Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Leading or Trailing Strokes

Re: Leading or Trailing Strokes 1 year 11 months ago #4688

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 610
cbwx34 wrote:
wickededge wrote:
Clearly a big burr (you know, about 4 microns or something :) ) was formed.

Haha... I do forget the magnification we're looking at these sometimes...

I'm looking at them this a.m. on a big screen tv. (god bless modern technology). :)

Now I'm wondering if it's possible, to take a shot of the edge looking straight down... to see if that shows any differences between the edge trailing vs. edge leading edges?

Funny you should mention that - I was just working on it this morning and modified my jig to allow the blade to sit up vertically under the scope. It's hard to find the edge but once I do, I can focus on it fairly well. I did some measurements and got and edge thickness of between .45um and .29um with the Mirco-Fine .6 stones at 28 degrees.
--Clay Allison
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by wickededge.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: razoredgeknives

Re: Leading or Trailing Strokes 1 year 11 months ago #4689

• RalphHoneycutt
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Clay, What angle did you use to clean up the edge with the 'roo and then what angle did you use with the 0.6um micro-fine ceramics?

Thanks,

Ralph

Re: Leading or Trailing Strokes 1 year 11 months ago #4690

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 308
wickededge wrote:
cbwx34 wrote:
wickededge wrote:
Clearly a big burr (you know, about 4 microns or something :) ) was formed.

Haha... I do forget the magnification we're looking at these sometimes...

I'm looking at them this a.m. on a big screen tv. (god bless modern technology). :)

Now I'm wondering if it's possible, to take a shot of the edge looking straight down... to see if that shows any differences between the edge trailing vs. edge leading edges?

I've been waiting for this for a while! Thanks so much Clay! Can'twait to see different results :-)
Funny you should mention that - I was just working on it this morning and modified my jig to allow the blade to sit up vertically under the scope. It's hard to find the edge but once I do, I can focus on it fairly well. I did some measurements and got and edge thickness of between .45um and .29um with the Mirco-Fine .6 stones at 28 degrees.

Re: Leading or Trailing Strokes 1 year 11 months ago #4691

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
wickededge wrote:

Cool. These would be interesting to see as well.

It might be worth mentioning... this may be old news to those who have been involved in sharpening for a while, but if you're new you might not know this... that there is some debate over which method leaves a better edge, trailing or leading. There is differences in the type of burr formed, how the burr is removed and the edge it leaves, whether or not edge leading "smashes" the edge into the abrasive particles preventing it from ever getting sharp, and other factors. Many sharpeners base their whole method on these ideas, and while most seem to make common sense (on either side of the issue), little has been done to actually prove or disprove the "facts". So, while it's hard to draw conclusions from just a few photos, over time, this could prove to be very beneficial. B)

Re: Leading or Trailing Strokes 1 year 11 months ago #4692

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 610
Hey Ralph,

I have the sharpener set at 25 degrees for the .6um and 30 for the for the roo strops.
RalphHoneycutt wrote:
Clay, What angle did you use to clean up the edge with the 'roo and then what angle did you use with the 0.6um micro-fine ceramics?

Thanks,

Ralph
--Clay Allison

Re: Leading or Trailing Strokes 1 year 11 months ago #4693

• RalphHoneycutt
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Clay, For some reason I was expecting the opposite. With the roo strops at 30 deg, would it not roll the edge over? ... and with the 0.6um at 25 deg, I would have expected it to cut somewhere on the shoulder and not the edge. I think I am missing something.

Thanks,

Ralph
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds