Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: So the sharpening direction DOES matter!

Re: So the sharpening direction DOES matter! 2 years 1 month ago #4151

• glenewertz
  • Fresh Boarder
"I thought this comment from Cliff Stamp might be of interest (posted here with permission..)

"The earliest I can remember this being discussed was on rec.knives in 96/98 as Mike Swaim was regrinding edges to lower angles and leaving them with very low grit finishes both stones and even files. It became obvious then that the knife was acting just like a saw in that you could easily see the influence of the rake of the teeth both in terms of edge aggression and in edge retention. The lower the grit finish the more pronounced this effect can be seen. As the grit raises dramatically this disappears as once you get into the micron level finish there is little slicing aggression anyway it has to be a pure push cut. The simplest way to think on it is to think of it like a saw and just use a 3.5 tpi saw and a 12 tpi saw and now imagine a one million tpi saw (that would be a micron level finish)."

Totally agree, I have adopted the push cut method and don't think there could be a device more suited to directional bias than the WEPS. The higher the edge refinement the less the effect.
Japanese style bolsterless knives intimidated me until I started push cuting, then it made perfect sense.

Glen
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by glenewertz.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: So the sharpening direction DOES matter! 2 years 1 month ago #4348

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
Check out this video (starting around the 5 min. mark relates to this thread)...

Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by cbwx34.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds