• Page:

TOPIC: Symmetrical primary bevel but asymmetrical otherwi

Symmetrical primary bevel but asymmetrical otherwi 1 year 4 months ago #11908

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 241
IMG_00019.jpeg

IMG_00020.jpeg

This knife is pretty sharp having con-vexed the the edges on a mouse pad with sand paper up to 3000 grit but when I get the WE (it has to come to Spain so it could be a while)will it be just a question of putting foam tape on the engraved side of the blade so that I can perhaps refine the edge further with the Chosera 5000-10000 .
The knife if anyone wishes to know is a full damascus Le Thiers Ebony made by Gilles Fontenille Pataud.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: EamonMcGowan

Re: Symmetrical primary bevel but asymmetrical otherwi 1 year 4 months ago #11911

• EamonMcGowan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 200
Hi Leo, Welcome to the WEPS crew. That is a beautiful knife! I have one I want and have been putting off ordering for sometime from that neck of the woods. I love the lines and the way it flows. What a great knife!
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: LeoBarr

Re: Symmetrical primary bevel but asymmetrical otherwi 1 year 4 months ago #11915

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
I made a case for it so I can wear it on a belt .
Gilles makes some very attractive knives .
photo_2013-06-16-2.JPG

photocopy.JPG
The following user(s) said Thank You: EamonMcGowan

Re: Symmetrical primary bevel but asymmetrical otherwi 1 year 4 months ago #11921

• EamonMcGowan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Well done. I really like the whole package.
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: LeoBarr

Re: Symmetrical primary bevel but asymmetrical otherwi 1 year 4 months ago #11930

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
LeoBarr wrote:
This knife is pretty sharp having con-vexed the the edges on a mouse pad with sand paper up to 3000 grit but when I get the WE (it has to come to Spain so it could be a while)will it be just a question of putting foam tape on the engraved side of the blade so that I can perhaps refine the edge further with the Chosera 5000-10000 .
The knife if anyone wishes to know is a full damascus Le Thiers Ebony made by Gilles Fontenille Pataud.

Nice knife! :woohoo:

I'm not sure I understand your question (at least the part about putting foam tape on the engraved side), so this may not be what you're looking for. You can create/maintain a convex edge on the WE by sharpening in "steps" usually one or two degrees, then smooth the bevels out with leather. So you could maintain what you have now with the leather strops on the WE.

Personally, if I wanted to use Choseras on the WE on that knife, I would just sharpen it with the Choseras, and maintain it that way. Think you would find it a hard to beat edge.

Re: Symmetrical primary bevel but asymmetrical otherwi 1 year 4 months ago #11940

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
The knife is not symmetrical as far as the main grind is concerned the side with the etched makers name has a deeper grind from the spine to the edge than the backside.
I convex sharpened it on a mouse pad with various grades of sand paper then stropped it but I imagine I could improve the edge further on the WE which points the question of how to clamp it in such a way as to enable fine finishing with the Choseras.

Re: Symmetrical primary bevel but asymmetrical otherwi 1 year 4 months ago #11943

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
I think I see what you're saying now... but since each side of the WE is set independent, I don't think you have to do anything special to clamp it... you'll just have to set each angle independently adjusting for the offset, just by matching what you now have on the knife?

If that's not it, just say so... someone will be along to help I'm sure.

Re: Symmetrical primary bevel but asymmetrical otherwi 1 year 4 months ago #11944

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
Thank you that what I needed to know not having the WE yet it did not occur to me that that the angles can be tuned independently on each side.
What about been able to increase the bevel angle towards the handle this I imagine would necessitate raising the tip and dropping the handle end if I am understanding the geometry correctly ?

Re: Symmetrical primary bevel but asymmetrical otherwi 1 year 4 months ago #11945

• EamonMcGowan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
LeoBarr wrote:
I convex sharpened it on a mouse pad with various grades of sand paper then stropped it but I imagine I could improve the edge further on the WE which points the question of how to clamp it in such a way as to enable fine finishing with the Choseras.

As far clamping goes? Recently the guys suggested using a piece of chamois. I cut a 1" square and then a 1/2" square to hold the FFG and fancy blades and have been very satisfied with it. I have never attempted a convex grind with my choseras? So I can not comment, but it sounds like a really cool idea when finished. Seems like it would really take sometime to get it just right? Mirror, shape,...

Re: Symmetrical primary bevel but asymmetrical otherwi 1 year 4 months ago #11962

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
Looking carefully at the knife when closed it is obvious why the blade is ground asymmetrically since the whole blade is visible when closed the edge is close to the handle of the knife so that it is hard to catch the edge of the blade in this position so it is almost a chisel grind but with two bevels.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds