Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Keris Daggers, Kris blades and antique Kris blades

Keris Daggers, Kris blades and antique Kris blades 2 years 2 months ago #3265

Hi Folks, I'm new to the forum and need a bit of advice on using the Wicked Edge to sharpen my collection of Keris Daggers and Antique Kris blade Stiletto's both Damascus steel and high carbon steel blades. The old knives are the real thing with ebony wood panels, Ivory panels, and engraved sterling panels.

In the past I used a ceramic rod to put a somewhat decent edge on these knives, but not a superb edge as I desire. Some of the blade edges have deep nicks which is what I would expect from an old knife that was used (and possibly abused). Most of the blades appear to have been hand forged. The biggest Stiletto (with a freaking long blade of 14.5" and a blood groove cut in the center that almost runs to the tip) has a polished Kris blade which appears to be Solingen steel as the knife appears to be Austrian made around 1910.

It a beautiful knife, but a real bear to sharpen. It appears the knife had one purpose, and it ain't designed to cut Sauerbraten.

Any ideas on how to use the Wicked edge to sharpen Kris blades?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Keris Daggers, Kris blades and antique Kris blades 2 years 2 months ago #3269

so lotsa views, no ideas?

Re: Keris Daggers, Kris blades and antique Kris blades 2 years 1 month ago #3291

• mark76
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 359
Hi Chris,

What sort of ideas are you looking for? Even though they are large knives, sharpening them on the WEPS should be no different than other knives. You will definitely get much better results than with a ceramic rod!

One thing you might want to ask Ken is whether his Japanese stones (see here) also work for bringing out the pattern on Damascus blades.
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by mark76.

Re: Keris Daggers, Kris blades and antique Kris blades 2 years 1 month ago #3295

Kris blades are wavy, my concern is that the acute angle for the bevel changes with a fixed angle sharpening system. While I can set the angle to sharpen the "ridge", that same angle would change when the stone reaches the "valley" on the blade because the width of the blade changes. I suppose I could use the rounded stones and change the angle, but my concern is to get an even polished bevel and edge on both sides of the blade. The old timers used to use round whetstones to sharpen the blades, but the edge and bevel were inconsistent because it was done freehand.

Re: Keris Daggers, Kris blades and antique Kris blades 2 years 1 month ago #3307

• BobNash
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
Hi Chris -
Got an email that someone was looking for help with a Kris blade on the forum - I have sharpened Kris blades (2) on the WE before and can offer some assistance. One was basically a blank and needed the edge created, the other was just dull. I'm really buried right now so can't get into a lot of detail immediately, but didn't want you to keep waiting for someone to offer up something.
Your concern is correct that the angle will vary as the stones ride through the valleys and over the ridges. Depending on the size of the "wave" and it's steepness in the blade this can be a small amount of variance so hardly noticeable, or it can be quite a bit. There are some ways to deal with this, but to get them to match up pretty precisely down the full length of both sides can be very time consuming. Here is the short version: if the wave is large so you are getting noticeably wider bevels at the ridges, you need to work your way down the blade sharpening short sections using the sharpie marker to find the angle and blade position by overlapping the previous section slightly. I found the sections to be: working down the back of the valley and part way up into the ridge, then moving the knife, overlapping with your stones to adjust your angle and working over the top of the ridge and down into the next valley, and so on. I found both of the ones I did easiest to work with my choseras as I could work the corners of the stones so could work through the grits and didn't have parts of the flat stones where I was not in contact with metal. You can work to your finest grit on each section and do all your stropping at the end to further blend everything together.
Hope that maybe gets you started - I'll try to follow up more soon
Have fun!
Bob
Some of the edges I've sharpened on the WE
www.oldawan.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
505-570-2040 (mobile and office)

Re: Keris Daggers, Kris blades and antique Kris blades 2 years 1 month ago #3308

• BobNash
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
PS - sounds like some nice knives - have any pics?
Some of the edges I've sharpened on the WE
www.oldawan.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
505-570-2040 (mobile and office)
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds