Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Spyderco Southard - What am I doing wrong?

Re: Spyderco Southard - What am I doing wrong? 1 year 2 months ago #11482

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
I don't find that I can get significantly more acute angles with the new ball joint arms and vise riser.

Can anyone else comment?
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Spyderco Southard - What am I doing wrong? 1 year 2 months ago #11483

• AlanBzdel
  • Fresh Boarder
Interesting. I thought there was an ability to go to 13 degrees per side with the new arms and riser.

Re: Spyderco Southard - What am I doing wrong? 1 year 2 months ago #11484

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
Check the thread where Clay introduced the prototype vise low angle extension. Some of the testers compared the most acute angle that they could get with the current PPII setup with those with the extension.
With on particular small knife I could only get around 14 degrees with the extension. Of course the greater the distance from the spine to the edge, the more acute an angle can be achieved...

Anyway, take a look there are several examples of only around 14 degrees available with the PPII riser.
Now if you chuck up a 2.5 inch cleaver, you can go a lot lower.

That is why I asked for comments. I can't remember all of the comments on minimum angle that were posted when the PPII came out. I think 13 degrees would be a special case of a pretty wide (tall in the vise) blade.

To be honest, I never have paid much attention. I don't think I have anything in a steel that would really support a relatively hard use edge at much under 15 degrees. I do have quite a selection of different steels...I have not sharpened any of the rare super hard super expensive Japanese blades.

I would not even worry about 13 degrees with S30V or the like...

EDIT:
Here is the thread:
www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=c...itstart=60&Itemid=63

It looks like Ken hit 12.2 on one knife with the riser. Others, not nearly that... not sure why.
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
I miss you Buddy!
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by PhilipPasteur.

Re: Spyderco Southard - What am I doing wrong? 1 year 2 months ago #11485

• AlanBzdel
  • Fresh Boarder
I wasn't able to get under 18 degrees (as per the angle gauge) with this particular blade. I think the steel on this one is capable of taking a 15 degree edge quite easily. (CTS 204P)
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by AlanBzdel.

Re: Spyderco Southard - What am I doing wrong? 1 year 2 months ago #11492

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
AlanBzdel wrote:
I wasn't able to get under 18 degrees (as per the angle gauge) with this particular blade. I think the steel on this one is capable of taking a 15 degree edge quite easily. (CTS 204P)

I don't have that knife (and don't have the original arms set up right now), but on an Endura clamped in (top holes, tip at A.5), with the upgrade setup, I can hit 15 deg. per side. Would have to play around a bit, if I wanted to go lower.

18 seems a bit high, even with the original arms, but not having them set up right now, maybe I'm missing something.

You can go a bit lower by raising the knife in the clamp... again just keep track of how you set it up.

Re: Spyderco Southard - What am I doing wrong? 1 year 2 months ago #11495

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
18 degrees does seem high. I have had the ball joint arms and riser mounted up for quite awhile and don't have immediate access to my log, but am pretty sure that I sharpened many knives at less than that. 17 degrees was a pretty common number. I have a Southard, I will have to put it in the vise and see what the new setup gives me...
As Curtis points out, the higher you mount the knife the more acute an angle can be achieved.

I bought the Southard specifically so I could have an example of the CTS 204P. I have not yet sharpened it. I had it in mind to use 17 to 18 degrees on it when I do.
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
I miss you Buddy!

Re: Spyderco Southard - What am I doing wrong? 1 year 2 months ago #11497

• Sauce
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
I sharpened a Wusthof Santoku at 13 degrees per side with no problems. The knife is a high carbon steel blade and is approx. 1.75"wide(tall). I initially mounted in the vice and tested the lowest angle I could achieve cleanly and found it could be 12 degrees per side. I did not like the way the tip would've come out so I went up to 13. Turned out beautiful. Sharper than heck. I did some research before hand with the manufacturer and found the factory grind is 11 degrees per side, which could not be duplicated with my set up (PPII). I am quite pleased with 13 per side.

Sauce

Re: Spyderco Southard - What am I doing wrong? 11 months 1 week ago #14066

• Sauce
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Phillip, have you sharpened your Southard yet? If so, what settings, angle etc. did you use. Need to sharpen mine and looking for tips. Want to get this one right.

Thanks,
Sauce

Re: Spyderco Southard - What am I doing wrong? 11 months 1 week ago #14068

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
Sauce,
Nope. It is still in the box unused and unsharpened. A shame in one way ... I like to use my knives. Good in another, it hasn't depreciated in value as much.
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
I miss you Buddy!

Re: Spyderco Southard - What am I doing wrong? 11 months 5 days ago #14111

• FedWayJohn
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
PhilipPasteur wrote:
I don't find that I can get significantly more acute angles with the new ball joint arms and vise riser.

Can anyone else comment?

I've found the same thing.
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds