Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Scissor Sharpening with a Stock PP2?

Scissor Sharpening with a Stock PP2? 1 year 2 weeks ago #13195

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 356
I haven't looked into all the upgrade packages... but one of my best friends is the primary scissor sharpening trainer for Wolff at their primary business location here in Spartanburg, SC. He hooked me up w/ some very helpful training on the TAS. I actually watched him completely convex a beveled edge into a mirror finished, can't-tell-it-was-beveled at all edge. He did this with the upgrade kit to the TAS and it took about 15-20 minutes. He said w/ the Hira-To flat hone (cost around $2k I believe) he can do them in 10 minutes (which, at $20-30/scissor isn't bad). I actually have seen the Hira-To in action as well, and it is variable speed and virtually fool proof w/ the incredible jigs Wolff offers.

As Zig stated, both the sanding blocks/sand paper and the water stones work great for honing the ride line.

I will actually be targeting fabric/household type scissors that are used by businesses in the near future... I can charge $6-7.50/pair and per my friend, when you get good, you can get your time down on the TAS to 2-3 minutes. Not bad for a business =)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Scissor Sharpening with a Stock PP2? 1 year 2 weeks ago #13202

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 199
zig wrote:
EamonMcGowan wrote:
Wow! Zig thanks for the education!! You answered so many questions that came up for me watching vids. So I guess the Ookami is the one to get? It seems like if you do some nicer scissors it will be able to accommodate the customer?
I really appreciate you taking the time!! :cheer:

Call Wolff and see how much the upgrade is. You may just want the regular pro model to start. If things warrant it you can always get the other parts.

Same with the convex clamp .. $200 clams ... will you need it and when?

Right now, I'm not aggressively going after salons, so end up mostly using the standard wheels for fabric and household shears as thats what I'm getting.

Yeah I think your right! The Pro model will do everything I'm Looking for. I thought about going after the salons and They (stylist) are just not the market I want these days? :ohmy: (No offense meant if you are a stylist?) And if I did I think I would want the flat hone just to make sure! Stylist pay REAL money for their scissors and I don't want to be buying new ones for them! :S
I am however interested in doing the ones I do get done correctly. Lucky for me the pair that broke are cheap enough to replace, but doing that sure takes away any profit for the day! :blink:
Again I have to say I love this forum :woohoo: I learn so much here and it is a great group of guys! B)
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!

Scissor Sharpening with a Stock PP2? 1 year 2 weeks ago #13203

• zig
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37
razoredgeknives wrote:
I actually watched him completely convex a beveled edge into a mirror finished, can't-tell-it-was-beveled at all edge. He did this with the upgrade kit to the TAS and it took about 15-20 minutes.

I will actually be targeting fabric/household type scissors that are used by businesses in the near future... I can charge $6-7.50/pair and per my friend, when you get good, you can get your time down on the TAS to 2-3 minutes. Not bad for a business =)

REK, the edge doesn't care that you used a wheel. If it cuts, it cuts.
Depending on competition in the area, then salons see the difference visually as flat hones do a "nicer" job, especially on those colored shears :dry: , pinky in the air stuff :)

I know a guy that has a thriving biz ... 3 TAS's and a Clipper grinder. He's talented and will take on the expensive shears so it is doable.

On Fabric, hit the craft stores and fabric shops and ask/find the clubs, good source.
Here they can't find anyone!
Also, groomers .... many are flat bevel and need teeth to get through the tuff hair.
Barbers are a good flat scissor go to as well.
www.zbsharpening.com
Knife Sharpening Service
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
908-635-2748

Scissor Sharpening with a Stock PP2? 1 year 2 weeks ago #13204

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 199
razoredgeknives wrote:
I haven't looked into all the upgrade packages... but one of my best friends is the primary scissor sharpening trainer for Wolff at their primary business location here in Spartanburg, SC. He hooked me up w/ some very helpful training on the TAS. I actually watched him completely convex a beveled edge into a mirror finished, can't-tell-it-was-beveled at all edge. He did this with the upgrade kit to the TAS and it took about 15-20 minutes. He said w/ the Hira-To flat hone (cost around $2k I believe) he can do them in 10 minutes (which, at $20-30/scissor isn't bad). I actually have seen the Hira-To in action as well, and it is variable speed and virtually fool proof w/ the incredible jigs Wolff offers.

As Zig stated, both the sanding blocks/sand paper and the water stones work great for honing the ride line.

Josh,
Sorry :( I completely missed your input when I answered Zig. I think you nail it on the head as well! :P $7.50 for a couple minutes work is real doable!! I'm pretty darn sure I can make the system pay for itself. :cheer:

Clay,
Would love to hear your thoughts? Pro/Con should I spend the money or wait for you? I would much rather put money in your pocket :woohoo: then in Wolf's!! Yes-No-Maybe??? :huh:
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!

Scissor Sharpening with a Stock PP2? 1 year 2 weeks ago #13279

• FredHermann
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 41
cbwx34 wrote:
FredHermann wrote:
I had to use a q-tip as an angle shim to get the scissors to an angle the WEPS could handle.

I need a picture I guess... I stuck a Q-tip everywhere I could think... couldn't figure it out. :side:

Can you snap one or two?

Sorry for the slow response.
I'll try to get a picture or three asap.
The picture of wedging is how I used it, and wow, great info guys.
As an aside, I only finished Mom's scissors to 800 grit on the main face so they stayed a little 'toothy'
“On one otherwise normal Tuesday evening I had the chance to live the American dream. I was able to throw my incompetent jack*ss of a boss from a fourteenth-story window.”

Owen Pitt – Monster Hunter International
Last Edit: 1 year 2 weeks ago by FredHermann.

Scissor Sharpening with a Stock PP2? 1 year 1 week ago #13388

• DanMaloon
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 62
Who put a mirror edge on a pair of fiskers covered with old fish guts today ??...this guy

Attachment hb12e7c2.jpg not found

Attachment hfe75adf.jpg not found

t
The following user(s) said Thank You: razoredgeknives

Scissor Sharpening with a Stock PP2? 1 year 5 days ago #13520

• DanMaloon
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 62
Last one. Cool photo I think
Last Edit: 1 year 5 days ago by DanMaloon.

Scissor Sharpening with a Stock PP2? 1 year 4 days ago #13523

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
Nice work Dan. :woohoo:

I was playing around with ideas to sharpen scissors and took my old angle arm (that I have mounted to a piece of aluminum), and came up with this...

h6ebc36d.jpg

...clamped it 90 deg. to the main bar, and matched the angle using a Sharpie. Got 'em sharp! :) (My first scissors on the WE!)
The following user(s) said Thank You: DARRELLALLEN, DanMaloon

Scissor Sharpening with a Stock PP2? 1 year 4 days ago #13526

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 237
That looks like an interesting solution for scissors that almost looks like it would work for chisels as well.

Scissor Sharpening with a Stock PP2? 1 year 4 days ago #13527

• JedBowen
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
A great and cheap solution that I already have the pieces to since I made up my axe jig and took your advice for that setup. I will say that this cheap setup will work with a couple of tweaks to keep it from moving around, but good and simple.

I hate to see this but if we keep up making our own gadgets like this maybe Clay will speed up his gizmo line. But I hope someone will come up with a good serration sharpener so we don't have to wait another 6 months.
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds