Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sharpening Stellite 6K

Re: Sharpening Stellite 6K 1 year 5 months ago #8994

• Allgonquin
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
Just noticed this thread regarding stellite. One of the main uses of stellite is for the exhaust valves of medium speed and slow speed diesel engines which use heavy fuel oil (HFO). HFO, aka Bunker C or No. 6 Oil, is usually high sulfur, high vanadium and high sodium, all of which contribute, especially at the high temperatures where exhaust valves live, to corrosion on the valves. Stellite valves live much longer.

I did not know there were any knifes which used it - thanks for the info!

Rgds,
Allgonquin

Objects in closer are mirror than they appear
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Sharpening Stellite 6K 1 year 5 months ago #8996

• WayneReimer
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
There are actually a few mid-to-high end custom knife makers that use stellite, but Tom Mayo is sort of the
unofficial "King" of stellite. He's used it for well over a decade; not exclusively of course...what I've seen of his work, he tends to reserve 6K for his higher end knives ( bearing in mind that Toms knives have a minimum "price of admission" of around $1000.)

Many makers have avoided it for the same reasons that make it such a durable blade; it's incredibly hard to work with. It eats belts and tooling, so if course that translates into greater aggravation, harder work, increased overhead and higher prices. The last couple of years there seems to be a bit of a surge in interest in it again.

I doubt we'll ever see material like this make it's way into production knives when the cost of a finished 6K blade alone is regularly valued at $300. or more. It is pretty cool stuff though...I'm very grateful that I've been lucky enough to acquire a knife made with it, particularly one made by the good Mr. Mayo

Re: Sharpening Stellite 6K 1 year 3 months ago #10301

• DennisHibar
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Glad I found this thread! I must have missed it or forgot about it. Just purchased the only 6K that Les Voorhies ever made (word has it that he went through so many belts making the knife, he decided not to use it again!!). Knew that Stellite 6K was a challenge to sharpen .... this thread will certainly help if I find it needs sharpening. Should be here next week. Here's a pic (gee, feel like a proud dad showing off pics of a new child!!):

My knives (updated 7/20/2014)
Dennis in PA
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by DennisHibar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds