• Page:

TOPIC: The 2nd best tool to get....

Re: The 2nd best tool to get.... 2 years 1 month ago #4146

• holymolar
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
holymolar wrote:
Along this same line:

If you run into a torx screw that is stuck, do you know any tricks to loosen it?

I like to disassemble/reassemble some of my knives but I have a couple of knives (Kershaw OSO Sweet, Byrd Cara Cara) with stuck screws that I may have to send back to the companies. I'll do that as a last resort but I don't like to feel defeated. I've tried loosen them with TuffGlide, WD40, PB Blaster, and even banging on the bit with a hammer. I've rounded off Torx bits as well as the screws trying to loosen them. I've tried using T7 bits in T6 screws. I have something called Micro-Grabit that is a screw/bolt extractor but I'm hesitating using it because it will distroy the screws and I'm not sure if I can get replacements.

The knife companies probably run into this problem often when they repair their knives. They must know how to deal with those badly stuck screws.

Anyone have other suggestions that have worked for you?

Here's how I finally got those stubborn torx screws out. I used a dremel to carefully cut a slot in the head of the screws and used a plain screwdriver to unscrew them.

Here's one of the T6 torx screws (on the right) compared to untouched torx screws:

I'll post this on BladeForums too.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds