Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How to go more Obtuse?

Re: How to go more Obtuse? 1 year 4 months ago #11305

• Geocyclist
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 161
First, thanks to all for the good feedback.

In the 3 months since first posting here is a short update. On several occasions I felt a super fine burr on the edge, usually right in the belly. Hand stropping fixed this. Last week I found a chip in the belly, about the size of pre-ground pepper. It looked like dirt on the edge, but looking at it close up (without magnification) you can tell it's a chip. I think I have exceeded the capabilities of the this steel. By the way, when I noticed the chip I had cut nothing all day. So no idea where it came from. I have EDC'ed this knife about 50% of the time the last 3 months and hand stropped about 8 times for touch ups. It is still razor sharp.

In the end the bevel looks too sever for my taste. I think I will go to 17.5 degrees per side (down from 15). This will hopefully accomplish 3 goals for me. 1. To get a more durable edge, but still acute. 2. See how the 17.5 looks on the 940. I have some nicer 940's I have not sharpened until I know for sure what angle I want. 3. I want to get a more even bevel tip to heel, so i will move the tip further back when I do full re-sharpening.

My question for you guys is this: How much more obtuse do you need to go to see a difference both in looks and in edge durability? I.e., if I was at 15 deg per side (V grind) would I see a noticeable different at +1 or +2, degrees per side ..... Assume I don't micro bevel and completely regrind a new V grind again.

As this on is a heavy EDC user, I probably will try a micro bevel first along the way to a full regrind at a more obtuse angle. I have not done a micro yet, and this is a good one to experiment on.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cbwx34

Re: How to go more Obtuse? 1 year 4 months ago #11310

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
Geocyclist wrote:
On several occasions I felt a super fine burr on the edge, usually right in the belly. Hand stropping fixed this. Last week I found a chip in the belly... when I noticed the chip I had cut nothing all day. So no idea where it came from...

Thanks for the update.

I believe there's a few clues in the statements I pulled from your post. Your burr / chip issue is most likely related. My experience... if I have a burr, and get rid of it, only to have it reappear, it means I never got rid of it to begin with. S30V can be hard to debur at times, and the steel is good enough to have a burr but you think you have a great edge, until the burr reappears. Stropping alone, often won't deburr it. Do an internet search on: S30V burr chipping, and you'll find a ton of information. When S30V started being used a lot... chipping was often reported, and many times, it was related to having a burr or wire edge.

If edge durability is your primary reason for wanting to resharpen at a higher angle, I'd first consider addressing the burr issue, otherwise, you may still see it at the higher angle. A microbevel may take care of it... but it may lead you to believe that the steel "couldn't handle" 15 deg., which could be a false conclusion.
Geocyclist wrote:
My question for you guys is this: How much more obtuse do you need to go to see a difference both in looks and in edge durability? I.e., if I was at 15 deg per side (V grind) would I see a noticeable different at +1 or +2, degrees per side ..... Assume I don't micro bevel and completely regrind a new V grind again.

If an edge is really having a durability issue, it may take a change of 4-5 deg. (per side), to see a difference. But again, I don't think this is the case. You can see a difference with a microbevel at 2 deg. increase per side... in part because it will often "clean up" any burr or wire edge, and leave a good clean edge to work with. Can't really answer the question of how it will change the look.

Keep us posted... interesting info!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds