Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: DMT 3 micron stone

Re: DMT 3 micron stone 1 year 2 months ago #12083

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 646
johpe wrote:
Ah ok, so the Micro-Fine fine that you refer to is that the same ceramic stone as the one on the MicroFine ceramic paddle that you already offer?

Yes. I'm just thinking of a new combination for the fine stone w/ the 3um diamonds as a very fast, effective finishing tool for everyday type edges.
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: DMT 3 micron stone 1 year 2 months ago #12092

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 200
wickededge wrote:
johpe wrote:
Yes I'd like to know as well if first option would be similar or equivalent to 1200/1600 diamond plates?

The 3 micron diamond plate would be similar in grit to the 1600 ceramics but works in a very different way. The Micro-Fine fine stone is much finer, especially if lapped.

Clay I'm back to confused? Lapp a diamond plate? Can you please just give me a very brief explanation?
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!

Re: DMT 3 micron stone 1 year 2 months ago #12093

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
The Micro-fine fine stone is a ceramic stone... that's the one he's talking about lapping.

Re: DMT 3 micron stone 1 year 2 months ago #12094

• johpe
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
wickededge wrote:
johpe wrote:
Ah ok, so the Micro-Fine fine that you refer to is that the same ceramic stone as the one on the MicroFine ceramic paddle that you already offer?

Yes. I'm just thinking of a new combination for the fine stone w/ the 3um diamonds as a very fast, effective finishing tool for everyday type edges.

II definitely like the idea but since I already have the microfine paddle my wishful thinking would be a diamond paddle (with both coarse and fine sides) that would fit right in after the current 800/1000 diamonds (because that's where I have the biggest problem getting the scratches away). (maybe it's just me that needs more time/practice with the superfine and microfine ceramics....)

Re: DMT 3 micron stone 1 year 2 months ago #12095

• wickededge
  • Administrator
johpe wrote:
I definitely like the idea but since I already have the microfine paddle my wishful thinking would be a diamond paddle (with both coarse and fine sides) that would fit right in after the current 800/1000 diamonds (because that's where I have the biggest problem getting the scratches away). (maybe it's just me that needs more time/practice with the superfine and microfine ceramics....)

That issue will probably go away on its own as your stones are broken in, especially your 400/600 and 800/1000 stones.
--Clay Allison

Re: DMT 3 micron stone 1 year 1 month ago #12784

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
wickededge wrote:
johpe wrote:

Clay, Just curious if any progress was made with the new stone combo? I guess I'm kinda excited to see the new combo and what you decided on, if anything yet? :unsure:
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!

Re: DMT 3 micron stone 1 year 1 month ago #12789

• wickededge
  • Administrator
EamonMcGowan wrote:
wickededge wrote:
johpe wrote:

Clay, Just curious if any progress was made with the new stone combo? I guess I'm kinda excited to see the new combo and what you decided on, if anything yet? :unsure:

The new 3 micron stones should be shipping to us today or tomorrow. Once we have them in I'll do some sharpening progressions and see how the combo works. I'm thinking it will be great.
--Clay Allison

Re: DMT 3 micron stone 1 year 1 month ago #12790

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
wickededge wrote:
EamonMcGowan wrote:
wickededge wrote:
johpe wrote:

The new 3 micron stones should be shipping to us today or tomorrow. Once we have them in I'll do some sharpening progressions and see how the combo works. I'm thinking it will be great.

Thank you very much sir! Very excited!

DMT 3 micron stone 1 year 1 month ago #12970

• wickededge
  • Administrator
We got the new 3 micron stones in yesterday. I mounted up a pair and started some testing. At first they were pretty coarse and needed breaking in so I gently rubbed them together a few times. Next I sharpened my EDC, just touched it up really, to see how it would change the finish and the cutting ability. I'd had it pretty well polished already from the Micro-Fine stones and a little stropping. After using the fairly new 3 micron stones, the edge was till shiny but not as polished as it was before I started. It cut very aggressively though didn't shave impressively.

Today I started a progression from 800# diamond to 3um diamond and then strops from 3.5um> 1um> .5um on cow leather and then .25um on kangaroo. Under the microscope, there was an obvious difference between the 800# and the 3um diamond plates - just about exactly what you'd expect in terms of scratch size. I wish now that I'd taken an image of the junction between the 800# and 3um bevels to illustrate the difference. I did take photos of the rest of the phases though. Here is the blade after the first sharpening with the 3um plates:

h4b74377.jpg

3um Diamond Stone - 2000x

I measured a fair sample of the scratches under the scope. The largest were just under 3 microns and the average was approximately 1.5 microns which makes sense - you're almost never getting the full diameter of the particle in contact with blade at any given time, usually just a corner or facet.

h98c74b4.jpg

3.5um Diamond and Cow Leather Strops - 2000x. 20 Strokes per side.

h50b9bf7.jpg

3.5um Diamond and Cow Leather Strops - 2000x. 70 Strokes per side.

I lowered the angle by two degrees prior to stropping.
--Clay Allison

DMT 3 micron stone 1 year 1 month ago #12973

• wickededge
  • Administrator
Next I used the fine side of my Micro-Fine stones:

hf56a6d6.jpg

Micro-Fine Fine - 2000x

haf9501d.jpg

Micro-Fine Fine - 2000x

In the image above, you can see the junction between the bevels made by the Micro-Fine fine stones and the .25um diamond strops.
--Clay Allison
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds