Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Leading or Trailing Strokes

Re: Leading or Trailing Strokes 1 year 9 months ago #8014

• Geocyclist
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 161
Thanks Clay, nice photos. Please expand on your explanation.

Here is what I see, but not sure I am interpreting the photos correctly.

The edge trailing edge looks much crisper. However, the edge leading edge looks "dark" . Is this the edge of the just lighting in the photo.

Looks like the edge is nearly gone after cutting cardboard.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Leading or Trailing Strokes 1 year 9 months ago #8015

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 649
I'm trying to understand it as well, but it looks like there is some folding or blunting of the edge with the edge-leading blade. I was careful to use very light pressure, so I don't think it's coming from heavy handedness. I'll have to redo that blade and triple check my angles etc... to rule out any inconsistency of the sharpening angle. The edge does look fairly well obliterated after the cardboard, but I'll want to repeat that process to verify.
--Clay Allison

Re: Leading or Trailing Strokes 1 year 9 months ago #8016

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
Nice pics!!!

Another factor you might consider is to have someone else do the sharpening... I'm thinking maybe someone who is familiar with the WE, but doesn't have a lot of experience on it... might show a different perspective. The sharpener is a factor in the equation after all....

He or she also could not tell you which is which ahead of time... help eliminate a potential bias...

Just a thought! :)

Re: Leading or Trailing Strokes 1 year 9 months ago #8017

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 649
cbwx34 wrote:
Nice pics!!!

Another factor you might consider is to have someone else do the sharpening... I'm thinking maybe someone who is familiar with the WE, but doesn't have a lot of experience on it... might show a different perspective. The sharpener is a factor in the equation after all....

He or she also could not tell you which is which ahead of time... help eliminate a potential bias...

Just a thought! :)

Are you volunteering? :)
--Clay Allison

Re: Leading or Trailing Strokes 1 year 9 months ago #8018

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
No... (I actually was going to put that in the post). :) I'm thinking someone that may not be biased one way or the other (I think I might be, although I try and keep an open mind)... one reason I thought someone relatively new to sharpening might be a good candidate.

Re: Leading or Trailing Strokes 1 year 9 months ago #8019

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
cbwx34 wrote:
No... (I actually was going to put that in the post). :) I'm thinking someone that may not be biased one way or the other (I think I might be, although I try and keep an open mind)... one reason I thought someone relatively new to sharpening might be a good candidate.

I would think that consistency would be critical in drawing any conclusions. Someone with less experiece may not be able to provide that.

I am curious though. Clay is doing this to answer a question posed. I think he is trying to be unbiased until he has some evidence one way or another. Of course there might possibly be sub-concious biases at work. I just don't think that this is very likely.

I would guess that a double blind test where the person sharpening did not know the orientation of the blade including placebo blades, or where we would just throw out a random number of blades and photgraph the others.. would be the best way to go... Of course we would need many operators so we could make this statistically sound...:evil:
:)

Not sure how to design that ... or if it would be worth the effort.

Phil
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cbwx34
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds