Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Steeling and Stropping Finished Edges

Re: Steeling and Stropping Finished Edges 1 year 9 months ago #6769

• Geocyclist
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 156
For steeling everyone will say don't go for speed like you on TV shows. In fact don't ever go for speed, you just can't get the angle correct.

To start hold the point down on a cutting board, at 180 degrees. This makes it easier to see the angle of the knife.

After that it is like free hand sharpening, you learn to feel when the edge bites into the steel. I try to go shallower and then increase the angle. Before I steel I check to see if an edge is rolled to one side or the other. After steeling I check that the edge is straighten up. At first the factory edge was so fine that I would roll the edge from side to side. Eventually I learned to get the angle correct and use less pressure. Normally 1-2 good strokes you can feel the rolled edge and after after a stroke or two you can feel the difference, less bite into the steel.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Steeling and Stropping Finished Edges 1 year 9 months ago #6776

• Razoredge
  • Senior Boarder
  • Cutthroat Sharpening
  • Thank you received: 8
My take is pretty much the same as Geocyclist. Except that when working on the line your steel was chained around your waist so I do it horizontally. Using almost zero pressure you can feel the rolled edge. When I see people steeling with a big show of flair and the clickity-clack noise I just cringe. If you can hear the blade making contact with the steel you're doing it wrong.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds