• Page:

TOPIC: Tilting Blade in Vice to Get Sweet Spot

Tilting Blade in Vice to Get Sweet Spot 2 months 1 day ago #17853

• mark76
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 383
wickededge wrote:
Curtis had a very good idea about this a while back that we're working on: a transparent ruler that the depth key can plug into. This ruler would extend upwards, allowing you to align the edge of the blade with various vertical marks such that any tilt would be recordable and repeatable. No time frame yet on development, but I'll keep everyone posted as we progress.

That's a great idea! Where would we be without Curtis? B)

I use Josh's idea too. But I try to minimize overall angle change, not just at the tip. That usually involves getting the angle right somewhere in between the tip and the straight part of the blade.
Last Edit: 2 months 1 day ago by mark76.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Tilting Blade in Vice to Get Sweet Spot 1 month 2 weeks ago #18003

• blacksheep25
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
I have been messing with the tilted blade from day one trying to eliminate (or minimize) the wide sharpening grind near the tip. I think I read a really good post somewhere about fitting the curvature of the blade to the arc of the arms; that's my application of theory in a nut shell.

I usually try to find the middle of the curved area and center it over the vise. On a fairly curvy blade like an Emerson Commander, I've sharpened the front half at a different angle than the back, but the transition area needs to be feathered in (not recommended if you're going for a mirror finish).

Anyway, here are a couple of examples, and lot more pics in my photobucket link in my profile.

Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by blacksheep25.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge, razoredgeknives, Geocyclist, LeoBarr, GibCurry

Tilting Blade in Vice to Get Sweet Spot 1 month 2 weeks ago #18004

• tcmeyer
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 192
Black Sheep:

That's a very nice batch of blades you have there. I'm interested in that last one, which seems to have been ground very elegantly to a very thin edge. What is it? Does the photo show it before or after you've sharpened it? Can you share that sort of info?

And are these knives yours? Customers'? Friends'? A mix?
Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by tcmeyer.

Tilting Blade in Vice to Get Sweet Spot 1 month 2 weeks ago #18010

• Geocyclist
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 154
Hey Black Sheep,

Thanks for the excellent photos. :woohoo:

On many I see crosses drawn in pencil. What are you dong here? How do you position the cross on the blade and then in the vice?

Once you figure it out the first time how do you measure/record to be able to put it back the same way next time?

Tilting Blade in Vice to Get Sweet Spot 1 month 2 weeks ago #18011

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 356
For those that are interested, I suppose I should put this video here too... here is a quick easy way to figure out how to tilt your blade in the vise at the right angle

The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge, mark76, DannyBoy2k, Mikedoh

Tilting Blade in Vice to Get Sweet Spot 1 month 2 weeks ago #18018

• blacksheep25
  • Senior Boarder
tcmeyer wrote:
Black Sheep:

That's a very nice batch of blades you have there. I'm interested in that last one, which seems to have been ground very elegantly to a very thin edge. What is it? Does the photo show it before or after you've sharpened it? Can you share that sort of info?

And are these knives yours? Customers'? Friends'? A mix?

I only do sharpening as a hobby, so either my knives or friends knives. Look in my photobucket album, I have a lot more pics; for the post above I only grabbed the pics with the side view clamped to illustrate the point.

Tilting Blade in Vice to Get Sweet Spot 1 month 2 weeks ago #18019

• blacksheep25
  • Senior Boarder
Geocyclist wrote:
Hey Black Sheep,

Thanks for the excellent photos. :woohoo:

On many I see crosses drawn in pencil. What are you dong here? How do you position the cross on the blade and then in the vice?

Once you figure it out the first time how do you measure/record to be able to put it back the same way next time?

I was trying to come up with a system to replicate the clamp position. In general I'm trying to find the sweet spot, and by marking the blade then taking a picture, I can attempt to clamp it in the same place. However, most times I just guess-timate the location and sharpen it.

My general sharpening philosophy is that I don't try to make the sharpening perfect, since every little bit of metal is blade life. Which is also why I don't describe to the super polished edge finishes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geocyclist

Tilting Blade in Vice to Get Sweet Spot 1 month 2 weeks ago #18022

• mark76
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 383
Very ingenious, Josh! So simple, yet I've never seen anybody come up with it.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds