Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Micro Bevels

Re:Micro Bevels 3 months 2 weeks ago #17296

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 237
IMG_1786.jpg

That I could not say I think that many of these tweaks that can be done are down to the individual. I think once you get to a certain level with Japanese knives it is taken for granted that you may thin it make the edge on a double bevel knife something other than 50-50 add more of a convex to it or add micro bevels( I believe that some of the best knives are virtually blunt OOTB since the individual will have their own preferences for the edge . The most complicated are the Debas since he suggests and ~I have done it on mine that the last 1/4-1/3 near the handle is given a double bevel where as most Debas are single bevel knives his reasoning for this is for separating vertebrae the edge is stronger for the straight arm body push through the neck or spine of the fish so the Deba will have a secondary bevel with a single sided primary bevel with a micro bevel then further back a double or if you like a V bevel with the uraoshi sharpening on the Uri so the Deba becomes multi faceted having 6 different angles on it .

Ps I would like to see a picture of you Inox Honyaki .
My top two knives currently are a blue steel Honyaki Nakiri and a Takeda Petty.
My honyaki is about the cheapest I could find but it gets better every time I sharpen it since I decided I needed to thin it to begin with then I put too high a convex edge on it so I am currently trying to loose that with each sharpening so that there is virtually no secondary bevel like a Takeda I think I have about two or three more sharpenings to achieve this still I will be patient with this since it takes a lot of work to sharpen as the secondary bevel accounts for 1/3rd of the blade and the blue steel is very tough so the last time I sharpened it a week or two ago I spent about an hour on the secondary.

The dots on the primary are not chips they are probable small bits of cardboard from the box since it has Camellia Oil on it so it picks up all sorts.
Last Edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by LeoBarr.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Micro Bevels 3 months 2 weeks ago #17298

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 375
Leo, no close up at hand, but the Suisin is the third one from the right. And the yanagiba is a Takeda.

Last Edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by mark76.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LeoBarr

Re:Micro Bevels 3 months 2 weeks ago #17300

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
What a fabulous collection the Honyakis and Takeda almost feel organic to me.
I like the look of that petty next to your honyaki . That also looks like a Tojillo bread knife which by all accounts has nice wavy serrations that Ken Shultz sharpens on the edge of a bench stone . If it is a Tojillo & how did you get it? I note that CKTG are not allowed to ship them out of USA.

Re:Micro Bevels 3 months 2 weeks ago #17302

• mark76
  • Administrator
LeoBarr wrote:
If it is a Tojillo & how did you get it? I note that CKTG are not allowed to ship them out of USA.

Well, if you ask them nicely... ;-)

It is a great bread knife that lives up to all expectations. Hardly any crumbs, which is really surprising. A butt-ugly handle, though. I'm looking to have it rehandled. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Last Edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by mark76.

Re:Micro Bevels 3 months 2 weeks ago #17303

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
And whats the petty with the white ferrule on the handle it looks interesting.
I would look on KKF for people that do handles.

Micro Bevels 3 months 2 weeks ago #17306

• mark76
  • Administrator
The petty with the white ferrule is a 15 cm Konosuke. HH steel. The one to its right is also a Konosuke, HD steel.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds