Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: The 2nd best tool to get....

Re: The 2nd best tool to get.... 2 years 2 months ago #4108

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
Not to be picky, but are not the "star" bits actually called Torx bits.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx

If you go to a store asking for bits, they may know what you want if you ask for star bits, but a real tools store guy will definitely know Torx.

Just tryint to be helpful here, really!
Phil
cbwx34 wrote:

Many folding knives use Star Bits, and while some knife manufacturers sell a tool set, you can pick one up at your local hardware store, for under $10. Here's an example...

StarBitSet.jpeg

Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: The 2nd best tool to get.... 2 years 2 months ago #4116

• holymolar
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
Along this same line:

If you run into a torx screw that is stuck, do you know any tricks to loosen it?

I like to disassemble/reassemble some of my knives but I have a couple of knives (Kershaw OSO Sweet, Byrd Cara Cara) with stuck screws that I may have to send back to the companies. I'll do that as a last resort but I don't like to feel defeated. I've tried loosen them with TuffGlide, WD40, PB Blaster, and even banging on the bit with a hammer. I've rounded off Torx bits as well as the screws trying to loosen them. I've tried using T7 bits in T6 screws. I have something called Micro-Grabit that is a screw/bolt extractor but I'm hesitating using it because it will distroy the screws and I'm not sure if I can get replacements.

The knife companies probably run into this problem often when they repair their knives. They must know how to deal with those badly stuck screws.

Anyone have other suggestions that have worked for you?
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by holymolar.

Re: The 2nd best tool to get.... 2 years 2 months ago #4118

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
If they have loctite on them... heat is the only thing I know that will loosen it... if you can't otherwise break the bond.

Kershaw will send you screws. Go to www.kershawknives.com/contactus.php?brand=kershaw where it says "Subject" open the drop down box and click Warranty Service... some boxes will appear asking for your address, the model of the knife, and the parts you need... fill it out and just wait a couple of weeks, and they'll show up!

Re: The 2nd best tool to get.... 2 years 2 months ago #4119

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
PhilipPasteur wrote:
Not to be picky, but are not the "star" bits actually called Torx bits.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx

If you go to a store asking for bits, they may know what you want if you ask for star bits, but a real tools store guy will definitely know Torx.

Just tryint to be helpful here, really!
Phil

They're sold under both... but good point!!

Re: The 2nd best tool to get.... 2 years 2 months ago #4146

• holymolar
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
holymolar wrote:
Along this same line:

If you run into a torx screw that is stuck, do you know any tricks to loosen it?

I like to disassemble/reassemble some of my knives but I have a couple of knives (Kershaw OSO Sweet, Byrd Cara Cara) with stuck screws that I may have to send back to the companies. I'll do that as a last resort but I don't like to feel defeated. I've tried loosen them with TuffGlide, WD40, PB Blaster, and even banging on the bit with a hammer. I've rounded off Torx bits as well as the screws trying to loosen them. I've tried using T7 bits in T6 screws. I have something called Micro-Grabit that is a screw/bolt extractor but I'm hesitating using it because it will distroy the screws and I'm not sure if I can get replacements.

The knife companies probably run into this problem often when they repair their knives. They must know how to deal with those badly stuck screws.

Anyone have other suggestions that have worked for you?

Here's how I finally got those stubborn torx screws out. I used a dremel to carefully cut a slot in the head of the screws and used a plain screwdriver to unscrew them.

Here's one of the T6 torx screws (on the right) compared to untouched torx screws:

I'll post this on BladeForums too.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds