappointing new toy unboxing!

Good luck!

Re: new arms 2 years 5 days ago #4900

• Billabong
  • Banned
Rlb wrote:
Hey guys before anyone orders these you really should check to see if their currents arm bar is in spec.

To do this just look from the front so you are looking at the sides with the holes. You know you will need a new bar if you see a belly under the bar pointing toward the wood or whatever you have it mounted on.
Good luck!

This is very obvious in M0DiFiEDZ new YouTube video he released yesterday.

"Installing the New Wicked Edge Ball Joint Arms"

Here is a pic from that.

edit - Made pic visible!
Attachments:
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Billabong.

Re: new arms 2 years 5 days ago #4901

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
I wish I had seen that video befor I "fixed" my new arms. I filed the INSIDE of the slider to make them fit.
Took a bunch of work, but finally they would slide the entire length of the rod. Problem is, now they rock a bit changing the angle ...if I am not careful. I can use them, but have to pay attention to tightening the set screw very well and not torquing the bottom of the joint to the outside.

The upside to this is that I talked to Clay and he is going to replace the bar and the sliders. I fully expected to pay for a new set of sliders, as it was my bad decision that screwed them up. Instead the WEPS policy of unconditionally standing behind their gear saved my butt.

Clay has said that he would replace the base bar for everyone that had bought the PRO II or upgrade arms with the recalibrated longer bar. I am not sure how much more we can ask for.

I guess it is good for folks to have a heads up on the issue... just in case. I know that I was a bit disillusioned when I could not install my new arms...

Phil

Phil
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
Last Edit: 2 years 5 days ago by PhilipPasteur. Reason: spelling

Re: new arms 2 years 5 days ago #4902

• Rlb
  • Junior Boarder
  • RLB
  • Thank you received: 8
Billabong wrote:
Rlb wrote:

To do this just look from the front so you are looking at the sides with the holes. You know you will need a new bar if you see a belly under the bar pointing toward the wood or whatever you have it mounted on.
Good luck!

This is very obvious in M0DiFiEDZ new YouTube video he released yesterday.

"Installing the New Wicked Edge Ball Joint Arms"

Here is a pic from that.

Good shot, I didn't see the vid but that pictures shows it really well. Like I said check yours before your order!

Re: new arms 2 years 5 days ago #4905

• Billabong
  • Banned
PhilipPasteur wrote:
I filed the INSIDE of the slider to make them fit.

I am not sure how much more we can ask for.

I guess it is good for folks to have a heads up on the issue... just in case. I know that I was a bit disillusioned when I could not install my new arms...

Phil

Phil

The new arms black "slider" must have a tighter tolerance, as the older blue ones work OK with the bulging bar.

It would be natural to think the new slider was the cause, as they appeared to introduce the problem.

I feel sorry for Clay, as he is trying to release a new model, but also trying to keep an upgrade option available for existing owners.

I see there seems to be some variation with the arm holes in the stones which was also fine with the earlier (thinner) arms, but now the newer thicker arms don't fit in some.
So another problem is introduced and not an easy fix, as many stones are already out there.

I will adapt a slightly larger diameter arm and thread it to fit the joint.
Then drill all my stones to an exact fit.

edit - But that's just me being pedantic. ;)
I'm sure a light ream would fix any stone that is tight?
Last Edit: 2 years 5 days ago by Billabong.

Re: new arms 2 years 5 days ago #4911

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
[quote="Billabong" post=4905
I see there seems to be some variation with the arm holes in the stones which was also fine with the earlier (thinner) arms, but now the newer thicker arms don't fit in some.
So another problem is introduced and not an easy fix, as many stones are already out there.[/quote]

Just curious, where did this come from? I read it last night and just had to know. I got out every one of my 34 individual paddles and tried them on the new arms (both sides just to be sure). I did not find any to be too tight. I know that this is a small sample, but they have been purchased at various time over more than 1.5 years.

Do you have the new arms now? Actually have paddles that are too tight or bind on the new arms?

Again, just curious, as I had not heard this talked about before now.

Phil
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!

Re: new arms 2 years 5 days ago #4915

• Billabong
  • Banned
Hi Philip,
I don't have the new arms yet, but have ordered them today.

I have no problem buying any of Wicked Edges products.

If you watched the video I refered to above, then read the comments on that page, you will see where he replies to me about stones not fitting on the "new" arms.

From what you say, it might not be a widespread problem.
I can notice a difference between my stones with a straw over the original arms.
But my comments are not based on that.
Attachments:

Re: new arms 2 years 5 days ago #4916

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 646
The stone holders are created by injection molding and an air piston is used to create the hole. Depending on the cooling rate, there can be some minor expansion/shrinkage of the plastic. The other potential cause are the screws holding the trays to the black plastic piece - if they're over-tightened in production, they can cause the plastic to bulge slightly toward the hole making it tighter. A quick ream with a rat tail file does the trick. It's an issue we hear almost nothing about these days though it used to crop up a few years ago. I've looked at installing a brass sleeve inside each of the handles that fits the rod incredibly closely but still slides smoothly. It turned out to be prohibitively expensive and the performance improvement was minimal.
--Clay Allison
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds