Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Sneak Peak

Re: Sneak Peak 1 year 4 months ago #10918

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 649
There is something really important that I forgot to mention right from the outset of this sneak-peak: (cbwx34) was really instrumental in the design. He made the initial mock-up from his old Gatco jaws and brought them up to the office. He deserves a ton of credit for helping to get this going. THANK YOU cbwx34!
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cbwx34

Re: Sneak Peak 1 year 4 months ago #10933

• KenBuzbee
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 110
Kudos Curtis! Score 1 for an assist! ;)

Ken
玉鋼

Re: Sneak Peak 1 year 4 months ago #10957

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 422
Three cheers, many kudos and a hug for Curtis!

I know I'm an impatient guy, Clay, but have you got any idea when you could bring this on the market? (Hoping I don't have to ask the if-question...)

Hurray and cheers again! :)

Re: Sneak Peak 1 year 4 months ago #10992

• TedS
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
Havent signed on to forum for several months and thought "sneak peak" might be about solution for serrated edges. Seems like solution for serrated has been in the works for a long time.

Re: Sneak Peak 1 year 4 months ago #10994

• KenBuzbee
  • Platinum Boarder
TedS wrote:
Havent signed on to forum for several months and thought "sneak peak" might be about solution for serrated edges. Seems like solution for serrated has been in the works for a long time.

Yeah, I've thought about this quite a bit (way before I ever started with my WE ;) )

The problem with a "solution" for serrated is almost all serrated knives have something unique that must be applied to them but causes failure for other serrated patterns. A few examples:

Some serrations are ground perpendicular to the edge. Others are ground perpendicular to the "cut line" or spine. Some fall somewhere in between. A fixed arm/clamped system will only work on the first, and that only with absolutely precisely mounted blades. For the others, the blade would need to travel along the arm mounting point or visa versa.

Serrations are different sizes and shapes. From wide shallow "U"s to deep "U"s to narrow "U"s to all the same variations of "V"s. then you have rounded "points" and apexed "points". You can find any combination of those intermixed together.

There have been several attempts from other companies to address this but none are perfect. DMT has a system of cylindrical and variablely tapered rods. Yes, there is usually a spot on each variable rod that fits most U shaped serrations but any travel on the rod (the sharpening motion) takes you from too narrow to too wide. It fails totally on V shaped serrations. Fixed radius rods work fine on "U"s IF you find a properly sized rod(s) for your serration pattern. Spyderco attempted to solve this by using triangles to create a single point of contact (the apex of the triangle) You work this single point in and out of the various serration shapes. It works (IMO) better than most of the cylindrical solutions but requires a very steady progression to maintain the original pattern. The best solution to date (IMO) is the Spyderco Profile set. Two different variably radiused curves (eg Spirals ;) ) opposing two different V notch angles. I can usually find a place to set these very close to the original serration pattern but the angles have to be held unguided and each serration has to be sharpened individually, ugh ;)

Add to this the wide variety of blade shapes you'll find and the combination quickly becomes overwhelming, especially in the context of a fixed arm system.

This may be the one area I find the floating blade design of the EP actually has an advantage. Yeah, you'd have to constantly adjust the blade against the stone path but it would remove a few of the variables, simplifying the process.

For WE to do this would require a complete redesign, allowing either the blade or the arms to slide relative to one another. No simple solution.

I know Clay is working on this, but just the 5 minutes I took to write down the basic issues gave me a headache ;) I'd hate to be actually working on a solution ;) Of course, if he finds one, I'm interested, but I'm not holding out a huge degree of hope.

Saying "offer a serrated option" sounds simple until you look at what that solution entails. It gets overwhelming very quickly, at least to my mind.

Ken
玉鋼
The following user(s) said Thank You: Razoredge, mark76, PhilipPasteur

Re: Sneak Peak 1 year 4 months ago #11010

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
You mean you guys don't have the serrated sharpener???

IMG_0185.jpg

(Kidding of course). :silly:

I do know the serrated attachment is closer.... because I broke his prototype last time I visited. :whistle:
(Never take me to a china shop.)

(I'll leave it to your imagination to figure out the photo... HINT: has something to do with sharpening, has nothing to do with the WE.)

Great post Ken!

:)
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by cbwx34. Reason: added to hint

Re: Sneak Peak 1 year 4 months ago #11012

• KenBuzbee
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Curtis. I've spent a LOT of time trying various "solutions" for serrated edges (did it show? ;) )

Okay, so what in the world is that thing? Looks like some kind of microscope clamp (or camera?)

Ken
玉鋼
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by KenBuzbee.

Re: Sneak Peak 1 year 4 months ago #11013

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
Clay actually has a concept for serrated edges that I think would work good, but can't get anyone to make the dang thing. But he has a couple of decent alternatives in the works.

I added to the hint... it has something to do with sharpening... but nothing to do with the WE. :)

Re: Sneak Peak 1 year 4 months ago #11018

• KenBuzbee
  • Platinum Boarder
cbwx34 wrote:
Clay actually has a concept for serrated edges that I think would work good, but can't get anyone to make the dang thing. But he has a couple of decent alternatives in the works.

I'd love to see that prototype.
cbwx34 wrote:
I added to the hint... it has something to do with sharpening... but nothing to do with the WE. :)

A CATRA vice! ;)

Ken
玉鋼
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by KenBuzbee.

Re: Sneak Peak 1 year 4 months ago #11023

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
all of those Kudos for helping to design the extension are now erased...
Broke the prototype ?????????????????:evil:
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds