Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Symmetrical primary bevel but asymmetrical otherwi

Re: Symmetrical primary bevel but asymmetrical otherwi 9 months 3 weeks ago #12044

• mark76
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 306
Hi Leo,

It's slightly off-topic, but I love your knife! I am considering to get one myself. Last year I was in France, in Thiers, where Gilles (Fontenille-Pataud) has his workshop.

Here is a photograph:

I agree, it's not very sexy ;) . You can see more pictures of my visit to Thiers here: www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=c...rt=10&Itemid=63#1702

I have a question about the knife: how easy is it to open with one hand? And how strong is the lock? It looks pretty small to me.
Last Edit: 9 months 3 weeks ago by mark76.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Symmetrical primary bevel but asymmetrical otherwi 9 months 3 weeks ago #12045

• LeoBarr
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 191
The knife is very easy to open , the lock spring is 3mm thick & The allen key bolt is spaced with thin washers each side of the blade . The pintle which is part the allen key bolt is around 6-7mm in diameter ; there was a little play on the pintle with the blade but I built it up with a little blue painters tape which has eliminated all play maybe some of these fit better on others & I dare say that I may well need to recover the pintle again in the future I may well use plumbers tape if I have to do it again .
The lock I would say is a 2mm pin and is strong enough for the knife.
The knife is slim in the hand and light it is a perfect knife for a Frenchman it will cut sausage and bread very easily .
I have two other knives by Giles two Laguiole 12cm one with Curley Birch handle and a mother of pearl inlay in the fly/bee and Rose damascus the other has a Juniper handle with a straight fly/bee and carbon steel damascus the first one has stainless steel bolsters and the second has unpolished brass bolsters .
They are all great knives I did do a little esthetic cleaning away of glue here and there so they are not necessary perfect but they are beautiful . I shall post the pictures of those in the next reply .

Re: Symmetrical primary bevel but asymmetrical otherwi 9 months 3 weeks ago #12046

• LeoBarr
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
IMG_00023.jpeg

IMG_00026.jpeg
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikedoh

Re: Symmetrical primary bevel but asymmetrical otherwi 9 months 3 weeks ago #12128

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
Very interesting looking knives.
Very. Could they be ordered from the US??
Any idea of the cost?

THX

Phil
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!

Re: Symmetrical primary bevel but asymmetrical otherwi 9 months 3 weeks ago #12131

• Mikedoh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 83
I've ordered direct from him (Gilles). Shipping gets expensive from France.

www.fontenille-pataud.com/indexuk.php

And World Knife has other French knives.

www.worldknives.com/

Hope that helps
The following user(s) said Thank You: PhilipPasteur

Re: Symmetrical primary bevel but asymmetrical otherwi 9 months 3 weeks ago #12139

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
Yes Mike..

It does..
THX
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!

Re: Symmetrical primary bevel but asymmetrical otherwi 9 months 3 weeks ago #12141

• LeoBarr
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Use the link Mikedoh gives here is his email <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. > look at the website first he has two the other is www.capuchadou.fr these knives are the predecessors of the Laguiole knives.
Since all knives are customisable especially the more exotic configurations it can take a while before they are dispatched.
Both his websites are engrossing . He also links a respected friends web site www.graveline-couteliers.com/spip.php?lang=en.
Another source of French knives including one of the best makers of Sabatier is SabatierK they sell carbon steel knives which are unused from the 50s & 60s www.sabatier-k.com they also sell a wide range of knives from French makers.
You may also like www.perceval-knives.co.uk these are very fine French knives.
Lastly I found a Mallorcean knife maker of note all his knives are hand made in house there are no prices - POA his site is worth a look if only to feast you eyes www.2gknives.com/index.php/en/.
The last sites I would mention although not French but Japanese are japanesechefsknife.com www.japaneseknifedirect.com/products.html and lastly www.rockstead.jp/collection/detail.html?id=

All these sites are worth looking at since many have exquisite knives probable beyond reach but when you have time well worth a look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PhilipPasteur, Mikedoh
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds