Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Leading or Trailing Strokes

Re: Leading or Trailing Strokes 1 year 7 months ago #7936

• Geocyclist
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 135
Thanks Phil,

I understand the coordination thing myself. I started out thinking I should go with edge trailing since I have to use it for stropping it would improve my coordination for stropping and help eliminate nicking the strops. But then I started wondering if there was any advantage or disadvantage to either direction.

I was wondering if there was any negative result with edge leading that caused people to avoid it, such as leaving a burr or wire edge.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Leading or Trailing Strokes 1 year 7 months ago #7939

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 410
Geocyclist wrote:
cbwx34, why do you not do edge leading with coarse stones?

I noticed an improvement on my last knife by doing both heel to tip and tip to heel, finishing each stone with tip to heel. I can feel/tell I am working the scratches out. The sharpness was better also.

For a re-profile I do scrubbing strokes to get a burr with 100# stones. Then from there its alternating strokes.

I don't think it matters alot, but I feel it leaves a better edge for the finer stones, not having really coarse particles running into the edge. On the finer stones, it doesn't seem to make as much difference. I probably should have said "rarely" not "never" and added a bit more... for example if trying to do a re-profile, some major work or repair, scrubbing up and down is a good method.

Re: Leading or Trailing Strokes 1 year 7 months ago #7941

• Jet B
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
This is an interesting topic.

I've recently been reading some stuff on the Spyderco forum where Cliff Stamp was really speaking against any kind of trailing edge strokes and also stropping in general. He was saying something about stropping and edge trailing strokes just push the metal back and forth and fatigue the edge causing a loss in edge retention. This confused me because from my own limited experience, I seem to have better edge retention since getting my WEPS and adding stropping to the finishing step in my sharpening routine.

It's sometimes hard to sift out the truth when so many seemingly experienced knife people can have directly opposing viewpoints on how to achieve the best edge...

Re: Leading or Trailing Strokes 1 year 7 months ago #7942

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 598
Jet B wrote:
It's sometimes hard to sift out the truth when so many seemingly experienced knife people can have directly opposing viewpoints on how to achieve the best edge...

Ain't that the truth! Most of the knowledge base in the field is based on anecdote, which doesn't mean it's necessarily incorrect, but a lot of it has not been tested rigorously with controlled variables.
--Clay Allison

Re: Leading or Trailing Strokes 1 year 7 months ago #7943

• Geocyclist
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 135
Calling Clay.......

I read the entire post here. Sound like edge trailing creates a better edge (as in smoother), by using very light pressure the "burr" or slop on the bevel is minimized. Using strops this is cleaned up. Is it accurate to say the better edge comes from edge trailing?

Re: Leading or Trailing Strokes 1 year 7 months ago #7944

• Jet B
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
wickededge wrote:
Jet B wrote:

Ain't that the truth! Most of the knowledge base in the field is based on anecdote, which doesn't mean it's necessarily incorrect, but a lot of it has not been tested rigorously with controlled variables.

I like how you experiment and post pictures like this Clay. It really helps sift things out. ;)
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds